Saturn Emulation

GeminiMan

New member
A long time ago, I tried to find an emulator and information about emulating the Sega Saturn. However, at the time, there really appeared to be nothing that was actually in the working stages for the system. Are there any reasonable Saturn emulators in existence nowadays?
<P ID="signature"></P>
 

JCE3000GT

New member
> A long time ago, I tried to find an emulator and information
> about emulating the Sega Saturn. However, at the time, there
> really appeared to be nothing that was actually in the
> working stages for the system. Are there any reasonable
> Saturn emulators in existence nowadays?

The only working Saturn emulators are semi-playable. But its no where near the PSX emulation...and I don't have any idea why. The Satrun has alot of good games...I hate having to unpack and re-hook my Saturn back up to my TV anytime I want to play Dragon Force or something...and the Saturn controller is appaulingly bad. If emulated I can use my PS2 controller via USB adaptor...which would be better.
<P ID="signature">
sigbar1.gif
</P>
 

SamIAm

New member
>and the Saturn
> controller is appaulingly bad. If emulated I can use my PS2
> controller via USB adaptor...which would be better.
>

Man, you must be using the US controller. Every other Saturn gamer I meet says that the Japanese controller, which we started getting after the system was out for a year or so, is the single best D-pad based controller ever made. I agree with them. I have a USB compatible clone of that controller, and it's awesome.
<P ID="signature">
sonicsig1.txt
sonicsig2.txt

</P>
 

SamIAm

New member
A Japanese emulator called SSF has come into the forefront of Saturn emulators in the past year or so, and you should check it out. It actually runs most games, with a few catches. First, the emulation in general is still not totally accurate, with varying degrees of proper video rendering and almost universally funky sound. Second, you will need a heck of a computer to run it. The only people I've talked to who get really playable speeds have a 3.2GHz CPU. I don't believe SSF is optimised for dual-core CPUs either.

But yeah, like JCE said, the Saturn has a lot of good games. I'd encourage anybody to give the system's library a shot. Even if you do have a fast computer, though, the best way to do this by far is still with a real system.
<P ID="signature">
sonicsig1.txt
sonicsig2.txt

</P>
 

GeminiMan

New member
Hmm... alrighty. Thank you both for the information. I might look into this SSF emulator a bit more, but it sounds like it takes a bit more juice than my current computer has in it. Maybe when I get a new computer for college this summer I'll have some better luck.

This all kind of makes me wanna try to find my Dreamcast. Now that was a solid system.
<P ID="signature"></P>
 

JCE3000GT

New member
> Hmm... alrighty. Thank you both for the information. I might
> look into this SSF emulator a bit more, but it sounds like
> it takes a bit more juice than my current computer has in
> it. Maybe when I get a new computer for college this summer
> I'll have some better luck.

It was sort of playable with my system, but just enough to "check out" a few games. Not nearly playable 100%.

> This all kind of makes me wanna try to find my Dreamcast.
> Now that was a solid system.

I love my Dreamcast. I still wish it was a current console. Sega finally got it right--it was just too late. I blame Sony and Microsoft fanboys for its demise.

<P ID="signature">
sigbar1.gif
</P>
 
Top Bottom