Occasional stutter on Flash Video (Youtube) and Netflix

The 9th Sage

Has anyone else experienced this? Doesn't seem to be my CPU...I've a Quad core setup here. I don't *think* it's my GPU...works great and turning off hardware acceleration didn't help Flash any (it's a Radeon HD 5750 for anyone wondering). Also, I have Verizion FiOS, so it shouldn't be my internet (besides, it doesn't help if I let it buffer all the way first). Also, I have 4 GB of RAM, so it's not a RAM issue.

Any ideas? I guess it's kind of minor, but it's a bit irritating.

well, with firefox, it's a disk I/O issue. The next version coming out seems to help the situation a bit. There's also a direct2D renderer with the latest preview release, but you have to go through some hoops to get it enabled.

the newest release should be found here.

Flash is can be one funky video format at times mattering what the video creator did with it. You could be experiencing many things including your antivirus program monitoring the video in real time. I prefer converting to avi and then watching but I'm not sure what copy prevention net flix might use to stop doing this. I do find it a pain in the ass that Flash is so CPU intensive at times and even with a 2.1 ghz cpu it still sometimes causes my browser to be totally unresponsive as Brad was pointing out.

If possible see if you can view the video with a self contained player. I'm using GOM Player now which plays them very well, though they are already on my harddrive at the time I play them.

well, with firefox, it's a disk I/O issue. The next version coming out seems to help the situation a bit. There's also a direct2D renderer with the latest preview release, but you have to go through some hoops to get it enabled.

the newest release should be found here.

Ah, I wondered about that being a possibility. Too lazy to test it in IE as of yet. ;) Besides, IE...more like I-EEEEWW, am I right?

Flash is can be one funky video format at times mattering what the video creator did with it. You could be experiencing many things including your antivirus program monitoring the video in real time. I prefer converting to avi and then watching but I'm not sure what copy prevention net flix might use to stop doing this. I do find it a pain in the ass that Flash is so CPU intensive at times and even with a 2.1 ghz cpu it still sometimes causes my browser to be totally unresponsive as Brad was pointing out.

If possible see if you can view the video with a self contained player. I'm using GOM Player now which plays them very well, though they are already on my harddrive at the time I play them.

Yeah, Netflix wouldn't be possible for me to download. Besides, it shouldn't be the CPU since I have a really strong CPU, but also (the reason I tried turning of Hardware Acceleration first) stuff like HD flash video on Youtube is hardware acclerated with my Radeon card (actually, recently enabled hardware acceleration on my favorite video player for a bunch of other formats as well, mostly HD...cuts CPU usage in half in most cases). Oh oh, and I never have had a problem like this watching a video like this or even h.264 encoded for 1080p with stuttering when it's been 'offline', or not in the browser. It must be something like what Brad said, I wasn't really aware of that being a problem like that in Firefox, though it might explain a few things.

Oh yeah, the Direct2d is working now (had to update to a dev version of Adblock Plus since evidently the current non-beta version fubared something up). Seemed to work perfectly on the Flash video on YouTube, though that seemed to be working much better even before Direct2d. Have to test Netflix still (had to spoof my useragent string to get it's player to come up >_>).

(info on enabled Direct2d here)

EDIT: Netflix seems worse actually, doesn't seem to matter if Direct2d is enabled or not. Maybe it's something to do with Silverlight (since Netflix's Player runs on it). It could be it just doesn't work as well with Firefox, since it seems to work fine with IE.

Maybe IEtab is a workaround for this? Probably won't try it right now though.

*EDIT AGAIN*

I think I settled on using Windows Media Center for Netflix for now (don't want to use it for anything else though). I was also thinking that it could be the Netflix player itself not working as well on Firefox rather than Silverlight itself. Hopefully whatever the problem is gets fixed up.

Last edited:
Flash sucks ass and I wonder if this bullshit in the new html5 crap is going to make the internets not work for me or anyone else

I have been seeing some video lag/stuttering (when the camera pans) on some shows here.
Not all shows are effected however.
Newer shows like Naruto Shippuden or Durarara run perfect on 720p with no lag/stutter, while some (mainly some of the older ones) are riddled with stutter.
So i wonder; is that normal? Like the video is supposed to be like that for the older shows.
Or is it a problem on my end?
Oh by the way i run Firefox with flash v10 installed.

It works a lot better in the recent Firefox 4 beta (haven't had any problems, and I get all the benefits Firefox 4 is bringing). It's worth a try if you're seeing problems.

Back
Top Bottom