Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Rom Hack (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   DW4 Control and Difficulty Mod (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14233)

KwizzleHazzizle 05-28-2010 12:33 AM

DW4 Control and Difficulty Mod

Ok, here's the deal, I'm working on a mod to make Dragon Warrior 4 harder. I also want to give full party control to the player.

Here's what I can do so far:

-Change any enemy stats
-Give an enemy any ability (If I can first find another enemy with the same ability)
-Make an enemy drop more gold/exp
-Give control of the party to the player *However you can no longer swap characters out of the wagon* (All I did here was change the same byte in the rom that the Game Genie changes )

My Goal:

I want to make the whole game harder, but for now I've thought most about making chapter 5 harder. I want to concentrate on bosses first, namely Necrosaro, Esturk and the 4 Guardians in the dark world. I will also boost some regular enemies that should be stronger ,so that when you run into them you have a real chance of dying ie: MasterMalice and OgreBasher, (Think of how hard Kragacles from DW3 or double Behemoths/RedDragons from FF4 were). After that I'll concentrate on the other bosses and some of the normal enemies of chapter 5 and then maybe the first 4 chapters. Oh, and I also want to be able to wagon swap characters while still being able to control them.

What I want from you guys:

Suggestions!

If any of you are big fans of Dragon Warrior 4 or just the dragon warrior series in general I'd like to know who you think should be made stronger and how. Ie: You'd like to see a metal babble with 7hp instead of 5 and leave 2x the exp etc.. or have a certain monster have a different/additional spell or ability and have more turns ( I can give up to 3 attacks per round to a monster)

Eventually I might need some testers but that won't be for a while ;)

Let me know if this interests you so I can give updates etc...
Thanks!

InVerse 05-28-2010 03:08 AM

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to use the DS version?

KwizzleHazzizle 05-28-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker (Post 99671)
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to use the DS version?

Sure, control wise it would be since you can already control your guys in chap5

However... The DS version looks and sounds gross, so I'll stick to nes.

Maximum Potion 05-28-2010 04:10 AM

Not to forget that the DS version is easier to begin with, and has that weapon on Alena that hits multiple enemies, making it a lot more work to make a harder version.

InVerse 05-28-2010 12:21 PM

Having barely played DW4, I don't know a whole lot about it but I've yet to see a game that really needs to have it's difficulty inflated artificially. Any player who wants more of a challenge can generally do so within the natural confines of the game. For instance, I've beaten the original Dragon Warrior without using any weapons what-so-ever. (No, you don't need Erdrick's Sword to damage the Dragon Lord. You have to *find* Erdrick's Sword but you can then immediately warp back to the castle and sell the sword in Brecconary for 1GP while retaining the ability to do damage to the Dragon Lord.)

As for the DS version "looking and sounding gross", that's easy enough to fix. Replace the DS graphics and sound with those from the NES. And it's generally pretty simple to remove particular weapons.

But hey, it's your project so it's not my place to tell you how to do it. I'm sure the other two people who will play it will enjoy it.

KwizzleHazzizle 05-28-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker (Post 99682)
I've yet to see a game that really needs to have it's difficulty inflated artificially.

Since you cannot control your characters directly they don't always do the smartest things, so DW4 was made much easier than the previous games in the series.

Quote:

For instance, I've beaten the original Dragon Warrior without using any weapons what-so-ever.
Cool, I didn't know that was possible.

Quote:

But hey, it's your project so it's not my place to tell you how to do it. I'm sure the other two people who will play it will enjoy it.
Thanks for the encouragement!!:hearton::bigthumbup: