security threat

shawn

Not saying it is a security threat first off. Now here's what happened. I was on reddit.com and McAffe scanner pops up as scheduled and scans the PC. I get one warning under web threats and it says Zophar.net is a security threat.

I ignore it of course but it may be time to send an email off to McAffe to find out how this is happening and to get taken off the list of offending sites.

Did it say which URL it considered a threat, or was it the root domain?

ZD constantly gets harassed by virus scanning tools. There are 20,600 files on ZD so that leaves plenty of options for false positives. There are also tools which automatically scan websites, decide that a website has a virus, and then emails the hosting company and puts the IP on a blacklist. The last such incident ended with me having to move to a different server altogether, and the virus in question - it was a 10 year old text file, only 860 bytes long. Not even close to an actual virus.

Step One: Uninstall McAfee and start using a decent antimalware system. McAfee is such a piece of shit that even the guy who invented it refuses to use it.

Shawn, but it is very good that you notify this.

Can you try to get some screenshots, or try to check more detail of what McAfee tells you which is the source code of malware on Zophar. Maybe it gives details on where is the site blacklisted.

Regards

Shawn, but it is very good that you notify this.

Can you try to get some screenshots, or try to check more detail of what McAfee tells you which is the source code of malware on Zophar. Maybe it gives details on where is the site blacklisted.

Regards

It didn't specify what was the problem. It just showed up on the regular scan. Also it wasn't the forum but the front page so I'm guessing it's something to do with the main page. I'm no expert though at this stuff so it's just a guess.

I know I'm late to the party on this thread but when I had McAfee the viruses were going in through their programing many times and they would block all kinds of stuff that was actually safe stuff. They even blocked discs that had interactive programing. The last straw was when it took 2 months and a great deal of advice from my friends at the old ISOHunt to get rid of an especially nasty virus. What saved me is that I had a second user login because the damn thing blocked me from signing in. At their suggestion I switched to Emsisoft and have had no problems plus their program is more flexible giving you more control over it. I would never go back to McAfee again. Well, I had one problem - got hacked about 6 months ago but I don't know what they were looking for. I got a prompt that kept saying "File not found" and it wasn't me searching. I shut down the internet and did a search rooted out a trojan and haven't had any problems since. I've had Emsisoft for over 7 years.

The "file not found" thing was probably the result of a broken piece of malware. Presumably, your anti-malware software detected and destroyed part of the infection, and the part that remained was attempting to run or interact with the part that was removed.

That's good to know, thanks. After the last experience I had, anything unusual comes up I scan the shit out of my computer just to be safe. And it's not like I keep anything worth anything on my computer anyway.

Back
Top Bottom