The sad state of my computer, where've I been?

Zophar

Original Founder
Hello all,

So yup... my computer took a poop on me a little while back. Finally back up and running - being a manager really sucks during the holidays - especially when Circuit City goes bankrupt at the conclusion of the holidays and therefore the holidays don't really end in January!

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. How has everyone been?

Wow, yeah...I know they've been hit by bad times so I'm sorry to hear about that. Anyway, I think things are going good. :p

Hello all,

So yup... my computer took a poop on me a little while back. Finally back up and running - being a manager really sucks during the holidays - especially when Circuit City goes bankrupt at the conclusion of the holidays and therefore the holidays don't really end in January!

Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. How has everyone been?

Nice to have you back. You worked at Circuit City?
icon9.gif
Sorry.... something else will turn up, if it hasn't already.

I'm a bit stressed-out lately, but otherwise ok. I was away from the boards for a bit myself, recently.

Btw, I've occasionally wondered about something... Years ago, back when sending video over the internet was still something of a novelty, and long before everyone and their grandma was posting videos on the web, I remember you recorded and posted to ZD two or three episodes of a program during which you discussed various emulation stuff. Are those still floating around somewhere on the server or on a tape backup somewhere? It would be kind of cool to still have those up somewhere on the site.

Actually, no, I never did work at Circuit City. Best Buy, actually - was referring to the fact that since Circuit went under, Best Buy business has exploded and as a manager, I have to take care of that increase in business so...yup! Been a busy few months. Knock on wood.

Actually, no, I never did work at Circuit City. Best Buy, actually - was referring to the fact that since Circuit went under, Best Buy business has exploded and as a manager, I have to take care of that increase in business so...yup! Been a busy few months. Knock on wood.

Aah, well that makes sense that Best Buy would see a boost in sales as a result of this. I suppose that's a good thing. :)

Funny, I actually thought that's what he meant in the first place, as the Holidays are generally a more busy time for every store. That's also quite the same story over here, being Circuit City went under, Best Buy is the only other local tech store (well... besides Radioshack)

It's great to have you back, Zophar

Yeah they either hire jerks or some dumb bimbo who dont know WTF a light bulb is... they relply to you.. huh? what? let me get the manager...

Yeah they either hire jerks or some dumb bimbo who dont know WTF a light bulb is... they relply to you.. huh? what? let me get the manager...

It's not that so much as selection and price. For example I go in looking for a webcam "I didn't have a ride to Walmart and it's way to far to walk". I found 2, the cheapest on is $60 on sale and the other is over a $100. I get the cheap one and the mount snaps in 2 weeks, and the software is absolute garbage that control brightness/color/ect.

Hell they used to sell decent Raw speaker parts and other hard to find electronics parts and in a lot of towns you might see a personal computer in the store window "you didn't see computers much back then", but that was about 30 years ago and from what I see nowadays is the most basic stuff and just a small assortment in stock. Sure if you need some coax or a connector and want to pay more than any other store it's the place to go but besides that I think it's time for them to get rid of all upper management that deal with what to stock the store with for goods and lay them all off. Then hire all brand new staff with new ideas and if they stock a bunch of cellphone crap or other stuff I can buy cheaper at any other store then fire them and start again till someone with a clue does it right.

I agree with it being a joke of a store, however it's the ONLY place to get cheap electronic parts locally

I did buy a cable there not too long ago for a samsung phone, and I had to return it as the connector did not physically fit on my phone, even though it said it would on the back of the blister packaging. They however would not accept it as they said it was a problem with software being incompatible with my computer :confused:

Isildur-

You're referring to "Zophar's underworld" which, until 3 weeks ago I had a complete backup of, including the entire site as it was in 1996, 1998 and 2000. And I lost it all a few weeks ago. Sigh... :(

I doubt I ever backed it up to CD, stupid me. I just left it on my hard drive for the last 10 years. I know, stupid right? If I do find that I was smart enough to put it on a CD at some point, I'll let you know...

Radio Shack, that's a joke of a store, overpriced and bad selection.

I also agree with this. What happened to the cool Radio Shack that had all the enthusiast electronics and PC stuff? The new one is cell phones. Mostly.

That's terrible, we have cell phone stores up the wazoo, we don't need any more. :p

Funny, I actually thought that's what he meant in the first place, as the Holidays are generally a more busy time for every store. That's also quite the same story over here, being Circuit City went under, Best Buy is the only other local tech store (well... besides Radioshack)

Hi, how would you like those batteries for free? If you sign up for a Radio Shack credit card you get $10 in store credit. No? Well how about a cell phone? Please buy something, because otherwise they won't pay me. I know, it looks like I get paid, but actually they lied to me and told me they would hire me for $9 an hour, then paid me $4.50 saying I had to break that in commission every hour of every day otherwise I lose my commission. And really, what kind of commission can I make on two old people coming in to get batteries for their hearing aids twice a day?

(None of the above is a joke. I worked at TandyLand back in 2000 before quitting in a most legendary way. The only time I earned money was doing [in violation of my contract] small repairs for people so they wouldn't have to wait 5 months for Fort Worth to do it, and when installing PSX mod chips.)

Isildur-

You're referring to "Zophar's underworld" which, until 3 weeks ago I had a complete backup of, including the entire site as it was in 1996, 1998 and 2000. And I lost it all a few weeks ago. Sigh... :(

I doubt I ever backed it up to CD, stupid me. I just left it on my hard drive for the last 10 years. I know, stupid right? If I do find that I was smart enough to put it on a CD at some point, I'll let you know...

Ack, sorry to reopen recent wounds. :(
At any rate, old video clips may be nice, but it's even better to see you around here again. :thumb up:

Back
Top Bottom