Windows emulators played on a Mac through a virtual machine

coolie

Any Mac-heads here? I just bought one of the spankin' new iMacs, and I want to know if it's possible to run an emulator written for Windows (like Kega Fusion) in a virtual machine (like VMWare). I know I can boot camp my way to perfect compatibility, but I'd rather not have to leave OS X for my emulation needs.

Anyone give this a shot, and if so, was it successful?
<P ID="signature"><a target="_blank" href=http://www.lp.org>
adolcoolie.txt
</a></P>

i've never really thought of trying that... richard bannister made or ported a lot of emulators to work under osx, but i bet they aren't universal yet.
i would assume that parallels would run an emulator just fine... the only slowdown i know of with virtualization under macs so far are with virtual hard drives.

how do you like the new mac keyboards btw? i'm thinking of picking one up :)
<P ID="signature">Chris

/personal/mfc/newsig.png</P>

Kega Fusion worked for me under CrossOver last time I tried it. I haven't given it a shot in VMWare yet, but I probably won't bother since CrossOver is better.
<P ID="signature"><font size="-2">09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0</font></P>

> Any Mac-heads here? I just bought one of the spankin' new
> iMacs, and I want to know if it's possible to run an
> emulator written for Windows (like Kega Fusion) in a virtual
> machine (like VMWare).

I'm sure it's possible, and if you're still trying to find out by the time my mother picks herself up a MacBook Pro, I can actually test this out for you. Couldn't you at least (if you have Windows itself) run it in Parallels under OSX, rather than Boot Camp? While we WILL have a Mac in the house, I don't think my mom OR I (even though I'm not going to be using it much personally) have any plans at all to use Boot Camp... unless we find out that there are some compatibility issues, or something... since to the best of my knowledge, Parallels sounds a lot better.
<P ID="signature">--
Yes, I'm female, gaming is my hobby, and I'm going into programming. Not taken, either, but seeing as how the law about girls on the internet is "Single, attractive, sane: choose two"... well...</P>

The keyboard is wonderful...if you like laptop keyboards.

I LOVE laptop keyboards, so I'm in heaven. The keys feel really good to me, making the transition from my favorite IBM keyboard a little easier. Good feedback, and a nice, clean sound.

As far as the new iMac itself. It's gorgeous. I heard so much shit about glossy screens being bad (mostly from message board idiots), but I haven't experienced any glare. In fact, the screen is the best I've ever owned. The whole unit is great, from the aluminum chassis to the glass screen. I like it much better than the white iMacs of yesteryear, and way the fuck better than the PC it just replaced. In fact, I have VMware Fusion installing XP right now, so I'll never even miss it.
<P ID="signature"><a target="_blank" href=http://www.lp.org>
adolcoolie.txt
</a></P>

Back
Top Bottom