Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Video Game Music Emulation on MP3 Players? (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12449)

Giever 09-25-2009 08:28 PM

Video Game Music Emulation on MP3 Players?

Does anyone know if there are any mp3 players out there that let you, or can be broken into in such a way that, play emulated video game music rather than having to convert all of your music to mp3 or some other format? Doing that both takes time and takes up a lot more space than if I were to be able to play them all as SPCs or PSFs, or whatever the case may be.

I'm thinking this probably isn't likely, since I've been looking online awhile for an answer, and maybe this isn't exactly the right place to ask about it, but I figured it was worth a shot. Thanks in advance!

Reaper man 09-26-2009 12:00 AM

Rockbox should do it if you have the right player. Also homebrew enabled handhelds (PSP and DS). have this capability as well.

The 9th Sage 09-26-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 93865)
Rockbox should do it if you have the right player. Also homebrew enabled handhelds (PSP and DS). have this capability as well.

For the DS, this is specifically with MoonShell or MoonShell 2 (which I'd suggest over the first version...better UI, and just more/better features).

Giever 09-26-2009 11:22 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. =D

I looked into the Rockbox thing, I couldn't find specific talk about it being able to play those kinds of files, is it the kind of thing that gives you a platform to install plugins on, or if I just use that firmware, would I be able to play SPCs and such with the player?

I haven't gotten any player yet because I was going to do more research on the possibilities first.

shawn 09-26-2009 02:45 PM

Well I typed in the words rockbox spc at google and got this page as the second result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox#Plug-ins

If you click on the area 3.1 in the index which is the codecs a subsection of the features section you will see all available formats.

Also it says you have to flash the firmware and it does use plugins. Here's a quote from the beginning of the page.

Instead, it offered a greatly improved user interface and added functionality not present in the factory firmware. Rockbox is capable of being permanently flashed into flash memory on the Archos devices, making it a literal firmware replacement.

This page is really informative and well written so you should be able to have it answer most of your most general questions.

Giever 09-26-2009 10:48 PM

Durr, I feel dumb. All I did was look around the site. I really need to search better, I usually do. D= Thanks, though!

puduhead 09-27-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giever (Post 93923)
Durr, I feel dumb. All I did was look around the site. I really need to search better, I usually do. D= Thanks, though!

Hey that's a great question anyway. I had often thought that i wished to use MP3 players to play source formats such as SPC or MOD and i didn't know about RockBox. Good stuff. Now if only my Creative Labs ZEN mp3 player was compatible. :P

shawn 09-28-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giever (Post 93923)

Anytime. :)

shawn 09-28-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puduhead (Post 93940)
Hey that's a great question anyway. I had often thought that i wished to use MP3 players to play source formats such as SPC or MOD and i didn't know about RockBox. Good stuff. Now if only my Creative Labs ZEN mp3 player was compatible. :P

Never know, maybe the next version. Maybe you could send the developer and email. Your player could actually be compatible since some electronics like grocery items are the thing just packaged differently as in different case same innards. Maybe they'll add it to the list of upgrades for a future release. They may not make it compatible unless you ask and it only takes a second.