Upgrading RAM

Not at all. I end up naming and talking to my PCs all the time. My last one was Chihiro, and I really didn't like her (slow, iffy sound, etc). But then I was days from getting Shizuku (much better, typing this on her) and lay in bed thinking about it and what would happen to Chihiro, when the thought "I hope nothing bad happens to her" went through my head, swiftly followed by "What the fuck was that?".

For the record, Chihiro is now operating as my mum's computer, and is working just fine.

I do some of this as well. My old laptop was called "Iori" and my new Quad Core desktop machine is called "Konata". I'm especially amused by that one since even 'her' BIOS splash screen has Konata from Lucky Star on it.

Haha, so I see I'm far from alone in having given most of my computers anime names. I've been going with an AI/android/cyborg theme. My PII desktop has its network name set as "SHARONAPPLE", my P4 desktop is set as "IFURITA", my P4M laptop is "OMOIKANE", and my Asus netbook* is "GALLY".

*Btw, anybody have recomendations about Linux distros for a Linux noob? I'd like to switch my netbook away from Xandros, because my experience with it has been rather poor. I find myself increasing using KDE utils, because the default Xandros stuff is so neutered and buggy. Just taking the Xandros file manager for example:
1) over half the time, trying to look at files' properties in the FM crashes it
2) the status bar often shows the wrong number of files present in --and amount of space occupied by-- the current directory
3) if you have a split window, and you connect to a remote directory (e.g. by SFTP) in one pane, and select a remote file for deletion, it thinks you want to delete the contents of the local directory in the other pane. What the hell.

(It's possible I may have screwed some stuff up by using apt-get -- apparently, from what I read somewhere, although Xandros is Debian based, you can screw things up by doing apt-get for certain things because of incompatibilities between standard Debian and Xandros.)

Plus the Xandros package/update manager doesn't let you reverse any updates. Like the update that disabled the touchpad during typing to prevent inadvertant taps caused by one's palm pressing against the touchpad, which is right next to the spacebar. At the time, it seemd like a reasonable update to install, since I was indeed making some accidental taps as a result of the touchpad's position rightnext to the keyboard. Only the update didn't only disable the touchpad surface itself for half a second after any keypress, it even disabled the hardware left and right keys (which have zero likelihood of being pressed accidentally). So you can imagine how great this is for times when one needs to shift-click or ctrl-click. ("Pressing shift, ok, now I need to wait a second... ok, now I can click.") This one update alone tempts me to reinstall everything, except I figure that if I go to that trouble I might as well go with a version that's more appealing than Xandros, which is almost kiosk-like in its lack of detailed options and preferences.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, there's no way to put a particular update into an "ignore" category. There are a number of other annoyances I won't go into.

In old PC Systems years ago it really was necessary to use pairs because mixed ram caused system trouble with the mainboard.

You ain't lyin' there. I still don't like mixing them, but they seem to have gotten over the "gotta be the same" deal.

Oh yeah. lol I'm so blind. Pete's plug-in did the trick. Go figure.
Oh! I also got Windows xp Pro to run on a 400 processor with only 64MB of RAM. lol This was on an old EMachines that I was working on in computer class. The boot logo took like 3½ minutes just to load to the desktop, then 2 more minutes for the desktop to be fully active. lol It was still slow even when I did msconfig and disabled alot of startup programs and services. xD

If you think that's something, I hope you didn't run it for long. The Prefetch folder would have puked all over your harddrive.
I still empty mine once a week.

Back
Top Bottom