Possible bandwidth saver

shawn

Change the default setter for viewing a thread from either picking a page or clicking on the on the thread link to immediately taking you to the first unread reply.

The reason is it'll stop having to load the first page and go right to the last unread and in doing that people that just click on the main link, "not one of the numbered pages in the thread", go right to the first unread reply not making the server load a page onto your browser you never even wanted or needed anyways. This will reduce unnecessary bandwidth and will make using the forum a more pleasant experience also. :D

agreed

I suspect that lately, the biggest drain on ZD's bandwith is the downloading of emus, hacks, savestates, etc., since the forums haven't seen an enourmous amount of activity recently.

Even so, however, your suggestion is a reasonable one. As a matter of fact, just before reading this, I clicked on your joke/funny picture/funny link thread, accidentally taking myself to page 1, when what I actually meant to look at was the most recent unread post.

Hey, be nice. I didn't notice that myself.

I didn't either.

I also didn't notice for a couple of weeks the feature on the main forum for marking all forums read. It's color makes it almost invisible unless you actually know where to look. Should be a contrasting color instead of light grey.

no, I'm certain it goes to the first unread post. If you hover over it it even says so.

*double checks*
Are we talking about the same arrow-- the green one? For me the tooltip says "Go to last post". Do we have different preferences set maybe? Hmm...

*double checks*
Are we talking about the same arrow-- the green one? For me the tooltip says "Go to last post". Do we have different preferences set maybe? Hmm...

It appears we aren't. I'm talking about the blue button with a white arrow pointing down that's to the left of the topic title (when there is a new post in said thread).

It appears we aren't. I'm talking about the blue button with a white arrow pointing down that's to the left of the topic title (when there is a new post in said thread).

Oh, I thought that was just some checkmark indicating there was a new post. I'll try to remember to click that instead.

Ohhh, that little blue box with a downward-pointing white chevron. Now that you mention it, no, I had not noticed that it did that. =P

Heheh, oops.
icon11.gif

Back
Top Bottom