When is our freedom enough?

I think the biggest danger looming is the complacency people have in defending their freedoms and how much we all take them for granted. Unfortunately, freedom is one of those things that you really don't value until it's gone. Over the last few decades, our freedoms have been slowly eroded away. It hasn't happened to any drastic degree yet, but when you combine the complacency with the slippery slope we're on the result is inevitable.

I think what I find the most disturbing trend in our country is the lack of knowledge on frankly anything our general public has. Think about the last couple of presidential elections, how many people do you know could actually give hard, concrete reasons why they were voting for the candidate they picked? I can say that a portion of the people I know did have good reasons for voting the way they did, there were also a lot that based their vote on complete disinformation or outright stupidity such as "well, my family votes X party, so I do too" and "I just don't think X looks trustworthy."

The presidential elections are bad enough, but drill it down even closer to home. How many people do you know who actually know who runs your town, county or even state? These officials have a big impact on our day-to-day lives yet many people are completely oblivious to who they are or how they are actually representing us.

When you have that lack of accountability, anything can go under the chopping block including our freedoms.

Problems: A secret ballot with no receipt, we need to see that the votes are reported accurately.
Nomination Reform: No fees, or signatures and non of this 17th Amendment crap; state congress send out the senators, and damn it candidates for office be a citizen at the right age; this is enough. No fees, signatures, or auditors. Let parties be required to report a membership and have auditors, not individuals.

How is there freedom when there is a test to be a Candidate, to force to-be candidates to bother people on the street for signatures, to marginalize those to busy making a living to sign or get signatures and not have the extra cash to pay fees or to scrape their balls to get it.
In Canada it doesn't even limit age, just gives a citizen the right to be qualified (by voters) for office. I agree, a minimum age is reasonable, but did those stupid limeys who wrote it for trudeau not think?

The US Constitution only limits an age and consecutive residence of a citizen and yet they ad more trials and then limit debate access to two people, maybe three. Not even most choices.

Gun thieving, cash looting and profiteering from the central government. Intellectual property rights of individuals being abused by corporations and the state.

Huge government governing worse at the risk of sounding like Thomas Paine, a brilliant limey.

Effective Immediately:

All employees will be required to take bathroom breaks in order with the first letter of their last name. Letters A thru D will be allowed to take bathroom breaks between 9am and 9:30AM. A full schedule will be posted on the restroom doors. Violation by using the restroom outside of your assigned restroom priviledges will result in termination and most likely incarceration. Violators will be proscecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

In other news: The light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to further budget constraints.

Signed: Management

I think what I find the most disturbing trend in our country is the lack of knowledge on frankly anything our general public has. Think about the last couple of presidential elections, how many people do you know could actually give hard, concrete reasons why they were voting for the candidate they picked? I can say that a portion of the people I know did have good reasons for voting the way they did, there were also a lot that based their vote on complete disinformation or outright stupidity such as "well, my family votes X party, so I do too" and "I just don't think X looks trustworthy."

The presidential elections are bad enough, but drill it down even closer to home. How many people do you know who actually know who runs your town, county or even state? These officials have a big impact on our day-to-day lives yet many people are completely oblivious to who they are or how they are actually representing us.

When you have that lack of accountability, anything can go under the chopping block including our freedoms.

Good point Hunter Thompson called local government more powerful than any. He may have had a point, look at Chicago and the Daley Crime Family.

When is our freedom enough ?

When you can poop wherever you want.

As a neorhino.ca for Vancouver-Centre, I have to say, we need to be free of the environment and laws governing our gravity. As a Quebecoi you must relate to this.

But seriously, I agree no need for Mad Max and Damnation Alley; but reasonable liberty lets the mind sore, as Voltaire put it.
The founding fathers of the US had it down nicely, it didn't go enforced; the real problem, if it's not enforced, it won't matter.

SZabadság!,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom