Wii homebrew jeopardized (again)

SparroHawc

Various sources confirm that the most recent update to the Wii's firmware blocks installing of 'fakesigned' channels on the Wii. This prevents the installation of various utilities required to run homebrew, such as the Homebrew Channel. The current standing suggestion, if you run homebrew on the Wii such as the various emulators, is to avoid updating the Wii until more information is available or a new workaround is found for the new firmware.

If you want to use the Shop Channel without having to update your Wii, try these. There is one for the Shop Channel, and one for the IOS51 that the update will install. That way, you can install the updated Shop Channel, as well as the new IOS without getting the other IOS versions patched (which was the problem, since that was blocking new HB Channel installs, etc).

*edit*
Oh, yeah, and they are legal...they download the IOS and Shop Channel straight from Nintendo's servers.

Good thing Wiiware games suck (besides Dr Mario) and that VC games are years behind emulation on PC. I have 2 imports for my Wii and I'll be damned if I'll risk the compatibility for the Wii Shopping Chanel >_>

I'm sure it'll be worked around by tomorrow or so. In the meantime, yeah, not going to bend over backwards for the privilege of sending Nintendo money.

It is confirmed now that the update does NOT prevent the Twilight Hack, nor does it remove the Homebrew Channel if it has already been installed. And as hcs was quick to post (thanks, hcs) the Homebrew Channel team has already found a way around it.

Back
Top Bottom