So... I still have an account here?

Lillymon

Been a while (i.e. ~6 years) since I posted here, but hey I somehow managed to remember my password! Lot of stuff happened in those years. I moved house multiple times, got back into video gaming to some extent, turned 30, gained some interesting new health problems, and sadly lost my mother to cancer last year. But overall I'm doing okay I suppose. How's everyone else?

Hey, welcome back! Sorry to hear about your mother.

I became a father 2,5 months ago! So yeah, its been tiring and time consuming, but also a very rewarding time. I'm only just getting my head around the fact that my personal goals will have to be put on hold for a while.

Hmm, I got a little buzzed, and I remembered about ZD. Decided to check on it and see if it is still around. Saw your post! Me, I married way back in 05 and I am still happily married (albeit, an international marriage with 3 kids does hit its rough spots). I one of the fortunate people whom got a good job and have been able to stay there for a decade.

It is funny. In the wayback machine, I use to argue with a fellow named Quasius. The jokes on me. With time and a good income, my outlook has shifted conservative.

I guess that happens when you make a good income and 46% goes to taxes (excluding other taxes such as the 13% sales tax and property taxes). I don't mind paying my fair share but when the government keeps taking from me to give to other people, I get frustrated (ie. i pay full freight daycare while others get subsidized 90%, college tuition tax credits were eliminated for my kids to give low income free tuition - ie I pay full freight). Meanwhile, the government debt keeps increasing and increasing - very, very frustrating.

It really sucks! I am a Cannuck by the way!

What is with politics these days anyway? In Canada, we have dimwit who is a Prime Minister more concerned with being a pretty face and virtue signalling. Down there in the States, you had the choice between a giant douche and turd sandwich. God, the worst part is I cannot even be sure that your electorate made the wrong choice in disastrous candidate. They were both awful in utterly different ways.

Hey, welcome back! Sorry to hear about your mother.

I became a father 2,5 months ago! So yeah, its been tiring and time consuming, but also a very rewarding time. I'm only just getting my head around the fact that my personal goals will have to be put on hold for a while.

As a father of 3 kids, depending on your personal goals, you will have to reevaluate. Kids change you. You will find that you will not have the time for some of your personal goals and eventually they fall by the wayside as unimportant. You will also find that new things become much more important and become your goals. Furthermore, if you are one of the lucky person to be with your girlfriend/wife, life becomes a bit of a precarious balance.

You cannot forget to lavish some attention on your significant other during this trying time. If you forget, your relationship can fall apart. To be quite honest, as much as people say the first few years of child is wonderful, the stress that kids apply to your relationship is an absolute hell.

Tired grump wives/girlfriends, tired grumpy husbands/boyfriends and whining, pooping children do not make for a happy relationship if you do not take time to nurture that relationship! If you do not nurture that relationship, you can forget about sex and welcome resentment.

For two of my kids, my wife suffered post par-tum depression that went untreated (the usual it cannot happen to me, i don't want help bit). Our relationship was lucky to survive that. I tried my best to help out and sometimes it seemed like it was never enough. There were a lot of hurtful things said, but luckily we made i through. Now, with my kids beyond the baby point, our relationship has turned great again.

I use to love emulation, games, and RPGs. Now, years on, I cannot even get engrossed in them anymore. Part of me wants to play, but the time required to get engrossed in them is not available anymore between parenting activities, relationship nurturing, and work activities.

Thank you for the advice! Honestly, I'm slowly finding out everything you're saying is true.

I got really attached to my kid since day 1, so now I'm switching back to paying more attention to my relationship as well.

As for video games, its unlikely I'll be playing much of those until I'm able to play some with my kid. Its dawning on me that its simply unrealistic. Not only is there work, relationship activites and taking care of the kids, but growing older I've realized I've gotta start working out and taking care of myself or I feel like a train wreck. That means sports activities and spending more time cooking.

Here is one other piece of advice. When your kid gets sick, watch out for pneumonia. Our eldest got it and we did not know the signs. Having him rushed to the hospital with a fever seizure was not fun.

Fortunately, we learned to recognize when it is happening. We have caught it a few times early since then. Basically, your kid will come down with a flu of some sort and get the usual symptoms. This will to run its course and the child will start to appear to be better. He will have a couple hours to day of fairly energetic playing. What will then happen is that day or night they will come down with a fever again and it will sap their energy. They will be completely zonked. If this continues to last for a day ortwo and does not go away, you need to worry about pneumonia and get your kid to the doctor.

That lull period where the kid is feeling better and the kid gets sick is the period when the secondary infection is taking hold. Of course pneumonia can happen without this lull period, but as a parent, if you can recognize the lull period, it will make your life much easier!

Hey! Good to see some familiar names. Also, congratulations on becoming a father, Ed!

Life is going well here. Relieved to be finishing my master's degree this month, and then my wife and I are planning to start working on getting new jobs and moving across the country for something a little different.

Wow! everyone here seems to be from the early 2000s (1999 is when I started messing around with emulators, but it wasn't until later that I started getting actively involved in the emulation scene

Back
Top Bottom