SC2 Fun

maq112k2

So, I have both the Xbox and PS2 version of Soul Calibur II for various reasons. Me, being bored and having a modificed Xbox, wanted to try something out.

I noticed that the Xbox version of Soul Calibur II has a basic file structure. Root.olk (the main files, per se), Bgm.afs, Movie.afs, and the standard xbox binary, Default.xbe. Out of boredom, I popped in the PS2 version of SCII into my computer and noticed something.. that the file structures were mainly the same, outside of the standard oddities. The PS2 version I have has FLISTD.txt (a listing of the main afs files I listed above), Root.olk, Bgm.afs, Movie.afs, 3 1gig padding files, subsequently named PAD_0.DAT, PAD_1.DAT and PAD_2.DAT, the PS2 SYSTEM.CNF file and the PS2 executable, SLUS_206.43, along with a directory with all the drivers (Directory is named IRX, as there are 9 IRX files with 1 259k IMG file), I guess they are, for the PS2. Finally.. lots of files.

So, I'm uploading the Root.olk, Movie.afs and BGM.afs from the PS2 version to my Xbox under it's own directory. Imma see if this works. :) I'll let you all in on how well it works later, if at all.

It's going to be interesting how this turns out.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> So, I'm uploading the Root.olk, Movie.afs and BGM.afs from
> the PS2 version to my Xbox under it's own directory. Imma
> see if this works. :) I'll let you all in on how well it
There is a chance it might work. They used ADX and softdec for music/movies across all 3 platforms.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> There is a chance it might work. They used ADX and softdec
> for music/movies across all 3 platforms.

And so I tried it. And no go.

It gets to the sucessfully loaded Soul Calibur II data, then that goes away and it goes black. Which doesn't surprise me. The first thing, as far as I can tell, that the game itself, after loading the save game data, loads is the introduction movie. After looking at the files' sizes, the PS2 movies file is 164 megs big, while the Xbox movies file is 418. I dunno what's up with that. I'm thinking that it's pulling different offsets on the game data from each version of the game. Maybe I can change the offsets in the executable file. Who knows.

If anything, I'll try that tomorrow.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> It's going to be interesting how this turns out.

Nice one. I remember playing about with Wipeout 1 and 2097 years ago in the same way. Did you ever think about just swapping root.olk? See if you can get Yoshimitsu playable on Xbox, or whoever's on the Xbox version playable on PS2? That would be fun.

<P ID="signature"></P>

its cause the ps2 and the xbox use different cpus (i think the ps2 uses an ARM and the Xbox uses some intel proc but i'm not sure) theoreticaly if you could acquire the source for the ps2 version you could compile it for the xbox (probably having to switch the ps2 dev headers for the xbox ones) but that would both be illegal and kinda dumb.

<P ID="signature"><hr>
Ludvuck Foruk: Thats your first problem...thinking your a panda...
sephiroth111: and once again, i am totally confused as to whats going on.</P>

> Nice one. I remember playing about with Wipeout 1 and 2097
> years ago in the same way. Did you ever think about just
> swapping root.olk? See if you can get Yoshimitsu playable on
> Xbox, or whoever's on the Xbox version playable on PS2? That
> would be fun.

Tried it. Didn't work. Still froze.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> its cause the ps2 and the xbox use different cpus (i think
> the ps2 uses an ARM and the Xbox uses some intel proc but
> i'm not sure) theoreticaly if you could acquire the source
> for the ps2 version you could compile it for the xbox

That more then likely wouldn't work. There's many things different from the three versions (as I found out). The textures, movesets, weapons, and general file structures would need to be converted in the archived files included with the game before I could even think about getting anywhere. The PS2 and Xbox sets from what I've read are generally the same, it's the Gamecube one that's the cooky one. Nonetheless, I still plan on trying to fully inject the PS2 only character into my game (that was what I was aiming for), and hopefully Link into it also.

<P ID="signature"></P>

> It gets to the sucessfully loaded Soul Calibur II data, then
> that goes away and it goes black. Which doesn't surprise
> me. The first thing, as far as I can tell, that the game
> itself, after loading the save game data, loads is the
> introduction movie.

Well, if the filename is the same, and it's the same CODEC, couldn't you theoretically just replace the PS2 movie file with the X-Box one? Or maybe the movies aren't seperate files and I'm just not paying enough attention. lol

<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/ZeldaDD
2_percent_more.txt
</a></P>

This sounds fun and all... but I seriously doubt the XBox and PS2 files both have the same headers.

You should check 'em out in a hex editor and see if you can't switch the headers around or something. :)

<P ID="signature">--
Disclaimer: The opinions displayed here are those of an asexual. Sex/relationship advice may be inaccurate.
--
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/psf_rippers/</P>

Back
Top Bottom