Question for the admins/community?

phillyman

Retromags Webmaster
Hello fellow ZD members, my name is Phillyman. I run the website www.retromags.com , we are a group dedicated to the digital preservation of old video game magazines. Over the past 3 years of being on the internet we have scanned over 400 magazines (roughly 50,000 pages) of gaming history. We do not condone piracy and as such we only preserve magazines that are from 1987-2003. We figured there was already people covering almost every other aspect of retro gaming from emulators, box art and manuals. So we took on the project of preserving magazines such as Nintendo Power, Sega Visions, EGM, GamePro and PSM. We were front page news a few months back on Kotaku.com but we are always looking for partnerships with emulation websites. I couldn't help but notice that Zophar came back alive recently. So it begs the question, would it be cool with the admins to maybe do a weekly or monthly wrap up as a news item on the Zophar news section.

We place a ton of hard work into this project, and are currently working on providing the first 15 years of Electronic Gaming Monthly for everyone to enjoy. I hope to hear back from your community on this :)

that stuff is copyright material though, so I don't know for sure what our stance on it is. I'll talk it over with the rest of staff.

Thanks for the consideration :)

I realize the grey area that we fall into, I like to look at it as how http://www.replacementdocs.com/ runs their website. If any publisher made the request to my site for the removal of their work, we would accommodate them. We only work on this project to preserve an aspect of gaming history that over time will be lost. Magazines are not treasured like books and are only slightly above newspapers and brochures. Magazines usually are thrown in the trash within a month or so of reading, we try to find pristine copies to digitally preserve so that we do not have to further damage our own copies that we have tucked away in comic book sleeves. Where better to get reviews of games that came out 15+ years ago, than the magazines that were from that era. I know of a few websites that absolutely love our releases for finding out about games that never made it out of prototypes.

Anyways thanks again and I hope to hear thoughts and concerns from your staff and community. :)

Last edited:
I've talked to Lillymon about it, and since Edman isn't around, I personally will allow it, but you better add some game players in there as well ;p

also, you should at least let guests have a look at what you offer. I really don't feel like bothering to make an account only to see that I have no interest in the magazines you offer.

I've talked to Lillymon about it, and since Edman isn't around, I personally will allow it, but you better add some game players in there as well ;p

also, you should at least let guests have a look at what you offer. I really don't feel like bothering to make an account only to see that I have no interest in the magazines you offer.

Yeah I have been thinking about that myself, the reason I forced registration to view the downloads is because there was a glitch with the download system that was letting guests download. I think it was fixed in the newest release, and I changed it back to let guests view now.

I actually have this game players issue if your interested :)

fdb81bl5.jpg

I usually do a weekly wrap up each Monday, I can pass that news off to one of your moderators and they can do a mention as a news item.....or how ever you want to work it. I really do appreciate you guys helping us get out the word. :)

you'll have to get a hold of one of the active content managers for that. moderators don't do news. (well I guess we could, but we don't have the power to upload files, so it's a bit pointless)

Last edited:
Let's give it a try, phillyman. I'll post them if you want. Why don't you post the news in "Submit Emulation News" or send me a message? Since we are starting with this, let's focus on a brief introduction to the digital preservation of the videogames magazines. Then next time, a brief review of the advances done since last week. Let's try once per week and see how that works.

When I saw this today I thought of you and went ahead and got it :)

Oh and gutzsant I will be in contact with you shortly...thanks!

919d1nl9.jpg

# You are bidding on 8 Game Players Magazines Nintendo Guides from 1992. Leading Magazine of Video and Computer Entertainment. GENERAL NOTES
# Terrific Collection of books with hints for playing the old games, reviews of games and loads of advertisements.
# All books are in excellent condition. Minor cover wear. Shipping label on each book. Word “N” written on front covers. No tears, stains or creases. All pages tightly bound.

LIST OF MAGAZINES
# Sept 1991 - Battletoads for Nintendo, Super NES: 59 Hot Games
# Dec 1991 - Super Mario World Star Road & Special Zone, Return of the Joker
# Jan 1992 - Legend of Zelda Super Secrets, Mega Man 4
# Feb 1992 - Rule The World, Bart Simpson Vs the World
# April 1992 - SNES Supr Tennis & Extra Innings, Turtles Take Manhattan, Zelda II
# July 1992 - Castlevania IV hints, Might & Magic maps, Super Battle Tank War in the Gulf
# Aug 1992 - Zela III All hidden items revealed, SNES RoboCop 3
# Sept 1992 - Zelda 3 Super Secrets, Out of This World, Young Indiana Jones
# Oct 1992 - Street Fighter II Combat Strategy, Bart Simpson’s Nightmare
# WINTER SPECIAL - Super NES Special Issue Super Strategy Act Raiser, Pilot Wings, Final Fight, Populous, UN Squadron & More

Oh yah, I Have an issue of that magazine. I don't know what one thought. It reminds me I have remnants of Issue 16 of Nintendo Power and the every Issue from 21 or so on, minus this July's. Seven issues of Sega Visions from Feb 03 - Feb 04, although I've always thought Sega Visions was inferior product to Nintendo Power. That's only there early years, though as I wouldn't know what it was like in it's later years.

Hey, you should try and scan "Animerica"'s Gaming/Importer Magazine in there. I have an issue somewhere, never sure where I put that thing.

AAAAAH!

I remember some of those! That's when I had just started my subscription with them!

Got some more won today :)

39f01yg8.jpg

The auction that I have here is for 8 Game Players Sega Genesis Strategy Guide video game magazines.

These vintage magazines are all from 1991 thru 1993. All have been read. A couple alot more then others. Most have the mail sticker on the front cover.

The 8 issues and their condition are as follows:

1) VOL. 2 No. 3 - Aug. 1991 - Features Batman on the Cover. - Completely intact and in pretty good condition. A few small creases to the covers but overall not bad.

2) VOL. 2 No. 4 - Oct.1991 - Features Spiderman on the cover - Completely intact and in real good condition.

3) VOL. 2 No. 5 - Dec. 1991 - Features four different games on the cover - Completely intact and in great condition. One of the best in the lot.

4) VOL. 2 No. 6 - Feb. 1992 - Features Starflight on the Cover. - Completely intact, front cover has a couple big creases.and a small edge rip. Not bad but far from perfect.

5) VOL. 3 No. 1 - May.1992 - Features Pit Fighter on the cover - Completely intact, a few creases to the cover. In read condition.

6) VOL. 3 No. 2 - Jul. 1992 - Features Michael Jordan on the cover - great condition. Probably the best in the lot.

7) VOL. 3 No. 3 - Sept.1992 - Features Simpsons on the cover - Completely intact, a small crease on the front cover. real nice condition

8) SPECIAL INSERT - 1993 - Game players Nintendo-Sega Presents VIRGIN The New Games - It is a 15 page insert that covers roughly 10 different games - Real nice if not great condition.

Back
Top Bottom