So I bought a PS3 today...

Cornellius

I also bought Metal Gear Solid 4. (THE reason why I bought the console). I used to play the first three games on the normal mode, but this game seems harder, or maybe it's me since I didn't have the time to play games for a couple of months.

I also bought Metal Gear Solid 4. (THE reason why I bought the console). I used to play the first three games on the normal mode, but this game seems harder, or maybe it's me since I didn't have the time to play games for a couple of months.

I've only beaten the first 2, lol. I still like the games though. Thats cool you picked up a PS3 though

When it was tax return time here in the US I thought about picking up a PS3, but I ended up buying a new TV and upgrading some PC hardware instead. Actually, part of the reason I was thinking about it is that I would really like a GOOD BluRay player. Seems like the time is right for me to join the so called "HD revolution".

The future isn't about BluRay at all, in my opinion. Digital downloads is the next wave of the "HD revolution". Most downloads now a days have an option for HD, whether 720 or 1080p. Most new TV's allow streaming of this through USB ports.
It's just a matter of how long it takes people to catch up with their internet connections. Oh, and the DRM issue.

Enjoy your shit bitrate.

Actually...I don't think discs will go away, but on my Blu-Ray player there's a "download and rental" service called Vudu..it's pretty much an extra application that it has (along with some others like Netflix and Pandora Radio). You can pay like say five dollars and stream a movie in HD (you get access to it for a day, or more if you choose to buy it). Let me tell you...I've watched a couple of videos in HD from there (The Iron Giant and the Star Trek reboot) and the quality is astonishing. It may not be quite as good as Blu-Ray, but it's damn close.

I say this as someone who considers themselves a bit of a videophile. If the quality was 'eh' I'd be complaining about it, believe me. The thing that amazes me even more is that it was streaming. I didn't have to wait for a download, and the quality was still awesome. Granted, I have FiOS (though the lower tier of it), but I'm surprised by how excellent it looked and how well it streamed (with no problems at all). Honestly, I wasn't actually expecting it to look that good.

*edit*
Oh, and I should mention that it was streaming in full 1080p. O_O

Last edited:
I doubt BluRay will go the way of betamax as people will always want something tangible to hold onto.
On the other hand, the rate of technological progression seen in the past 15, 10, and 5 years...I'd love to see where we would be 10 years from now. Cloud computing could greatly reduce the stress on a server while streaming.
The Xbox offers something similar to Vulu with their Zune market place. It allows you to stream 1080p video with absolutely no buffering. It just ain't cheap, lol.

the ps3 or 360 dont interest me anymore.they arent real game consoles anyway.They are nothing morte than scaled down PCs running on out-of-date PC components.80% of the games for the 360 and PS3 are available on windows anyway with far superior graphics.The PS3 and 360 exsist simply because not every once can afford a decent gaming rig.

Not everyone who can afford a "decent gaming rig" has any interest in owning one. Some of us like being able to stick a disc in our console and not have to worry about the myriad of things that can go wrong with a PC. Some of us dislike gaming with keyboards and mice and prefer the standard controller.

Fun fact, though. Every video game console ever developed was a "scaled down PCs".

Back
Top Bottom