Super Mario Crossover

The 9th Sage

I just discovered this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416

It's basically Super Mario Bros, but with a choice of other popular Nintendo characters, all of who play differently in significant ways than Mario does. :) It's pretty neat. Some are quite an adjustment, since you expect SMB to play a certain way. Especially Simon Belmont, he moves exactly as he does in Castlevania, which really isn't anything close to how Mario moves. :p

yeah i saw this yesterday and i fell in love.

most flash/mini mario/nintendo games have a lot of limitations that take away from the real feeling of the original games, until now. This is pretty close to perfect.

Isn't that what the 'Merge Threads' option is for?

Also, while this is awesome, it keeps crashing Flash Player on my Debian GNU/Linux system for some reason. At least it gives me a good test case for Iceweasel/Firefox's new out-of-process plugin support.

Edit: Yay, it works! Took longer to crash than usual, but it did, and it didn't bring down the whole browser this time. Once they extend this to all plugins and not just Flash, it should be great.

Last edited:
. . .

you DO realize that there's already a thread for this RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO YOURS, right?!

No. Just got there while doing other things. Weird seeing the post in the middle of other posts. As if it was....well I put the original link anyway. Not totally the same. It's unusual for similar threads to exist, people are going to jump to make comments. It happens. Merging them just adds confusion. So not my bad. A similar topics sidebar or something may help.

Isn't that what the 'Merge Threads' option is for?

Also, while this is awesome, it keeps crashing Flash Player on my Debian GNU/Linux system for some reason. At least it gives me a good test case for Iceweasel/Firefox's new out-of-process plugin support.

Edit: Yay, it works! Took longer to crash than usual, but it did, and it didn't bring down the whole browser this time. Once they extend this to all plugins and not just Flash, it should be great.

Opera and CentOS had less trouble.

Yes, but playing as Mario is much harder that playing in the original game for the NES.
But I like this.
That's because Mario's physics are off. Basically you can see this by going to 1-2 and getting on top of the |_|---|_| blocks and trying to make it to the roof. It just doesn't work, the running speed doesn't increase his jump enough.

Actually there are a number of improvement they could make. The "coin heaven" areas should play a separate theme to water levels. Mega Man's should be able to rapid fire, and fire power should do more damage. Link should be able swim.

Also there should be more variety in the music as a whole. Wouldn't it be better if each Castle played a different Wily Castle stage for Mega Man. You've also got to think NSF version of SNES tunes would work better for some levels. Samus underwater should be Meridia's Theme and Link's cave should LttP's Cave Theme.

They're mostly minor quibbles though, it's other wise a very good replica. Although Bill is over powered and for some reason level 2-3 is an evil pain(who's idea was it that jumping cheep-cheeps had more than one HP, they don't seem move the same either so you run into them more)

Simon can do the double jump.
That's nice, a convenient bug.
When you fall, just press JUMP again, and you get out of the pit.

Back
Top Bottom