Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Game Controllers (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11884)

Randy S 08-01-2009 08:11 PM

Game Controllers

We have a PS2 Emulator and a Virtual NES loaded on a PC. Which controller do I hook up for the Virtual NES and which card do I buy to install in a PCI Slot? How do I know which game card controller to use / buy that works with both the PS2 Emulator and Virtual NES games? Which game controllers are compatible and will work for the games. Currently we have lots of Virtual NES games loaded but cant get a game controller connected until we know which card to install in a PCI slot.Do I need to buy special PS2 games for installing on a PC or will a CDROM drive let me install the PS2 games we already have? Any help would be appreciated!!! Email me [email]randyswon@yahoo.com[/email]

Reaper man 08-01-2009 08:26 PM

For some reason... your rather incoherent post made my brain hurt. :retard:

I'll try to tackle each issue in the order in which I read. hm, ok, you want to use a controller. I don't know how old your PC is (I'm going to assume modern, since you are attempting to run a PS2 emulator on it). From what I'm trying to understand from your post, you are attempting to plug a good ol fashioned PS2/NES controller to your PC, and you think that there's a PCI solution for that. Well to put it simply, there isn't. If you are really hell bent on using the original controller, you'll need a usb adapter for the PS2 controller (example. I have two, they work pretty nice) and for the NES, look here.

ok, now for PS2 emulation and loading games on there. Before I help you with that, I'd like to know your PC specs so that I can tell you if it's even feasible to do on your machine. Just so you know I run a quad core 2 at 3GHz and I own a GTX 280 and even I wasn't able to get FFX up to snuff (then again, FFX, like most squeenix games, is a bitch to emulate).

InVerse 08-01-2009 08:27 PM

I'm not understanding where the PCI slot comes into play here. Do they actually still make controllers that require a specific controller port? Every controller I've bought in the past 7 years has had a USB connector.

Any USB controller should work for any relatively modern game/emulator (and quite a few older games.) Personally, I'm using an X-Box 360 controller and it works perfectly fine on everything from NES emulators up to PSX emulators. (I haven't attempted to emulate any consoles more modern than that.)

Randy S 08-02-2009 07:35 AM

Thanks Reaperman for the link. I'll buy a USB Adapter soon. The computer that my grandson is using is about a 850 MHZ PC with 256 mb ram. He has xp home I think (don't remember checking) with service pack 3. It is nothing fancy and isn't even a decent gaming computer. A friend of his loaded Virtual NES with lots of what look like DOS games (win32 game programs) and the PS2 Emulator.

My two home computers are 1.8 GHZ (512 mb ram) and 1.7 ghz (256 mb ram) both with XP pro. One has service pack 2 and the other doesn't. I haven't downloaded either the Virtual NES or the PS2 Emulator. I don't know if I want to yet.

Thanks for your superb assistance!!!

Thank you Inverse for your reply!!!

Isildur 08-02-2009 07:53 AM

Eep, please do yourself a favor and patch those computers to SP3! Vulnerabilities can let in some nasty stuff...

Reaper man 08-02-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91924)
My two home computers are 1.8 GHZ (512 mb ram) and 1.7 ghz (256 mb ram) both with XP pro. One has service pack 2 and the other doesn't. I haven't downloaded either the Virtual NES or the PS2 Emulator. I don't know if I want to yet.

from the sound of it, it sounds like your computers are a few years old, and probably don't have the power necessary to run PS2 games at a playable speed. I wouldn't really bother.

Randy S 08-02-2009 09:18 PM

Reaper man, don't be so discouraging because your first advice was so right on. I'll give the usb adapter a whirl soon and (even though the games may lag at times), I'm certain they'll be enjoyable. Our computers are old but still good enough. If we could afford to buy new advanced gaming computers every couple of years we would. We do with what we have. Thanks again and remain the best at everything you do.

Isildur, you are almost funny hilarious. The only vulnerabilities I'm concerned about are the lack of humor given without cupcakes and SP3 should mean Such Privilege for three instead of Service Pack 3. Everyone one loves constant maintenance in the form of Automatic updates from Microsoft. Tee Hee, Cee Me, I'm so wee wee on the totem pole of computer FAQS.

Reaper man 08-02-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91955)
Reaper man, don't be so discouraging because your first advice was so right on. I'll give the usb adapter a whirl soon and (even though the games may lag at times), I'm certain they'll be enjoyable. Our computers are old but still good enough. If we could afford to buy new advanced gaming computers every couple of years we would. We do with what we have. Thanks again and remain the best at everything you do.

I don't exactly know how old your computers are, but I get this feeling that they are old enough to the point where PCSX2 would refuse to run. If you could tell me the CPUs those machines are running (video card info would be great too), I could tell you definitively if it'll run or not.

Isildur 08-02-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Isildur, you are almost funny hilarious. The only vulnerabilities I'm concerned about are the lack of humor given without cupcakes and SP3 should mean Such Privilege for three instead of Service Pack 3. Everyone one loves constant maintenance in the form of Automatic updates from Microsoft. Tee Hee, Cee Me, I'm so wee wee on the totem pole of computer FAQS.

Sorry, I was just giving what I thought was prudent advice; I had no idea that this was a topic that could spring your sprockets and scatter your screws, let alone grind your gears...
o_O

InVerse 08-03-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

I'll happily provide some cupcakes if you'll join my botnet.

The 9th Sage 08-04-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isildur (Post 91958)
Sorry, I was just giving what I thought was prudent advice; I had no idea that this was a topic that could spring your sprockets and scatter your screws, let alone grind your gears...
o_O

He's saying he wants cupcake privileges.

ToastyCheesy 08-04-2009 09:11 AM

Woah, woah. Anyone aware the PS3 controllers work perfectly fine on the PC? I've had 4 controllers hooked up at once one time for mario kart 64 fun. the drivers for the controller are unofficial, but work great, they support the Joysticks, pressure sensitive buttons, analog triggers, motion sensor, and vibration, if on a dualshock. Google for Motioninjoy for the drivers. The controllers also just hookup to your computer using the Mini USB cord that comes with just about everything these days.

InVerse 08-04-2009 11:36 AM

X-Box 360 wired controllers hook up to a PC with the same connector with which they connect to the 360 *and* they connect to a decent console system as well. ;)

For $20, you can get a wireless adapter that allows for four controllers to be connected at once. And the drivers are official, for obvious reasons.

(Granted, I'm biased. The controller is the primary reason I've always hated Sony systems.)

Isildur 08-04-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 91994)
He's saying he wants cupcake privileges.

By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, cupcake privileges must be earned!!!

The 9th Sage 08-04-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy (Post 92000)
Woah, woah. Anyone aware the PS3 controllers work perfectly fine on the PC? I've had 4 controllers hooked up at once one time for mario kart 64 fun. the drivers for the controller are unofficial, but work great, they support the Joysticks, pressure sensitive buttons, analog triggers, motion sensor, and vibration, if on a dualshock. Google for Motioninjoy for the drivers. The controllers also just hookup to your computer using the Mini USB cord that comes with just about everything these days.

Actually, forgot about this. For that matter, with some Bluetooth hardware you can connect a Wiimote to your computer and use a Classic Controller (or whatever else) for some games.

ToastyCheesy 08-04-2009 10:53 PM

That's right, Bluetooth. Forgot about that as well, My bluetooth dongle got smashed recently, and I haven't had a wii in over 6-7 months.

I've had one of those Wireless adaptors for 360 controllers, but I bought one back when they were $50, and I actually don't like the 360 controller myself. I'm pretty biased against most things 360, since every 360 anyone's had in these parts has always..... died. either the red ring, internal implosion, (you could actually here it thunk inside and make a light poof) or it would eat discs, and grind to the point the disc was no longer usable.

I'm starting to think I'm one of the only PS3 owners on the board, so I'll try keeping the console fighting to a hush minimum :)

I'm not one to usually fight about why the other console is bad to begin with, I usually just brag about something I can do. I still brag about owning a Dreamcast

InVerse 08-05-2009 12:07 AM

I'll admit that I got pretty damn lucky with my 360. I've had it for over a year now and it hasn't had a single problem, despite having the old video card in it that's known for dying. My sister, on the other hand, has apparently killed two so far and is on her third one. (Of course, she also has like 30 different systems altogether, so I'm not predisposed to feel sorry for her when one of them dies. Any time you tell someone you want to play a particular game and they pull out the 360, PS3 and Wii versions and ask which one you want to play...) My best friend's 360 did the grinding thing about a week after he got it, destroyed 2 games. And then there's me, with no problems at all.

I got the wireless adapter free, basically. Wal-Mart.com had a deal where if you bought $50 and paid with PayPal, you got $20 cash back. Well, I wanted one of the Wal-Mart exclusive Dragon controllers for 360, but the damn website had them for $49.99, ten bucks cheaper than the stores. Since I couldn't find anything for a penny, I eventually settled on the $20 wireless adapter, basically getting it for free as well as $10 off a controller I was about to buy anyway.

I'm not a *huge* fan of the 360 controller, though I like it better than anything else currently. I used to think Dreamcast was my favourite controller, but I bought one a few months ago and apparently that's no longer the case. Or maybe the controller is still fine, it certainly fits in my hand the best, but the play control on the games seems so shitty compared to modern systems.

I was mostly joking about my shots at the PS3. Of course, it's a lot easier to not be bitter when the console you dislike is no longer dominating the market. ;) I'm almost at the point where I actually kind of feel sorry for PS3 owners.

puduhead 08-05-2009 04:38 PM

Logitech Dual Action USB - $20

I don't own any next gen systems so buying a PC controller makes sense for me.

I'm pretty happy with the Logitech Dual Action USB.

http://www.logitech.com/repository/95/jpg/444.1.0.jpg

$20

Supported Operating Systems:
Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me, Windows® XP, Windows® *Vista™

*compatibility problems on Vista 64bit.

haha - 5 min video review :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtXI-FRvY8g

neemoxtrm 10-05-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy (Post 92000)

Could you explain how you were able to get all 4 controllers to work at the same time with Motioninjoy? Were they wired or connected through bluetooth? Also, did PJ64 (I'm assuming) recognize the controllers as distinct?

Cornellius 10-05-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puduhead (Post 92035)

[insert controller picture here]

$20

I have the same controller as you. I heart it.

Fla Flash 10-06-2009 06:42 PM

My neighbor loaned me his...he's not getting it back. Ever.

Lillymon 10-07-2009 01:01 PM

After years of disappointment with various PC game controllers, my current solution is a PS2 controller and a Super Dual Box Pro to connect it to my PC. It works brilliantly.

jdev 10-12-2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVerse (Post 92005)
X-Box 360 wired controllers hook up to a PC with the same connector with which they connect to the 360 *and* they connect to a decent console system as well. ;)

For $20, you can get a wireless adapter that allows for four controllers to be connected at once. And the drivers are official, for obvious reasons.

(Granted, I'm biased. The controller is the primary reason I've always hated Sony systems.)

Seriously? The PSX/2 controllers were the best ones since the SNES controllers (although the SNES controllers are a little small for grown up hands). I use my old non-dual shock PSX controller as my usual PC controller, but not my PS2 is dead, I think my PS2 controller is getting a promotion.

Although, I guess if you have short thumbs I could understand why you might prefer a controller that puts the analog sticks closer to your thumbs, but the Xbox controllers have a weird layout for FPS games.

Reaper man 10-12-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 94641)
but the Xbox controllers have a weird layout for FPS games.

You shouldn't be using a game controller for FPS games anyway.

jdev 10-14-2009 02:33 AM

You have to on consoles, though.

Reaper man 10-14-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 94828)
You have to on consoles, though.

Which is why one should never play FPS games on consoles, duh.

The 9th Sage 10-14-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 94852)
Which is why one should never play FPS games on consoles, duh.

I still say that FPS games work great on the Wii.

jdev 10-15-2009 01:30 AM

I haven't tried any. I always thought they could work well on the Wii, possibly even better than on PC. Which games are good on the Wii?

The 9th Sage 10-15-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 94924)
I haven't tried any. I always thought they could work well on the Wii, possibly even better than on PC. Which games are good on the Wii?

Metroid Prime Trilogy is a good one to try (I mean, it's the three Metroid Prime games for $40, can't really go wrong there). The Conduit is ok, it's multiplayer is pretty fun, though I was hoping for more from the single playe rmode.

Or were you talking in general rather than FPS games?

jdev 10-15-2009 05:02 AM

I'm planning on picking up Metroid Prime Trilogy at some point. I just bought Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. I meant to pick it up when it came out, but somehow I forgot about it. Which isn't all bad, since I got it for 20 bucks instead of the 50 it probably cost when it came out.

The 9th Sage 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 94937)
I'm planning on picking up Metroid Prime Trilogy at some point. I just bought Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. I meant to pick it up when it came out, but somehow I forgot about it. Which isn't all bad, since I got it for 20 bucks instead of the 50 it probably cost when it came out.

How is it, anyway? Isn't it a rouge-like?

jdev 10-15-2009 08:11 PM

I'm really enjoying it. It's a rogue-like. It simplifies some of the stuff in the PSX Chocobo's Dungeon, like getting rid of the digging. It adds a job/class system, each job has eight levels. There's a bunch of dungeons, and even some special rule dungeons (which can be extremely annoying, like the 1 HP dungeon). Apparently there's a dungeon where you're limited to 1HP, but the enemies have normal HP. I haven't unlocked that yet, but I'm not looking forward to it. I'd definitely recommend it. It's cutesy (it's about Chocobo, after all) and the voice acting is pretty bad, but it's a solid game. One of my favorite things about Square games is they tend to hold your hand just enough that even games that have fairly complicated mechanics don't drive you insane (unlike NIS games). I go all Red Mage in stuff like Phantom Brave and then give up because I make it too complicated by trying to min-max.

The 9th Sage 10-16-2009 03:09 AM

Heh. I should try it...I'm a sucker for Rouge-likes. Like Baroque (which is also on the Wii). That one is an odd one....strange setting, sometimes a really odd story (some of which gets revealed by you dying).

I still have to beat it though. I got one of the endings, but that's really only the beginning.

Burzy 10-16-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puduhead (Post 92035)

http://www.logitech.com/repository/95/jpg/444.1.0.jpg

$20

I have two of these bad boys and they are AWESOME. I was able to run playstation one emulators(psxfin, and epsxe) on my system (but not PS2, 2 gig processor, 1 gig of ram, and a Sapphire ATI radaeon HD 3650 512mb card (old system)
the controllers were perfect for all types of emulation so far.

(on a side note, ive always wondered if it were possible to configure them to work for my online game so i dont have to use keyboard.. but i'll keep dreaming lol)

puduhead 11-14-2009 11:13 PM

I'm a Street Fighter Emulating fool now thanks to today's $11 thrift store score:

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/IMAGES/1...iiware-500.jpg
Asciiware psx arcade stick and a psx controller to parallel adapter

control is responsive using the aldotools direct pad drivers. also my gaming pc is on a kiosk so this is a pretty nice arcade sensation. :)

*edit photo of ensuing fun:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/705/pcpsxkiosk.jpg

Fla Flash 11-15-2009 02:13 PM

Damn! Thanks for reminding me....I've got one of those at my neighbor's house. I think it's time to get it back..

The 9th Sage 11-16-2009 04:21 AM

Like the bottom picture Pudu. :)

Maximum Potion 11-16-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla Flash (Post 95901)
Damn! Thanks for reminding me....I've got one of those at my neighbor's house. I think it's time to get it back..

Is that what old people do? Leave their things at their neighbours houses?

Fla Flash 11-16-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximum Potion (Post 95921)
Is that what old people do? Leave their things at their neighbours houses?

No.
We stand outside and scream, "Get off my lawn, you little bastids"

kittyslasher 12-24-2009 09:14 AM

I would like some USB joysticks in the form of a buttplug to hit sex toy stores.

USB shall be backronymed as Utterly Sexual Buttplug!

Because I have alot of morbidly gay nigger friends who play old school video games; and they have hardcore buttfucking gay nigger sex when they do. They are too poor to afford next gen consoles, so they use antiquated Windows 2000 computers for their emulators. If we were to make a vibrating buttplug to respond to rumble pak signals for N64 emulators, they could get a superb orgasm when playing racing games.

eSPy 12-29-2009 01:27 AM

ive got a Thrustmaster (best name ever) Firestorm Dual Analog 2. picked it up at a garage sale for $2 :P works great for DC and N64 emulation and has more than enough buttons and joysticks for anything. 6 shoulder buttons ftw?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg