Strange Firefox crashes on my new Computer

schmocke

Hi everyone.
I assembled a new "hell of a machine" :) PC system since my old Pentium 4 was nearly eight years old. Everything worked fine and I installes Windows 7 64 Bit.
Now I have a weird problem. Sometimes Firefox crashes and the whole system freezes or instantly reboots. That happend twice when Firefox was trying to download something. It was some feeware from Sourceforge - the automatic download started, but before I got the message where to save the file - everything freezes and an auto-reboot happened. I don´t know what´s causing this!? A similar thing happens when playing Quake Live - after one or two matches, when I try to join another match - guess what, Computer reboots and afterwards, Firefox puts out this errorcode:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 201326592 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 76 bytes) in /var/www/quakelive/libs/session.php on line 257

I´ve read in there forums and others have this error too - but the behaviour of my system is a riddle for me. Any ideas?

Systemspecs:
Core i-7 930, 6GB Corsair Kit @1333MHz, Gigabyte X58A UD3R R.2.0, GTX470, Samsung HDDs (320GB; 1TB)

Alright. I did a Memorytest with the bootable version of memtest86+. No errors occured. I tried Opera 10.60. Opera doesn´t reboot the system, but also freezes the Computer in certain situations. With Quakelive, Opera runs more stable, but after some matches it also hangs at join in. I think, it could possibly be a Java Issue, since all that sites use extensive Active-X elements, I guess. I´ll try now to uninstall all given browsers and Java related stuff, cleaning the Registry and reinstall Firefox.

uh huh, did you run the test overnight?

did you CPU burn the PC? (ie run something like prime 95 for at the very least a few hours while checking temps?)

No. The Memorytest lasted around 90 minutes. And I doubt a temp issue, ´cause I can play Metro 2033 or Split/Second all night long with highest settings. I run ccleaner after deinstalling Firefox, Opera and Java. There was a bad Active-X entry in registry. Now, I reinstalled Opera and Java (32 & 64 Bit JRE), 64 Bit JRE in case that I have to use Internet Explorer 64 sometimes.
I´ll run Prime 95 at given time, especially when the freezes persist. So far, no errors yet.

Its your network card drivers , the network card itself, or the network. The reboot is the BSOD, but turned off to auto reboot(changed in the advanced button in My Computer properties) . Update your drivers, that may help. If not get a new cheap network card.

No, it´s not my Network card. It is the RAM. It produces no errors in Memtest, but running it with 1066MHz gives no BSODs. Further investigation in BIOS related to Voltage, UnCore Voltage and VTT will be necessary, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom