Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Site Questions / Suggestions (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Proposing a new Forum Structure (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9192)

Edman 07-14-2008 01:14 PM

Proposing a new Forum Structure

As per Soushkin's and Cornellius' suggestions and my ideas, I'd like to propose the following new forum structure:

- Emulation Talk
--- General Emulation
--- Rom Hacking
--- Emulation News
--- Submit Emulation News
- Talk of the Town
--- General Chat
--- Tech Talk
--- Gaming / Console Talk
- Website Talk
--- Announcements
--- Questions / Suggestions
--- Internal Affairs
--- Archive

These changes include
- merging Diaries and Talk of the Town into General Chat. At the moment Diaries and Talk of the Town are virtually indistinguishable from one another anyway.
- merging political discussion with General Chat. Political discussion is virtually inactive, most threads are already general chat, and politics based threads rarely come more than one at a time anyway.
- adding a Gaming / Console chat forum
- re-arranging a few things

Other proposed changes include:
- Add Graphics, Music, Movies forums (under Talk of the Town)
- Splitting Emulation Talk into subforums about different systems

What do you think?

kappa 07-14-2008 02:07 PM

New structure looks good and logical. How about also enabling RSS feeds for the forums/site?

lexmetroid 07-14-2008 02:59 PM

I like it.

An RSS feed would make things even better, if possible.

Ugly Joe 07-14-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 79799)
Other proposed changes include:
- Add Graphics, Music, Movies forums (under Talk of the Town)
- Splitting Emulation Talk into subforums about different systems

These both seem a bit excessive to me. Everything else looks good.

Cornellius 07-14-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Joe (Post 79821)

I'm with Ugly Joe on this one.

Iconoclast 07-14-2008 05:13 PM

Almost every emulation site I've seen applied the two changes quoted as excessive. They can be excessive; it just depends on the activity of the forum.

I kind of like this site for standing out though, so my say is at least for now the emulation forum should be divided.

Rattlehead 07-14-2008 07:23 PM

Although I do find the Graphics, Music and Movies forums that you proposed to be a bit overkill, I do like the idea of splitting the Emulation Talk forums into subgroups based on consoles.

Stonerfuck 07-14-2008 09:02 PM

Don't fuck with the backroom, it's a tradition.

Also, how about adding an image board?

Lillymon 07-14-2008 09:20 PM

I believe SwampGas once said the rule was that new boards were made based on demand. A lot of people wanting to sell things resulted in the Classifieds, and a lot of political topics resulted in the Backroom. While things may have changed since then, I for one think that this is a sensible way to go about things. Since we have very little use of the boards right now, I think new ones would just make the place look even more empty.

Let's just wait for a while and see which boards are used and what topics people decide to start in Talk of the Town. We can use those two factors to determine which new boards are needed and which old boards should be folded into others.

The 9th Sage 07-15-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Joe (Post 79821)

I also agree with what Joe said.