Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Finding a job (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12987)

pipes 12-19-2009 02:16 PM

Finding a job

How does one go about finding a job? I stay at shitty jobs for years too long to know. What is your strategy? Why is careerbuilder, and the like, a joke? Fuck staffing agencies.

shawn 12-19-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipes (Post 96568)
How does one go about finding a job? I stay at shitty jobs for years too long to know. What is your strategy? Why is careerbuilder, and the like, a joke? Fuck staffing agencies.

I've been at the same pretty low paying job for years because the bosses are great and understanding when you are having a bad day. I do know though that a lot of time like the saying goes "It's who you know" that matters more than anything. A good referral is worth it's weight in gold from the right person and is the best way to get even a chance at a good job and an interview where they are looking for how much you know not what you are trying to hide that was falsified on the application.

The other way is to just keep going back over and over to the place you want to work. It seems strange but unless you have a crappy application to them it shows you focus on your goals and are relentless in attaining them "positive action/thinking".

Reaper man 12-19-2009 03:25 PM

I'm sticking this becasue I'd like to know as well, particularly IT jobs, not shit retail/food industry ones.... also renaming topic because I can.

toasterhed 12-24-2009 10:53 PM

Hitting the nail on the head...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 96570)
not shit retail/food industry ones.... .

Agreed. :mystery:

Sliver-X 03-20-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 96570)
I'm sticking this becasue I'd like to know as well, particularly IT jobs, not shit retail/food industry ones.... also renaming topic because I can.

I work in IT...

Certifications will go further than most anything for landing an IT job. The A+, Network+, MCITP and CCNA would land you most any non-programming IT job if you have them all.

A+ alone is basically bare minimum, so worry about it first before anything else.

Reaper man 03-20-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliver-X (Post 98289)
I work in IT...

Certifications will go further than most anything for landing an IT job.

I have an associates degree in computer engineering.... and I've been told that certs are getting less and less relevant.

Sliver-X 03-21-2010 03:07 PM

Yeah, I have the same degree, and my certs have proven to be far more valuable than it for landing the jobs I've had since getting it.

Employers like the fact that certs *prove* you at least know a minimum baseline of things they'll want you to do. A degree certainly helps (And you'll need a bachelor's, most likely, if you ever want to move into management), but certs becoming less relavent is certainly news to me: In fact, I'd say the opposite is true.

OldNESJunkie 03-22-2010 04:12 AM

Employers in my area pretty much have gotten to the point if you have a cert it doesn't mean a thing. You still have to have the experience behind it or you are not getting the job.............period.

pipes 03-31-2010 02:13 AM

$40 to $60 a year with a degree or $20 to $30 with certifications

cbxweb 05-13-2010 10:40 AM

I live in LA. Nothing makes sense. You could get a job as a media buyer with limited experience or have a Bachelor be required for a $12hr job.