Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hardest games youve ever played (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9856)

Triggs 10-26-2008 04:49 AM

Hardest games youve ever played
 
On Normal difficulty settings

Nes: Battle Toads - This game is so frickin frustratingly hard. i dont know how many times i've tried to beat that game. i probably could beat it now with emulators and save states and what not.

Ultima Exodus: Never even knew what to do in this game. Fun game, just very hard and with no direction.

Marble Madness: errrrrrg. the damn game only had like 5 levels and i was so close.

Genesis: Eternal Champions - The most ridiculously hard fighting game ever

Snes: Raiden and Gradius *sigh*

GB/GBA/DS: Do they have ANY hard games? Maybe Fire Emblem

PSX: Legend of Legaia. Maybe MGS.

PS2: Devil May Cry. The Red Star - Both are very tough and frustrating.

WII: So far Mega Man 9 - i've been a huge old school megaman fan since forever. beat 1-8 and a couple of the X series'. 9 is the only one to ever feel unfair/cheap to me.

X360: Rainbow Six Vegas, Ghost Recon - I just suck at those teamwork/tactics/stealth shooters. Im more of a run and gun.


Systems i've never owned dont appear on my list excluding atari, intellivision, etc. I hate to use cheat codes and strategy guides/faqs and its extremely rare for me to use one unless something just seems absolutely impossible and i cannot figure it out - normally after dying a million times. i'll generally just tough it out.

Umiliphus 10-26-2008 05:12 AM

I knew what to do in Ultima Exodus, but just couldn't. Not until emulation allowed me to control the very flow of time itself, anyway. It's too slow for all the gold gathering you have to do before going up ANY levels to be bearable. The wacky translation, despite the original computer version being in English, certainly did not help, with regards to finding out how to do anything.

AkaneJones 10-26-2008 12:35 PM

Bruce Lee on the Apple ][e, when the game isn't corrupt so you have infinite lives. Hell the game's tough enough with unlimited live, although you can't actual beat it cause it freezes.

Ghosts and Goblins Nes, no need to mention that.

That damn infernal final Canary Mary mini-game in Banjo-Tooie, brake your thumb why don't they.

Lillymon 10-26-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggs (Post 83746)
PS2: Devil May Cry.

I didn't think Devil May Cry was that hard. It was my first ever PS2 game and I beat it fairly comfortably on normal. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand, that is insane.

Umiliphus 10-26-2008 04:59 PM

I believe it's important to distinguish between real challenge and impossible, unapproachably obtuse rubbish. Most people who complained about Battletoads (I like to think there have been many) singled out level 3, but in actuality every step of everything after that point is bubbling over with cheap death, and rarely in the context of battle. Additionally, the implementation of "continue" was absolutely moronic in two player mode.
But then, to me, up until maybe 1993, almost every western developed console game in which lives were limited was near-impossible, if not totally. Even Plok, which I liked, I had to acknowledge I'd never be good enough for. At least, unlike an earlier draconian Software Creations game, Solstice, it allowed me to think I had a chance for a while. Imagine how astounded I was when Zophar had the nsm contest for Solstice and more than one person entered.

The NES version of Ghosts nuh Goblins had some bits of atrocious programming which unnaturally contributed to its already unreasonable demands, but at least it could be figured out and worked around. What was going on with "The Immortal?" I couldn't decode what that one wanted at all.

Triggs 10-26-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillymon (Post 83756)
I didn't think Devil May Cry was that hard. It was my first ever PS2 game and I beat it fairly comfortably on normal. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand, that is insane.

I think i just made things harder than they actually should have been with that one. still, was tough 4 me... but those style games are not my forte. as far as 3 goes i did have it but it and like 5 other ps2 games of mine have mysteriously vanished and i have no idea what happened to them. never even opened it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umiliphus (Post 83763)
I believe it's important to distinguish between real challenge and impossible, unapproachably obtuse rubbish. Most people who complained about Battletoads (I like to think there have been many) singled out level 3, but in actuality every step of everything after that point is bubbling over with cheap death, and rarely in the context of battle. Additionally, the implementation of "continue" was absolutely moronic in two player mode.
But then, to me, up until maybe 1993, almost every western developed console game in which lives were limited was near-impossible, if not totally. Even Plok, which I liked, I had to acknowledge I'd never be good enough for. At least, unlike an earlier draconian Software Creations game, Solstice, it allowed me to think I had a chance for a while. Imagine how astounded I was when Zophar had the nsm contest for Solstice and more than one person entered.

The NES version of Ghosts nuh Goblins had some bits of atrocious programming which unnaturally contributed to its already unreasonable demands, but at least it could be figured out and worked around. What was going on with "The Immortal?" I couldn't decode what that one wanted at all.

lol nicely put. yes battletoads was stupid hard. level three was actually pretty easy for me. It was maybe 3 or 4 levels or so after that one where u had to do the same thing in space ships with shifting barricades that always shattered my hopes as well as my toad. i dont really remember but i may have cleared that stage once. personally i dont ever once recall feeling it was cheap tho im sure im in the minority. however - impossible came to mind everytime i ever played that masochistic froggy death trap they deemed a game. but then again they are one n the same i guess. Few nes games could be called fair.
I despise the trend these days to substitute cheap tactics in games for smart AI, and good level design.

Well i forgot about ghost n goblins. i never owned that one but barely remember dying a few times at my uncles. another cheap nes game was Dragon Power. I hated that game but wanted to beat it. yup, im at peace with the fact that ill never ascend to the peak of victory mountain in any of those games.

Oh and as far as Ultima Exodus, i never had instructions or anything. I just remember the king saying go off and kill the darkness or whatever and that was it. i remember i didnt even kno how to heal my people except for wander around forever until they finally regenerated. heaven forbid they get poisoned or catch a cold. I always had a cleric but i dont remember them being too very useful. could never afford to revive anybody. leveling was a pain. my inept constantly missed every attack while the enemies were like elite super ninjas of pixelated hero thwarting doom. yup, those were the good ol' days :rolleyes:

kone191 10-27-2008 07:22 PM

I wanna be the guy :)

It's not any game for emulators but it's a very hard 8-bit platform game.
I managed to made it to final boss and yesterday played it about 3 hours straight and still couldn't make it :rolleyes:.
It's also very good game if you want challenge.

See videos and downloadlink in youtube if you want:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=0_b3E_...eature=related

Umiliphus 10-28-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggs (Post 83773)

yes battletoads was stupid hard.

I like the snake level and that's about it. Everything else becomes an endless groundhog day of savestates.

Quote:

Oh and as far as Ultima Exodus, i never had instructions or anything.
I didn't have an instruction book either. My cousin(s) owned the game and somehow I ended up with it (plus Ghosts 'n Goblins). You have to earn or steal, without being caught by guards, as much gold as you can carry, and you need to buy keys first for the good stuff. Then you advance to level 5 all at once (you can't go higher without the Mark of Kings) and wander around near the castle, away from any level 5 monsters, until you see a pirate ship to board, and then go into a whirlpool before having any more encounters since it's unlikely you'll survive many. And THEN you need to find the shrines and pay heaps of gold to increase your character statistics to the point where you can actually inflict decent weapon damage and cast useful spells. And you may find that your race selections, which at first seemed to affect nothing, limits your progress prematurely. It's absurd. There are probably other things you can purchase or find along the way which make the whole deal easier, but it's never clear what or where.

Air Fortress, that was nasty. I believe I inherited it from some up-the-street friend of mine, the same one from whom I acquired Solstice. A curious series of acquisitions, certainly.

Another sort of cheap challenge is found in Castlevania, in which if you die at the wrong point in level 5 it's almost impossible to win from where you're made to resume, and so must promptly dump your remaining lives and start the level over to have a chance. I hate that. Legend of the Mystical Goemon is even worse in that respect because of all the armor and restorative items which must be saved for and repurchased. I don't believe I ever even did that. For a single player, once you lose the first life you might as well turn the game off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kone191 (Post 83796)
I wanna be the guy :)

Based on just what I've typed in here, I'm probably not good enough for that, but pog knows I have to take whatever 2d hopfests I can get these days.

retroguiden 10-28-2008 04:09 PM

Many of the Megaman games were sadistic in how it tortured players for the tiniest mistake. Also, the first Donkey Kong game on Gamboy springs to mind. The complete idiots at Rare made you chase letters all around the stages to be able to save. Theoretically you could go through the entire game without getting the chance to save your game!

Umiliphus 10-28-2008 04:21 PM

A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism. I would have loved to use the "multiple hits with elec beam against [whatever the yellow blob monster is called]" technique I used to see so much ado made of, but I couldn't even get through the level that fiend was in.

No, no, actually, I may have reached it one time, but was promptly destroyed by the beast's particles, long before I had an opportunity to fire upon them.

retroguiden 10-28-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umiliphus (Post 83815)
A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

As you say, it's a minor point. But certainly the first by Rare? So everyone should kow which game I'm talking about. :)

kone191 10-28-2008 06:09 PM

Based on just what I've typed in here, I'm probably not good enough for that, but pog knows I have to take whatever 2d hopfests I can get these days.[/QUOTE]

When I began playing I was just truly a noob. I died many times in every room. The game is made just to be so hard that you can't finish any room in the game with first try. It may take about 10-50 tries before you make it.
And you maybe need to finish also next room without next save point so that makes the game very difficult.
I think that you can beat the whole game with some practice. Many people can if they don't quit playing.

Shadow 10-28-2008 09:50 PM

Star Ocean 2 (PSX) with limiter off.

If you play normal (earth mode) it is possible to win this game. But with limiter off it's impossible! And there is still galaxy and universe mode...

I'm an RPG fan who wants to get it all and trains until the last quest is solved and the last secret is found. But this is the one and only RPG where I had to quit. None of my friends made it. And they believed I was the only one they know who might have a chance.

Umiliphus 10-28-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umiliphus (Post 83815)
Somethingorother

Oh, I didn't realize it was a joke game. That changes everything.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kone191 (Post 83819)
When I began playing I was just truly a noob. I died many times in every room. The game is made just to be so hard that you can't finish any room in the game with first try. It may take about 10-50 tries before you make it.
And you maybe need to finish also next room without next save point so that makes the game very difficult.
I think that you can beat the whole game with some practice. Many people can if they don't quit playing.

But why would they want to?
I didn't get the impression there was anything special to look forward to, other than cramps from reaching for R -why bother offering customizable controls and joystick-gamepad support if everybody has to press the same totally arbitrary key to continue?- and endless repetitions of the most obnoxious "game over" sound I've ever heard. For something which is going to be so constant, it should be more subtle, or totally silent.

Even that awful Super Metroid hack let me think I had a chance before referring me to some masochist's video clip. And those are pleasantly zany, but yikes, where does anybody find the time to memorize all that?

Triggs 10-30-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umiliphus (Post 83815)
That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism.

save for the annoying blob monster which took me maybe 10 tries, megaman was not very difficult in my opinion. friends had been complaining about how hard it was, but i didnt have much trouble with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kone191 (Post 83796)
I wanna be the guy :)

yea i saw this game a few weeks ago. it was purposefully made to be a volcanic eruption of cheap deaths and gameover screens. i dont have the patience to deal with, altho it did look pretty fun when you were alive.

coincidental funny excerpt from the IWBTG official faq on the creators site
Quote:

Q: What is this game made in?

A: It's a rom hack of battle toads.

Q: But battle toads wasn't anything like this!

A: It is toward the end? Have you ever got to the end of battle toads?

Q: No but...

A: Then shut your whore ass mouth and take my word for it. I also used a bit of Multimedia fusion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 83826)
Star Ocean 2 (PSX) with limiter off.

If you play normal (earth mode) it is possible to win this game. But with limiter off it's impossible! And there is still galaxy and universe mode...

I'm an RPG fan who wants to get it all and trains until the last quest is solved and the last secret is found. But this is the one and only RPG where I had to quit. None of my friends made it. And they believed I was the only one they know who might have a chance.

yes yes, i never did get around the playing that one on higher difficulty settings because my brother sold it. I did get Till the End of Time and went all through the sphere 211 beating Lenneth and Freya and all. those bosses were so impossibly hard on normal tho i dont really even want to try it on galaxy or universe or whatever. How can you top a 1 hit kill move that covers 95% percent of the field? cap them off with like 300 million hp, new moves and god speed + your parties moronic AI and i just dont see it happening without a gameshark.

Cornellius 10-30-2008 11:03 PM

I want to start a thread about games I was good with when I was young, but that I suck with those now.

kone191 10-31-2008 05:28 AM

When I started playing IWBTG I first began medium mode.
My friend told me about this game and he started playing with Hard mode.
I didn't want to be a "wuss" so I also started with hard mode.

My friend was a lot better than me in this game and he beat all the screens in the game expect bosses. So I think that many people can beat normal screens (even with hard mode) but bosses are actually different.

I had more challenge on normal game and going all paths towards bosses took long. But I managed against all bosses !!! (I've got to Guy's 4th form but couldn't beat it yet. Played against Guy now about 4 hours)

P.S Check update on my PC Redesign hack. Version 1.45 available and all way to Ecruteak City is now fully complete.

retroguiden 11-04-2008 12:29 PM

Just remembered the original Super Mario Bros 2(Japan) (or also known as The Lost Levels in the rest of the world). That game was so hard Nintendo didn't even release it outside of Japan.

The 9th Sage 11-04-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroguiden (Post 83927)
Just remembered the original Super Mario Bros 2(Japan) (or also known as The Lost Levels in the rest of the world). That game was so hard Nintendo didn't even release it outside of Japan.

Even so, it isn't as hard as this would make you think. :)

Triggs 11-10-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 83934)
Even so, it isn't as hard as this would make you think. :)

I never did play that one. ill have to go check it out some time. yes the japanese believe that we cant handle some of there games they deem too hard. there are instances where theyve released an easier version of a game in the states than they released over there. im not sure but i think its more geared toward rpgs. my brother was doin research into that subject.

The 9th Sage 11-11-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggs (Post 84089)
I never did play that one. ill have to go check it out some time. yes the japanese believe that we cant handle some of there games they deem too hard.

Oh no, I know. I've seen that cited as the reason the 'proper' SMB 2 never came out in the US. I just think we would have been able to survive somehow. lol

Haoie 11-13-2008 09:58 PM

R-type series and Contra 3 come to mind. Also Actraiser 2. All for SNES.

On the PS, Megaman X6, ODT. I'm sure there are more.

Rattlehead 11-14-2008 02:15 AM

It also seems like when a Japanese game (FFXII comes to mind) is released in the U.S., a newer and more awesome version is released in Japan shortly afterward. Damn you, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Damn you, I say!

Lillymon 11-14-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 84173)
It also seems like when a Japanese game (FFXII comes to mind) is released in the U.S., a newer and more awesome version is released in Japan shortly afterward. Damn you, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Damn you, I say!

I actually read a GameFAQs review of the FF12 International (the only one on the site), and it was rather lukewarm. It's apparently a fair bit easier than regular FF12, the new License Boards can be rather frustrating as your chosen jobs cannot be changed, the most powerful spells have be got from obscure treasure chests rather then being bought at shops, some of the new weapons have a very unfinished feel to them, and the most powerful new weapons also have be found from treasure chests on airships (which only have about a 1 in 1000 chance of containing the weapon you're looking for).

All in all, it had some improvements but some very questionable changes too.

Rattlehead 11-18-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillymon (Post 84185)
I actually read a GameFAQs review of the FF12 International (the only one on the site), and it was rather lukewarm. It's apparently a fair bit easier than regular FF12, the new License Boards can be rather frustrating as your chosen jobs cannot be changed, the most powerful spells have be got from obscure treasure chests rather then being bought at shops, some of the new weapons have a very unfinished feel to them, and the most powerful new weapons also have be found from treasure chests on airships (which only have about a 1 in 1000 chance of containing the weapon you're looking for).

All in all, it had some improvements but some very questionable changes too.

But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

Triggs 11-18-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 84256)
But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

Star Ocean Till The End Of Time had one i think. Final Fantasy X i heard had one too. i dont see how many of the nintendo games could get any harder than they already were.

Lillymon 11-18-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 84256)
But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

I know FFX did, but cool thing there was that the European version of FFX was so late that it was based on FFX International, meaning I effectively have that here. Unlike FF12 International, FFX International actually has improvements you'd want to have (raised difficulty, choice of sphere grids right from the start, dark aeons). I was disappointed the same didn't happen with FF12 until I read the above review and realized we got the best deal.

devilmaycry1979 11-26-2008 08:08 AM

River Raid-Atari It was relentless non stop river raid'en!!!
(I still have nightmares!)

Street Fighter 2010-NES The game was cool graphically(for its time) but was such a pain.

Cobra Triangle-NES..could you beat the triangle? Freaken sweet times.

Nintendo and Atari were the king of non save one life start the stage over games..I could say most of em were fairly hard.

In more modern times..I'd have to say most of the Japanese (action) titles on the 360 have some crazy feats..but nothing takes the cake like racing for 50+hours in Need for Speed: Carbon and still not getting an acheivement..and thats an EA Game!

i-come-in-3d 12-09-2008 04:20 AM

THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED AS THERE SO MANY SIDE MISSIONS YA DNT KNOW WHERE 2 GO IS OBLIVION ON XBOX 360 IT MAKES ME SICK:mad:

Reaper man 12-09-2008 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-come-in-3d (Post 84799)
THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED AS THERE SO MANY SIDE MISSIONS YA DNT KNOW WHERE 2 GO IS OBLIVION ON XBOX 360 IT MAKES ME SICK:mad:

Oh hai!

http://maddox.xmission.com/keyboard4.jpg

Consider this your official warning. posting in all caps and using "2" instead of "to" will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record. Followed by a temporary ban.

strizzuth 12-12-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 84256)
But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

If I remember correctly, almost every Final Fantasy game released since 7 (and including 7) has an international version that includes some or all of the changes made for the US version then adds even more changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggs
yes the japanese believe that we cant handle some of there games they deem too hard. there are instances where theyve released an easier version of a game in the states than they released over there. im not sure but i think its more geared toward rpgs. my brother was doin research into that subject.

That's true sometimes. For example, one of my favorite games, Act Raiser, was made significantly easier for the US version. However, other times the game is made harder for its US release. Sometimes the game just gets other changes to the point where it's hardly recognizable. It's not so much some sort of xenophobic belief on the part of the Japanese developers that Americans won't be able to handle hard games as it is the US office's belief that the difficulty needs to be changed to ensure better sales.

If you want to play a game that's hard for all the right reasons (no cheap deaths) play Alundra sometime. If the ice block puzzle doesn't make you want to fling a controller across the room, you're a better gamer than I.

Fla Flash 12-13-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 84113)
Oh no, I know. I've seen that cited as the reason the 'proper' SMB 2 never came out in the US. I just think we would have been able to survive somehow. lol

Yah. No duh on that one.

Fla Flash 12-13-2008 11:17 PM

I don't care for games that go out of their way to be exceedingly hard. I don't like those that are too easy, either, though.
I bought Wind Waker for the Gamecube when it first came out and didn't start playing it until a few weeks ago. It's got the right combination, and I'm enjoying it big time.
On a similar note, please don't make fun, but I had a hell of a time with Sonic Heroes.
That could just be my reflexes diminishing with age.

chiefmonkey 12-14-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla Flash (Post 84887)
That could just be my reflexes diminishing with age.

Well your reflexes must be dimished like a motherfucker, you old fart.

(this is mark, btw)

Fla Flash 12-14-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Light Brown (Post 84899)
Well your reflexes must be dimished like a motherfucker, you old fart.

(this is mark, btw)

Ha. I'll whip your *ss in Tiger Woods golf. Heh.
Nice ta see ya!

Reaper man 12-15-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla Flash (Post 84913)
Ha. I'll whip your *ss in Tiger Woods golf. Heh.
Nice ta see ya!

uhm, you do realize you can swear here, right?

Fla Flash 12-16-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 84919)
uhm, you do realize you can swear here, right?

Uh, sorry. Force of habit. I'll try to be more profane in the future.

Isildur 12-16-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla Flash (Post 84957)
Uh, sorry. Force of habit. I'll try to be more profane in the future.

Damn straight!

SpaceTiger 12-17-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-come-in-3d (Post 84799)
THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED AS THERE SO MANY SIDE MISSIONS YA DNT KNOW WHERE 2 GO IS OBLIVION ON XBOX 360 IT MAKES ME SICK:mad:

Oblivion can be challenging, but I don't understand what you mean by this. The active missions are listed in your quest book and they usually explain exactly what you need to do. The missions for the main quest, in particular, are usually pretty unambiguous. I got confused by a few side missions (and some are even buggy), but they're not required to finish the game.

Haoie 12-22-2008 10:01 PM

I'm going to add Brahma Force [PS1] to the list.

Very obscure, but maybe someone besides me will have tried it/own it.

Chinomon 12-28-2008 02:53 PM

Only once I could finish star wars:jedi power battles (PS1) almost 5 years ago, its because that damned Darth Maul.
In PS2 I would have to say Devil May Cry, but the "Dante Must Die!" difficulty really dissapointed me.

Shadow 12-29-2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strizzuth (Post 84865)
If you want to play a game that's hard for all the right reasons (no cheap deaths) play Alundra sometime. If the ice block puzzle doesn't make you want to fling a controller across the room, you're a better gamer than I.

Ah, I remember... Alundra was a game my friends gave me to solve their problems. I sometimes thought I could bite the controller ;)

I would give Alundra a 3+.

The 9th Sage 12-29-2008 04:43 AM

Urgh...I hate ice block puzzles. I almost threw my Wiimote at the TV like you hear of those people doing because of the ones in Twilight Princess.

Saent 02-01-2009 06:26 PM

Mario Lost Levels, hard as hell! My friend and I used to play that game all the time. I think we ended up beating it after months and months and months of practice. Though we never played or beat all the bonus leveled you could unlock.

HaxorKyo 02-02-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 85258)
Urgh...I hate ice block puzzles. I almost threw my Wiimote at the TV like you hear of those people doing because of the ones in Twilight Princess.

I freaking hated those!

actually, the hardest game ever In my opinion is Air Fortress for NES.
in the fifth or sixth level, there is so much flying at you that there is no hope of surviving. GAH! now I'm pissed off...:banghead:

shadowdorothy 02-04-2009 06:10 AM

Super Robot Wars OG- you set your own difficulty, so I always play on expert by gaining all the battle mastery's
Xenosaga 1- I still can't beat cherankov, he is a pure beast of a boss.

Reaper man 02-04-2009 07:32 AM

this game
It's the hardest game known to man.

shadowdorothy 02-04-2009 06:31 PM

why is that the hardest game? I've played worse. you should try
HTML Code:

this game
although i never played it, it seems like hell.

mushroom blue 02-23-2009 06:46 PM

hardest game I've ever played was Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight.

harder than any Konami game.
harder than any other Capcom game.

I'm not exactly a pansy when it comes to gaming; I'm currently 38 seconds behind the current Super Mario Bros. tool-assisted speed run best time. I've beaten Contra on one continue without using the konami code. I can finish Mega Man 2 with one life (and no time freeze on Quickman's stage). but Street Fighter 2010 beat my ass into the ground, and then jizzed all over my face as an after-thought.

Second place goes to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe on the 2600.

fuck battletoads. there are harder RARE games.

tuddy666 02-23-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 86417)
this game
It's the hardest game known to man.

Not "hard" per-say, just "hard to get into".

Though Etrian Odyssey (and its sequel) on the Nintendo DS, those two games are HARD. To even stand a chance of surviving the first few floors of the circa 100 floor dungeon, you have to put hours of time and effort into the game. If you have a lot of free time to waste, it's well worth it, because it's one of the best dungeon crawlers on the DS. But if you don't have a ton of time to grind, prepare to die A LOT. Seriously, your party WILL die, the death WILL be extremely painful for all involved, and you too will know the annoyance of monsters known as "F.O.Es".

In Japan, the game is so popular, it's spawned a fan-made remix album, which features a song called "F.O.E", which is about just how annoying these F.O.Es are. This is the (subtitled) music video of aforementioned song.

Edit- oh yeah, it's worth noting that this game will, much like WoW, take over your free time and ruin your life if you ever want to complete it. I've played the first game for 150 hours and counting, and am nowhere near "done".

The 9th Sage 02-24-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuddy666 (Post 86828)
Not "hard" per-say, just "hard to get into".

Though Etrian Odyssey (and its sequel) on the Nintendo DS, those two games are HARD. To even stand a chance of surviving the first few floors of the circa 100 floor dungeon, you have to put hours of time and effort into the game.

Ah, yes. This gets my vote as hardest game I've played. Well worth playing though. That game is super-hardcore....hard enemies, harder bosses, fairly confusing dungeons (well, some of the time), making maps by hand on the touch screen....good stuff. :bigthumbup:

Reaper man 02-24-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuddy666 (Post 86828)
Not "hard" per-say, just "hard to get into".

*WHOOOOSH*

tuddy666 02-24-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 86858)
*WHOOOOSH*

No, really, Dragon Force is extremely easy in comparison to other SRPGs. It's just let down by an initially confusing interface.

Well, I thought it was easy once you worked out how to play it. then again, I also think that Megaman has a good storyline, so my opinion is null and void.

Reaper man 02-24-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuddy666 (Post 86866)
No, really, Dragon Force is extremely easy in comparison to other SRPGs. It's just let down by an initially confusing interface.

:banghead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...7395547371.jpg


http://images.encyclopediadramatica....eMotivator.jpg

tuddy666 02-25-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 86876)

*slowly becomes aware of how stupid he is and shall shut up about DragonForce*

Cornellius 02-25-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuddy666 (Post 86895)
*slowly becomes aware of how stupid he is and shall shut up about DragonForce*

Don't worry, he's always over-reacting like that.

The 9th Sage 02-26-2009 01:58 AM

Eh...yeah, to be honest with you I'm not sure what he's talking about either. I'm aware of Dragonforce...but...eh...

Cornellius 02-26-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 86924)
Eh...yeah, to be honest with you I'm not sure what he's talking about either. I'm aware of Dragonforce...but...eh...

He only said thinks that, in comparison, Dragonforce is an easy game compared to most sRPG.

The 9th Sage 02-27-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornellius (Post 86937)
He only said thinks that, in comparison, Dragonforce is an easy game compared to most sRPG.

He realizes then that Dragonforce the sRPG and Dragonforce the song in Guitar Hero are two different things, right? :P This is a part of my confusion.

Reaper man 02-27-2009 05:42 PM

ok... the dragonforce meme is "the hardest metal known to man" or "harder than fucking diamonds"

I claimed that the dragonforce game was the "hardest game known to man" following the "hardest x known to man" meme.

AkaneJones 03-03-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 85258)
Urgh...I hate ice block puzzles. I almost threw my Wiimote at the TV like you hear of those people doing because of the ones in Twilight Princess.

You serious about that? I though those were easy. I finished them in a few minutes no problem. They didn't even seem to get any harder. They certainly weren't the coloured block puzzles in OoSeasons/Age, let alone any of the puzzles in Lufia 2 type hard. Zelda has had harder puzzles than those Ice Block ones.

As for Etrian Odyssey except for final post game boss it isn't impossibly hard. It's for easier if you know what your doing. A Troubadour with Healing & Relaxing, a Dark Hunter with Drain, and throw in a Medic, you don't even need to touch Immunize intill post game content. Never mind a Hexer with HP Up & Revenge paired with a Troubadour and Stamina can be surprising effective. I did everything different when I played through it and still succeeded without my Medic and Protector knowing the game braking power skills Immunize and Anti/

The 9th Sage 03-04-2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkaneJones (Post 87059)
As for Etrian Odyssey except for final post game boss it isn't impossibly hard. It's for easier if you know what your doing.

No, it's not impossible, but that game is pretty hardcore. Especially early on.

toasterhed 03-08-2009 09:40 PM

The Super Mario Bros. Hell rom hack. That was pretty nasty. Myst... just because I don't get games like that. Getting 100% of everything in Star Ocean: Until the End of Time (maybe more time consuming than hard... some of it was pretty challenging though)

jdev 03-29-2009 01:48 AM

I don't mind hard games, although I don't like sadistically punishing games like the Wizardry series. Usually my problems with games are more along the lines of bad cameras, first person dungeon crawlers with no auto-map (a pox on Wizardry), or games that are needlessly complicated that turn me into an insane Red Mage (Phantom Brave, some other NIS titles), and adventure games, because you always have to use some ridiculous item at a ridiculous situation. Actually, games like Contra, Gradius, Ninja Gaiden I invested weeks and months into, even though I could only beat a few levels.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoie (Post 85061)
I'm going to add Brahma Force [PS1] to the list.

Very obscure, but maybe someone besides me will have tried it/own it.

I played it. I think I rented it one time. I don't remember it being significantly harder than other FP Mech games, though. Actually, I seem to remember Armored Core as being tougher, but maybe I'm wrong.

Morcar 05-25-2009 08:04 AM

Contra on the DS as you needed to have a second pair of eyes for the other screen. While we are on about Contra the Megadrive version was way too hard i thought.

SWIV was a hard game on the Amiga too unless you put the cheat in.

The 9th Sage 05-25-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkaneJones (Post 87059)
They certainly weren't the coloured block puzzles in OoSeasons/Age, let alone any of the puzzles in Lufia 2 type hard. Zelda has had harder puzzles than those Ice Block ones.

I missed this before, but actually, you're right. That's still about the only spot in that game where I got stuck for a significant amount of time though (well, maybe a spot or two in the Temple of Time as well).

Shadow 05-25-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 89276)
I missed this before, but actually, you're right. That's still about the only spot in that game where I got stuck for a significant amount of time though (well, maybe a spot or two in the Temple of Time as well).

Yes, the Temple of Time was hard. But there is one game I only won after several years: Maniac Mansion! Without FAQ and Workthrough it was impossible for me. I started my game in 1996 and finished it late 2004.
In general I always beat a game as soon as I get my hands on it. Hehe. But it is really time consuming. When I realized that I already have finished over 300 titles on all kinds of systems I had a break of 2-3 years. Then I switched to some more strategic series where I could spend a few hours and continue another day or week.
The latest one was "Hearts of Iron 2 - Doomsday Armageddon". It was inspiring for me to look for similiar older games. I have found Genghis Khan and though it is really old it's competitive and demanding. I never imagined so much micromanagement in an old school game is possible. Okay there are PC games like "Patrizier" or "Hanse". I should also mention "Romance of the three kingdoms". But the last one was too hard for me, because I don't understand Japanese.

The game I played most was Final Fantasy 3 - US (SNES). Must have been around 23-28 times. I find the character of Gau unfair. He has to learn from enemys and no attack is really worth the effort. Same thing for Strago. It's impossible to learn all attacks. Ok, not impossible but it takes just too long.

The 9th Sage 05-26-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 89281)
I find the character of Gau unfair. He has to learn from enemys and no attack is really worth the effort. Same thing for Strago. It's impossible to learn all attacks. Ok, not impossible but it takes just too long.

Step Mine. That's all I'll say.

Shadow 05-26-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 89315)
Step Mine. That's all I'll say.

Oh no. XD
Now I have to play it again.... *ggg*

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattlestarGalactica
So say we all!


shadowdorothy 06-05-2009 06:03 AM

WOW. I still can't beat Etrain Oddesy. I haven't played much, but i got wooped so bad I almost cried after confronting a mini boss on level 2 at level 12... yeah it was that bad.

most games these days are way too easy. I beat the first 10 levels of crisis core and 20 side quests in under 12 hours. and that was with continues game play.

Wolvie 07-03-2009 04:51 AM

Holy Diver on the nentindo entertainment system, is hands down the hardest game I have ever played. it puts contra to shame in my opinion. but then again, no console game I know of is harder then I wanna be the guy.

Burzy 07-20-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umiliphus (Post 83815)
A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism. I would have loved to use the "multiple hits with elec beam against [whatever the yellow blob monster is called]" technique I used to see so much ado made of, but I couldn't even get through the level that fiend was in.

No, no, actually, I may have reached it one time, but was promptly destroyed by the beast's particles, long before I had an opportunity to fire upon them.

You can use that technique on Dr Wiley at the end also >:}

oh, and someone i play an online game with told me to post this, I have never played it myself, but I want to ( and I thought megaman, and bucky o hare were seizure games O.o) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmevFkY_dMc

by the way, I'm not sure if I'm not supposed to post links or anything here, kinda new, if so sorry about that

InVerse 07-28-2009 12:20 AM

Since the topic is "hardest game you've ever played" and not "hardest game ever made", I'll forgive everyone for failing to mention Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde for NES. In fact, I'll commend everyone for never having played the game and strongly suggest that you never even consider doing so.

Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde is the hardest game ever made. I played through it several years ago in the process of writing an article about the game. Using the Game Genie code that made me invincible, it still took several hours to play through the game. In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.

I'm actually in the process now of putting together a documentary about the game. As far as I've been able to determine, it was designed by a Saudi Arabian company. My hope is to bring this company up on charges of terrorism. Failing this, I would at least like to punch one of the programmers in the face.

Even worse, the game has really nice graphics for an NES game. If you've played Just Breed, I would compare the two graphically. As far as play control, however, there's nothing in Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde that couldn't have been done on the Atari 2600, except I've never played a 2600 game with that shitty of play control. (And, on a random note, I bought two copies of E.T. for the 2600 yesterday for $2/each. I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the extra copy. Shooting seems a bit passe, I was contemplating gluing it to a dildo and selling it on eBay.)

But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.

As for Street Fighter 2010... I don't think that game was so much hard as it was crappy. I don't think I ever made it past the 3rd fight, but mostly because the play control was utter shit. Also, did anybody actually get this game NOT thinking it was like Street Fighter 2?

The 9th Sage 07-28-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.
Argh...I forgot about that game. I wonder why. lol This just made me think of Athena on the NES. That game is stupidly hard at times (like the boss of the first level where it's basically impossible to beat him unless you have a decent ranged weapon), though as terrible as it is I still have some kind of sick love of that game (Athena that is...not Dr Jekyll. No way.).

Isildur 07-28-2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVerse (Post 91778)
In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.

Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? :erm: What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?

InVerse 07-28-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isildur (Post 91792)
Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? :erm: What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?

When an enemy touches you, you're pushed back slightly. In later levels, there are a lot of enemies. And Donkey Kong style barrels. And you have a weapon, but using it causes YOU to take damage but doesn't harm the enemies at all. And the American version of the game removed the only way to refill your "life" because it was a prostitute.

And the way the game works, you start as Jeckyll and instead of a life meter, you have a sanity meter. When it reaches 0, you transform into Hyde, change worlds and go into a more traditional "shoot the enemies with your magical power ball" type of level. Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.

The 9th Sage 07-28-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVerse (Post 91793)
Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.

It's been a long time since I played it, and it wasn't extensively at that, but what? So you're penalized for progressing in the game, more or less? I realize that the idea is probably that "oh no! Hyde's evil or something!" but really?

Burzy 07-28-2009 05:05 PM

Anyone ever played "Nyet"? I first played it in the 90's on my old IBM P/S 1. Seemed to be a rendition of Tetris ( I don't care if its a clone or original, w.e.) . Level 9, as SOON as you hit enter to start level, the screen fills with Tetrads and you fail...

And I always found Metal Gear for NES was an amazing fun challenge (if you play properly)

Ans since this is Zophar's I'm hoping ROM hacks count? If so, I'd like to elect Zelda: Parallel Worlds, and Super Metroid: Redesign.

Easily two of the most intensely difficult games I've ever played.

ToastyCheesy 07-29-2009 08:01 AM

On the subject of rom hack's, I still remember playing through Anikiti's Luigi hack for SMW. I mean, c'mon, that was years ago, and I remember the author's name? That game definately busted a few of my nerves, as well as the blister that developed on my fingers, but it was well made, well designed.

Burzy 07-29-2009 05:38 PM

Earthworm Jim is pretty tough, and definately the first TMNT game by Ultra. Hmm otherwise I'd have to say Bucky O'Hare for NES is a very nice challenge .

Of course with the exception of hacks, savestates negate the challenge. I remember having to rent battletoads 5 times same as bucky, before i finished it hehe.

Shadow Bone 08-09-2009 01:10 AM

Gimmick is an NES platforming game and it is the toughest I have played.

Zerox123 08-20-2009 12:53 PM

The hardest game i ever player was Donkey Kong 64 for Nintendo 64 :D
1.The arcade game
2.The metal fish

toasterhed 08-28-2009 05:14 AM

SNES: Another World

Really what were the programmers thinking? A game where you die if you take one wrong step. I have never seen anyone complete it.

PS the poll doesn't have an "all of the above" so I didn't vote. = P

Burzy 09-01-2009 06:29 PM

Another World: as in "Out of This World"?

I've completed it , though, i used a tonne of state saves until i figured out what you need to do in each part.

(i.e. the game where yer just some kid and you start the game underwater, needing to swim upward , then you're pretty much running 90% of the game)

Reminds me a lot of "Flashback" and "Oddworld" series.

The 9th Sage 09-02-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burzy (Post 92830)
Another World: as in "Out of This World"?.

Yep...IIRC it's called "Another World" in Europe (or is that everywhere but the US?).

Burzy 09-03-2009 06:17 PM

Yeah, in US/Canada, it was called Out of This World, i think Interplay made it?

The 9th Sage 09-03-2009 10:26 PM

I'm not sure...I know they at least published the SNES version. Maybe they're the ones who handled that port of it.

jdev 09-16-2009 04:06 AM

So, I just tried IWBTG... It's embarrassingly hard. Plus, there's the tendency to just try going faster when you die, which just makes you die more often/faster.

White_Comet 11-01-2009 01:35 AM

For me, Gradius III and UN Squadron were THE games to beat without cheating. Back in the early 90s, my brother and I would compete on the Forest Fortress Stage in UN Squadron using only the F20 Tiger Shark and no special weapons. And I only beat Gradius III once and had to use the Game Genie. Once I figure out how UN Squadron is put together, it's getting a modern refreshing with new levels and planes!

nensondubois 11-01-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 92883)
I'm not sure...I know they at least published the SNES version. Maybe they're the ones who handled that port of it.

In Europe it's called Another World and both were made/ported by Interplay. They did a shit job porting it since you can't dump SPCs from it. The game is crazy in difficulty and it's just creepy.

The Hardest game I've played is Flashback - The Quest for Identity. I got up to Level 2 and I just gave up because of poor level design. I've played thousands of games and out of them, this is the hardest hands down. The controls are just plain horrible and confusing. I had to make a level modifier just to get past the second level.

InVerse 11-01-2009 04:32 PM

Something tells me that there's not a single person on this board who would have any hope of beating Colossal Cave Adventure.

The 9th Sage 11-01-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nensondubois (Post 95607)
They did a shit job porting it since you can't dump SPCs from it.

Huh? How's it make the port terrible because you can't dump SPC files in an emulator while running the game?

Reaper man 11-01-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nensondubois (Post 95607)
They did a shit job porting it since you can't dump SPCs from it.

yes, I could see the development team discussing it now:

"Hey so should we load all of the track data into SPC RAM?"
"Naw let's use something proprietary so that the one person that cares won't be able to dump it to SPC. You know that one format that won't been invented yet for another 10 or so years that we possibly couldn't know about in the first place"

:rolleyes:

InVerse 11-01-2009 05:31 PM

But see, if a game doesn't have it's soundtrack on snesmusic.org, it's because the game sucks. Since you can't dump the SPCs from Another World, the soundtrack obviously doesn't appear on snesmusic.org, thus the game must suck.

nensondubois 11-01-2009 10:44 PM

Actually, to be honest; many people want the soundtrack in SPC format. The SPC format was basically invented with the chip. Just people learning to dump the chip's ram and tagging was what made it what it is today. It has it's ups and downs compared to the xsf formats.

InVerse 11-01-2009 10:55 PM

You'd have to be seriously stretching the definition of the word "many" for that statement to be true. I'm pretty sure if you add up the total number of people who have listened to a single SPC file at any point in history, you're probably not even coming close to an amount that constitutes "many".

I think many people find the SPC format (and any other console based format) to be a complete pain in the ass and much prefer their music in MP3 or OGG format.

The 9th Sage 11-02-2009 04:28 AM

It might be neat to have, but you can't say the port of it is terrible because you can't dump SPCs from it (that's the point). I mean, that's like me saying my computer sucks because it won't make me breakfast in the morning. It's not exactly a feature that the SNES is supposed to have. I don't think Nintendo told the devs "Ok you guys...make sure that years from now when emulators catch up to what we're doing that people can cleanly dump the RAM of the sound chip so they can play the music on their computers." ;)

Anyway, someone might be able to rip it as an SNSF (the PSF style format that's for SNES games). There are a few problem games/tracks ripped, such as that Lord of the Rings game (that evidently uses it's own sound subsystem and only uses the SPC for output), as well as the intro track to Tales of Phantasia.

nensondubois 11-02-2009 10:29 PM

They already are ripping SNSFs. Wario's Woods was the first. I guess we need to wait.

Another gaming experience:

A Boy and His Blob has lead me to believe that this is the second hardest game of all time. when you first start out, you have absolutely no idea on what to do but after a half an hour you figure out that you need to feed the blob jelleybeans to turn him into things. About a full hour it will take you to realize that you need to go down into the subway and turn him into a hole to make you fall and it will take you a little while longer to figure out that have to make another hole in the ground. You may take the rocket over the house to later waste your time to find that you went the wrong way! (That's just the beginning! Imagine ho difficult the rest of the game is!:rolleyes:)

The 9th Sage 11-03-2009 01:26 AM

Yeah, that game is just unfriendly. :P


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.