PSP Emu for the Wii, true or fake?

Xeon3D

I don't know if any of you saw this already. It was on engadget a few minutes ago:

In related news, the folks from TeamShift have released that tantalizing image above of what they claim to be a working PSP emulator for the Wii although, given that it can only muster between 4 and 8 frames per second, "working" doesn't exactly mean "playable." They are promising to deliver a beta version that brings games up to their normal speed, however, although they're unsurprisingly not making any promises about when we can expect that.

Click to enlarge​

Also, if you noticed the "No$PSP" at the top left corner area as I did, I already mailed the NoCash Emulators author, to know if he's got somthing to do with this or not.

Please post your thoughts. To me it kinda looks fake.

Last edited:
right... psp DEMOS.

I haven't heard any progress on PSP emulators running commercial games, which makes this photo suspicious? Also, where's the binary/source code to back it up?

Another thing, the emu author no$cash specializes in writing x86 ASM. It doesn't make any sense that he would work on an emulator for something with a completely different architecture. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it's a fake.

I'm very doubtful. A screenshot like that doesn't prove anything. There's not even evidence that the image is being produced by a Wii (as opposed to, say, any old computer plugged into a big monitor). Even a video could be easily faked this way.

As far as I'm concerned, until we've got binaries, this is not news.

I'm very doubtful. A screenshot like that doesn't prove anything. There's not even evidence that the image is being produced by a Wii (as opposed to, say, any old computer plugged into a big monitor). Even a video could be easily faked this way.

As far as I'm concerned, until we've got binaries, this is not news.

That was my thoughs too, could easily be PC to TV.

This was discussed on Slashdot as well, where one poster pointed out that the light on the Wii appears to be yellow/orange rather than green, indicating that it's not actually on. It also looks pretty fake to me. The picture is too bright and clear, and the "NO$PsP 7 fps" text looks very much like it was added on after.

My opinion is that this is most likely a fake. Either the picture is being piped out from some other source we can't see and the text was added on after, or the entire picture on the TV was shopped.

right... psp DEMOS.

I haven't heard any progress on PSP emulators running commercial games, which makes this photo suspicious? Also, where's the binary/source code to back it up?

Another thing, the emu author no$cash specializes in writing x86 ASM. It doesn't make any sense that he would work on an emulator for something with a completely different architecture. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel that it's a fake.

Note: that some of them also play a couple of 2d games as the one on the screenshot. You could have known that if you took a little bit of time by checking the links.

But, as Paladyn said, I also higly skeptical about this.

Back
Top Bottom