XP-- USB Storage Devices not working!!!

Danoz

I can't get XP to recognize any USB storage devices. I've tried system restore etc... and all other USB devices that are not storage based are still working. It feels like I've tried everything...

can anybody help?
<P ID="signature">
signature1.png

http://www.oz3d.com</P>

Do you have the lastest driver versions of these devices ?

Do you always go to the taskbar and click, "disconnect USB device" when you unplug USB things ?
<P ID="signature"></P>

Try this:

Start > Programs > Adminstrative Tools > Computer Management

Once here, go down to "Disk Management". Do you see any other drives besides your hard drives? (They won't have a letter).

If so, right click and choose "Change Drive Letters And Paths", and give it a letter. See if this is one of your USB drives.

I have no clue what causes this, but I've been running into it myself lately. I'm sure there's a more elegant fix, but this does allow you to use them.

Good luck.
<P ID="signature"></P>

> I can't get XP to recognize any USB storage devices. I've
> tried system restore etc... and all other USB devices that
> are not storage based are still working. It feels like I've
> tried everything...

Since it's only storage devices, this is probably not the problem, but... are you able to try another USB slot? There could be some issue with the slot you're using, or there could be something that XP just hates about that slot. Also, there is a chance that for some reason the slot you're working with isn't providing POWER to the devices-- I've had that trouble a few times before, and it caused the drives not to function (despite my opinion that the only purpose for powering the drives is really the LED on them). Not all devices require a "powered" slot (honestly, I don't know if there's a technical term for this), but a some do, and thus far I've only really noticed that with-- go figure-- storage devices.

Come to think of it, do you have anything with a light that turns on when you plug it into a USB slot? I personally have an old iPod Shuffle I got as a gift that would make this easy to test... basically, its LED pops on when it notices it's plugged into a valid slot, and it starts blinking orange to indicate that it's charging if it can receive power and is recognized by the OS (I believe). If it doesn't respond, probably you can't get power from it and your drives are being weird due to that.
<P ID="signature">--
Yes, I'm female, gaming is my hobby, and I'm going into programming. Not taken, either, but seeing as how the law about girls on the internet is "Single, attractive, sane: choose two"... well...</P>

> Since it's only storage devices, this is probably not the
> problem, but... are you able to try another USB slot?

Hm, come to think of it, are you trying to use a hub? It's possible that's going if you are. I also have weird problems with my USB hub if I PLUG THE AC ADAPTER IN. It makes NO sense, it's the freaking adapter that came with it. Anyway, that's another thing you could try in that case I suppose.
<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/zeldadd
w7455115.png

My blog...the perfect cure for curry withdrawl!!</a></P>

Back
Top Bottom