What is great about message boards...

puduhead

Remember when the internet was new and NOT everyone was on it? Those were great times.

In the current climate of meta-feeds and anon boards, a good old fashioned traditional message board takes you back to those simpler times when it was a limited engagement. As it is trending, its reminding me even more of BBS's prior to the internet.

Want a discussion? Wait a few days and maybe you'll get a reply! :) Yessiree, the excitement of anticipation... you just never know what's going to happen (or not happen) next on the message boards!

Having first gotten online back in 1988, I remember those days well. However, you're confusing messageboards with websites that nobody gives a shit about anymore. I know of several messageboards where I can post and get a dozen replies within five minutes.

You are right of course, individual cases may very. My satire wasn't directed solely at zmd however. I think it is fair to say that Facebook, Twitter, anon-style boards, other meta-feed sites and the like have rendered participation in smaller traditional boards as less relevant by the masses.

But yeah, the good ol' days, huh? You beat me by a couple years. I don't remember exactly when but I was surfing local bulletin boards by the beginning of the 90's and shortly thereafter we started paying an exorbitant amount of money by the hour to log on to AOL as the first, only local number net provider in our area. Although I don't recall actually browsing many websites then. Just searching FTPs for data and lapping up the early days of AOHell's online community.

All nostalgia aside, traditional message boards are a valid place to interact without the risk of being spammed by countless trolls, such as making a YouTube comment for example. Of course, I'm trolling now I guess. But I'm just a single digit.

The biggest problem I have with using a site with a wide deployment is context. If you aren't interacting with people that already have a base understanding of the particular subject you wish to engage in, much of the intended discussion is lost in translation. And then you are back to being trolled, or mindless ingratiation.

The future internet could very well resemble the social concepts found in the movie Idiocracy: Somebody takes a picture of their butt and it gets 'liked' and up-voted to infinity.

Great post! Care to share it to your favorite bullshit social media site?

BookmarkShare.png

It's funny, but you blink, and tech has created something trendier and you, unless you're dutifully keeping up, are left saying WTF? Unless you have a shitload of time on your hands, you can't.

Well said Flash. It is unfortunate to be motivated by fear of obsolescence but that's what we seem to deal with much of the time. Sometimes it is true innovation that becomes the trend, and other times, it is recycling of the same thing. But it's the new trend either way!

Skinny jeans. Boot cut jeans. Myspace. Facebook. Rinse and repeat. But make sure you do so! It could effect your personal and professional life.

Watched it all the way through without stopping. It was easy, especially since I don't do Twitter/Instagram, or give a fuck about celebrities.

Thanks for posting that.

Back
Top Bottom