Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Game Controllers (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11884)

Randy S 08-01-2009 08:11 PM

Game Controllers
 
We have a PS2 Emulator and a Virtual NES loaded on a PC. Which controller do I hook up for the Virtual NES and which card do I buy to install in a PCI Slot? How do I know which game card controller to use / buy that works with both the PS2 Emulator and Virtual NES games? Which game controllers are compatible and will work for the games. Currently we have lots of Virtual NES games loaded but cant get a game controller connected until we know which card to install in a PCI slot.Do I need to buy special PS2 games for installing on a PC or will a CDROM drive let me install the PS2 games we already have? Any help would be appreciated!!! Email me [email]randyswon@yahoo.com[/email]

Reaper man 08-01-2009 08:26 PM

For some reason... your rather incoherent post made my brain hurt. :retard:

I'll try to tackle each issue in the order in which I read. hm, ok, you want to use a controller. I don't know how old your PC is (I'm going to assume modern, since you are attempting to run a PS2 emulator on it). From what I'm trying to understand from your post, you are attempting to plug a good ol fashioned PS2/NES controller to your PC, and you think that there's a PCI solution for that. Well to put it simply, there isn't. If you are really hell bent on using the original controller, you'll need a usb adapter for the PS2 controller (example. I have two, they work pretty nice) and for the NES, look here.

ok, now for PS2 emulation and loading games on there. Before I help you with that, I'd like to know your PC specs so that I can tell you if it's even feasible to do on your machine. Just so you know I run a quad core 2 at 3GHz and I own a GTX 280 and even I wasn't able to get FFX up to snuff (then again, FFX, like most squeenix games, is a bitch to emulate).

InVerse 08-01-2009 08:27 PM

I'm not understanding where the PCI slot comes into play here. Do they actually still make controllers that require a specific controller port? Every controller I've bought in the past 7 years has had a USB connector.

Any USB controller should work for any relatively modern game/emulator (and quite a few older games.) Personally, I'm using an X-Box 360 controller and it works perfectly fine on everything from NES emulators up to PSX emulators. (I haven't attempted to emulate any consoles more modern than that.)

Randy S 08-02-2009 07:35 AM

Thanks Reaperman for the link. I'll buy a USB Adapter soon. The computer that my grandson is using is about a 850 MHZ PC with 256 mb ram. He has xp home I think (don't remember checking) with service pack 3. It is nothing fancy and isn't even a decent gaming computer. A friend of his loaded Virtual NES with lots of what look like DOS games (win32 game programs) and the PS2 Emulator.

My two home computers are 1.8 GHZ (512 mb ram) and 1.7 ghz (256 mb ram) both with XP pro. One has service pack 2 and the other doesn't. I haven't downloaded either the Virtual NES or the PS2 Emulator. I don't know if I want to yet.

Thanks for your superb assistance!!!

Thank you Inverse for your reply!!!

Isildur 08-02-2009 07:53 AM

Eep, please do yourself a favor and patch those computers to SP3! Vulnerabilities can let in some nasty stuff...

Reaper man 08-02-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91924)
My two home computers are 1.8 GHZ (512 mb ram) and 1.7 ghz (256 mb ram) both with XP pro. One has service pack 2 and the other doesn't. I haven't downloaded either the Virtual NES or the PS2 Emulator. I don't know if I want to yet.

from the sound of it, it sounds like your computers are a few years old, and probably don't have the power necessary to run PS2 games at a playable speed. I wouldn't really bother.

Randy S 08-02-2009 09:18 PM

Reaper man, don't be so discouraging because your first advice was so right on. I'll give the usb adapter a whirl soon and (even though the games may lag at times), I'm certain they'll be enjoyable. Our computers are old but still good enough. If we could afford to buy new advanced gaming computers every couple of years we would. We do with what we have. Thanks again and remain the best at everything you do.

Isildur, you are almost funny hilarious. The only vulnerabilities I'm concerned about are the lack of humor given without cupcakes and SP3 should mean Such Privilege for three instead of Service Pack 3. Everyone one loves constant maintenance in the form of Automatic updates from Microsoft. Tee Hee, Cee Me, I'm so wee wee on the totem pole of computer FAQS.

Reaper man 08-02-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91955)
Reaper man, don't be so discouraging because your first advice was so right on. I'll give the usb adapter a whirl soon and (even though the games may lag at times), I'm certain they'll be enjoyable. Our computers are old but still good enough. If we could afford to buy new advanced gaming computers every couple of years we would. We do with what we have. Thanks again and remain the best at everything you do.

I don't exactly know how old your computers are, but I get this feeling that they are old enough to the point where PCSX2 would refuse to run. If you could tell me the CPUs those machines are running (video card info would be great too), I could tell you definitively if it'll run or not.

Isildur 08-02-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91955)
Isildur, you are almost funny hilarious. The only vulnerabilities I'm concerned about are the lack of humor given without cupcakes and SP3 should mean Such Privilege for three instead of Service Pack 3. Everyone one loves constant maintenance in the form of Automatic updates from Microsoft. Tee Hee, Cee Me, I'm so wee wee on the totem pole of computer FAQS.

Sorry, I was just giving what I thought was prudent advice; I had no idea that this was a topic that could spring your sprockets and scatter your screws, let alone grind your gears...
o_O

InVerse 08-03-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S (Post 91955)
Isildur, you are almost funny hilarious. The only vulnerabilities I'm concerned about are the lack of humor given without cupcakes and SP3 should mean Such Privilege for three instead of Service Pack 3. Everyone one loves constant maintenance in the form of Automatic updates from Microsoft. Tee Hee, Cee Me, I'm so wee wee on the totem pole of computer FAQS.

I'll happily provide some cupcakes if you'll join my botnet.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.