Shit That's Out Of Date

InVerse

Here's a short list of shit that's out of date on this site. It's nowhere near exhaustive, it's just what I came up with 20 minutes or so of poking around. (All of these are for Windows, I didn't check other OSes.)

Atari 2600 - Stella
DS - iDeaS
Gameboy - Gambatte
Gameboy Advance - VBA-M
SNES - bsnes

The entries for each of those includes a link to the official site where the newest versions can be downloaded. I informed Reaper man about iDeaS being out-of-date over 2 weeks ago. He took the time to look up a news post where someone had mentioned the update and stated that it would be added to ZD later but apparently he didn't bother to actually add the new version.

Also, why is FCEUX listed under "Other Emulators" when FCE Ultra and all of it's out-dated forks are listed under "Best Emulators"?

Oh, and you should probably rewrite approximately 97% of the emulator descriptions. There are at least 100 "new emulators" that haven't been updated in at least 5 years.

Seriously, why bother keeping the site going at all if it's going to be so horribly out of date? You'd be better off giving me an account so I could take my third shot at rebuilding the thing from the ground up.

Seriously, why bother keeping the site going at all if it's going to be so horribly out of date? You'd be better off giving me an account so I could take my third shot at rebuilding the thing from the ground up.

You may not believe this, but I think laughed for like ten minutes on reading this part. That surely went well the last time you were given any kind of power on this site. I forget though, I can't really speak for that any more, not being an admin any longer...I suppose I just wanted to put in my two cents.

Last edited:
The last time I was given "any kind of power" on this site was against my will. I never asked to be made a moderator. I simply told SwampGas that you were an idiot and he responded by making me a moderator.

I don't do damage to a site when I'm voluntarily working on it. You can check with Nightcrawler over at RHDN for confirmation of that. I was a staff member at RHDN for several months. When I decided I no longer wanted to be affiliated with the site, I informed him as such and he removed my staff privileges. All problems that arose between me and RHDN didn't occur until some time after that.

Aside from the forum episode (and, for the record, I never crashed the forum, I simply fucked with a few user accounts and then SwampGas shut down the forum because he was too stupid to figure out what had happened. The software itself was untouched.) the only "damage" I've ever done to this site was replacing (not deleting, simply renaming) the front page with a message informing everyone that Zophar had died in a car wreck. And that happened because I had tendered my resignation and the fat fuck wouldn't quit pestering me to keep working on the site. They had such a brilliant server admin at that point in time that even after I told him exactly how the site had been defaced and how to fix it, he still couldn't figure out who had done it. (At that point in time, the entire site was run by a single FTP account and pages were updated via manual HTML. The only CMS that existed was the newsposter and it didn't even have individual accounts, you accessed the script via a .htaccess password protected directory (with a single login) and you just selected your own username from the dropdown list.)

Here's a short list of shit that's out of date on this site. It's nowhere near exhaustive, it's just what I came up with 20 minutes or so of poking around. (All of these are for Windows, I didn't check other OSes.)

Atari 2600 - Stella
DS - iDeaS
Gameboy - Gambatte
Gameboy Advance - VBA-M
SNES - bsnes

The entries for each of those includes a link to the official site where the newest versions can be downloaded. I informed Reaper man about iDeaS being out-of-date over 2 weeks ago. He took the time to look up a news post where someone had mentioned the update and stated that it would be added to ZD later but apparently he didn't bother to actually add the new version.

Also, why is FCEUX listed under "Other Emulators" when FCE Ultra and all of it's out-dated forks are listed under "Best Emulators"?

Oh, and you should probably rewrite approximately 97% of the emulator descriptions. There are at least 100 "new emulators" that haven't been updated in at least 5 years.

I've seen Game Boy spelled like that dozens of times all over the site.

I've seen Game Boy spelled like that dozens of times all over the site.

Because that's how it SHOULD be spelled. I (seriously) only discovered a couple of weeks ago that Nintendo has been spelling it wrong for over 20 years now without me ever noticing.

The last time I was given "any kind of power" on this site was against my will. I never asked to be made a moderator. I simply told SwampGas that you were an idiot and he responded by making me a moderator.

I don't do damage to a site when I'm voluntarily working on it. You can check with Nightcrawler over at RHDN for confirmation of that. I was a staff member at RHDN for several months. When I decided I no longer wanted to be affiliated with the site, I informed him as such and he removed my staff privileges. All problems that arose between me and RHDN didn't occur until some time after that.

Aside from the forum episode (and, for the record, I never crashed the forum, I simply fucked with a few user accounts and then SwampGas shut down the forum because he was too stupid to figure out what had happened. The software itself was untouched.) the only "damage" I've ever done to this site was replacing (not deleting, simply renaming) the front page with a message informing everyone that Zophar had died in a car wreck. And that happened because I had tendered my resignation and the fat fuck wouldn't quit pestering me to keep working on the site. They had such a brilliant server admin at that point in time that even after I told him exactly how the site had been defaced and how to fix it, he still couldn't figure out who had done it. (At that point in time, the entire site was run by a single FTP account and pages were updated via manual HTML. The only CMS that existed was the newsposter and it didn't even have individual accounts, you accessed the script via a .htaccess password protected directory (with a single login) and you just selected your own username from the dropdown list.)

Yes, I KNOW what you did to the forums (and yes, I know about how the site was run back then, you don't have to explain the ins and outs to me). It's besides the point, but I don't like Swampgas any more than you do (for the record). Why do you think my stint as an actual staffer back then lasted for so little time? At any rate, the point was that it doesn't matter if you wanted that power or not, you abused it horribly. Excuse me if that doesn't speak volumes about how trustworthy you are to me. I can say with no doubt that if I were in your position there I wouldn't have done what you did. Buuut anyway, like I said, I was just putting in my opinion. I'm no longer the one you would need to talk to about this.

Last edited:
Then you clearly have a very limited view of the situation and what went on.

No, I know what went on. That idiot gave you mod capability (I can definitely say that I told him multiple times what a terrible idea that was, so I'm with you on that one), then you exploited that and (if I remember correctly from back then) other flaws in the way the old site worked to cause trouble for a lot of people. People who had done absolutely nothing to you. For 'the lulz', as it were, simply because you could. On top of this, all the people you fucked around with were friends of mine. I know exactly what you did, and I know you definitely know nothing of how any of those people felt in the aftermath. Yet I'm the one with the narrow view of the situation.

I'm not really sure why you would think I'd be on board with any of this...that is, think that' it's just wonderful for someone to act in that way. At any rate, I'm done arguing with you about it. I realized with you a long time ago that you'll never change, so it doesn't really matter what I try to say to you since you'll keep on doing whatever is you're doing.

Last edited:
As I said, you clearly have an extremely narrow view on the subject. And you clearly have absolutely no interest in the truth. It's nice that you apparently know exactly what I was thinking and my reasoning behind things, though. Too bad none of it matches with reality. At least you're clearly displaying why this site has failed under your watch.

As I said, you clearly have an extremely narrow view on the subject. And you clearly have absolutely no interest in the truth. It's nice that you apparently know exactly what I was thinking and my reasoning behind things, though. Too bad none of it matches with reality. At least you're clearly displaying why this site has failed under your watch.

Uh huh, ok InVerse. I'll take your word on it.

Well that was a nice "You're misinformed!"/"No, you're misinformed!" double act from Ian and [Insert InVerse's real name here], now how about we get back on topic rather than talking about what a dumb fatass SwampGas was?

Stella
ZD page
Official download page
ZD version: 3.0 (probably should be "3.0.0")
Current version: 3.1.2

iDeaS
ZD page
Official download page
ZD version: 1.0.3.3/1.0.3.4 beta
Current version: 1.0.3.5/1.0.3.6 beta

Gambatte
ZD page
Official download page
ZD version: 0.4.0
Current version: 0.4.1

VBA-M
ZD page
Official download page
ZD version: Build 945
Current version: Build 945

bsnes
ZD page
Official download page
ZD version: 0.62 (should be "062")
Current version: 064

So InVerse is mostly right, though I don't see it on VBA-M (the ZD version matches the latest official version right now from what I can see, and I don't see any updates in Emulator News for it since InVerse started this topic). I'd update the rest myself, except that I'm currently not able to (I think Edman would need to give me the necessary privileges). One of the staff that is able should do so when possible.

Some of the descriptions really need a bit of proof reading too. I spotted stuff like "CPU,graphics", "does notrequire", and "Game Boyemulator" on the Game Boy page alone. Embarrassingly, I'm pretty sure the last two are my own doing from my time as a content manager (also "This is by far and away one of the best Game Boy emulators around." which I would change to "This is definitely one of the better Game Boy emulators around." if I had the power).

But the outdated versions are the primary concern.

Edit: Fixed a spelling mistake in the part where I admit to being embarrassed by past spelling mistakes. Some things never change.

Last edited:
may I add that this is in fact gutzsant's fault due to his issues with uploading content, and I'll probably have to replace him at some point.

I'm a bit surprised with regards to bsnes. 063 was release on 28th March, while 064 was released on 14th April. These aren't recent updates and bsnes is far from obscure, so it seems pretty extraordinary to have completely missed them.

So InVerse is mostly right, though I don't see it on VBA-M (the ZD version matches the latest official version right now from what I can see, and I don't see any updates in Emulator News for it since InVerse started this topic).

Best I can tell, I got confused looking at the official VBA-M site (vba-m.com) due to spacing issues related to the fact that I surf with images off. So, yeah, looks like VBA-M is fine.

Back
Top Bottom