Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Game Music (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SNES Super Metroid music corrupted (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33220)

onpurpose 01-13-2018 08:19 AM

SNES Super Metroid music corrupted

Hello guys, I wanted to notify that the soundtrack of Super Metroid is all corrupted. There are digital artifacts resulting of a bad encoding or corrupted file. It's actually not possible to enjoy...

Thank you

Edman 01-13-2018 08:21 AM

Are you using an Apple computer and playing with apple's builtin browser plugin or iTunes (on either Apple or Windows)?

Reaper man 01-13-2018 07:24 PM

Personally I feel Apple users should just suffer.

onpurpose 01-14-2018 11:06 AM

I guys, yes indeed I downloaded from a Mac, but I just copied the mp3 i downloaded from the site on my usb key, and played on my car system. I hear the artifacts as well, the same artefacts as if it was a badly encoded mp3 from a corrupted cd.

I wonder why downloading from a mac or any other would affect the music message in the mp3 file itself?

If it's a question of codec, why not using lame mp3 which is perfectly understood by all supports ?

As I am quite new on this forum, maybe I don't know something.... Thank you for your help :-)

Montie2k 01-14-2018 04:38 PM

Another post from Edman at around the same time:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 123739)
Because SNES files originally come in 32KHz, and Apple's built in player (as well as iTunes) is incapable of correctly decoding 32KHz MP3 files.

I have thought about re-encoding the whole SNES section with an audio sample rate of 44.1KHz so that apple users can also correctly enjoy it, but oh boy are we talking about a huge hassle or WHAT. The whole thing is 118GB, and thats in 32K, re-encoded in 44.1K it would be even bigger. So its quite a fair bit of files to upload.

Reaper man 01-14-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onpurpose (Post 123751)
I guys, yes indeed I downloaded from a Mac, but I just copied the mp3 i downloaded from the site on my usb key, and played on my car system. I hear the artifacts as well, the same artefacts as if it was a badly encoded mp3 from a corrupted cd.

I wonder why downloading from a mac or any other would affect the music message in the mp3 file itself?

If it's a question of codec, why not using lame mp3 which is perfectly understood by all supports ?

As I am quite new on this forum, maybe I don't know something.... Thank you for your help :-)

If the sound quality isn't to your liking, why not convert the sound from the original SPC to whatever format/quality you want like a real man?

Oh wait, you're an apple user, nevermind.

Edman 01-14-2018 05:33 PM

Try installing VLC Media Player for Mac and check if the file plays correctly with it.

As far as I your car's stereo goes, I honestly have no idea but car stereos are notoriously fickle, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't play 32K files either.

All MP3 files are encoded using lame, however, its the sample rate itself that seems to be a problem, because if I re-convert the file using a different sample rate, it works.

onpurpose 01-14-2018 08:26 PM

Hello Reaper, well maybe I am a hell of a Mac user, but at least I am not the one who is patronizing over there, I do think it's not very welcoming.

So, I wasn't aware of the fact it is encoded in 32k, let's admit the onboarding is not optimal, a disclaimer next to the download button could help (I indeed found the report problem button and arrived here). How could I be aware of this if, like any other newbie, I arrived on there using Google search results, and any normal user would admit that playing a mp3 wouldn't be a problem on any platform.

Thanks for the info, Edman.
Therefore, I will try to convert this with a sound tool and see if I can achieve some positive results. Obviously as a damn mac user, opening a SPC is not an option.

Edman 01-15-2018 08:08 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe converting 32K MP3 files to 44.1K will not remove the artifacts.

You have to convert the source SPC files while passing them through a resampler.

Anyway, I am going to go ahead and replace the SPC section with 44.1K MP3 files, but its probably going to take a while to prepare all the files.

Edman 01-19-2018 05:29 PM

I have updated the SNES music section

https://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33236