UN Squadron hack, need some guidence

White_Comet

Hello all,

I'm new to the rom hacking scene (and searched all 47 pages of threads before posting), but have plenty of experience dabbling around in hex editing thanks to the X-port device for the ps2 and Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space. I opened up the same file in Hex Workshop back then, seeking some of the special items that were exclusive to japan, and figured out how everything was recorded. As a result, I found 3 hidden pilots in the game and uploaded my hacked save to gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/save/582582.html

Anyway, I've turned my attention back to the system that got many of us started, the Super NES and the second game I played on it, UN Squadron. Don't get me wrong, the game is awesome as-is, but I've felt that it could use some refreshing here and there.

After putting the rom in GnomeHex (yup, I'm linux!), I found that all of the story text is readily editable but that's pretty much it. My idea for a project is to rework all of the planes a bit, changing their characteristics (not graphics, but how they work) and eventually build it into a new game. But getting to know how the nuts and bolts of the game comes before making pretty graphics for it.

Here's a screenshot from the original game to get everyone on the same page:
gfs_40471_2_4.jpg

Pressing the "B" button would bring up a confirmation screen with the plane's name ("Thunderbolt2" for example) and maximum cannon power (Max Level 3). This is the window that I'm referring to. And in that screenshot, I can't seem to locate anywhere in hex the plane's individual designations (F8E, A10A and so on)

So far, here's what I've discovered via hex editing:
All Story Text, including intro, character selection, weapon shop text, mission briefing, mission accomplished phrases and ending
Plane Name and Maximum Firepower level (in hex editor, it shows up as ascii text "555367" but doesn't appear to 'stick' while playing the game)

Could I get a hand with this, in order to gain a better understanding of how the game is put together?

Thanks,
Travis

You'll want to learn about debugging if you really want to accomplish anything.

BSNES has a Linux port and a debugger, so that's probably where you'll want to start.

Back
Top Bottom