[n00b] Palette Editing

Mirby

Well, I'm trying to hack Dr. Mario to make it Dr. Wily, and I have a palette editor, but the problem is I can't seem to make any changes to the palette that will change the actual in-game colors. Do you have any suggestions that might help me?

Also, the [n00b] in the subject is only there because I feel like a n00b for asking this and not being able to figure this out...

For Nes you should dump that nes palette editor thing, because by it's self it doesn't change anything useful.. You need to find the Hex Codes for the palette and probably use a hex editor, as for a example doc that explains how to change a Nes Palette, I would look here downloaded it then extract it to a folder click on the html file open it in your browser then once the page loads click on Palette Modification. Best of luck..

While your post was somewhat hard to follow, I got the gist of it. Thanks for that! Let's hope it works!

yep, I'm not good at explaining things, But you can use VirtuaNes or fceultra instead of Nesticle to get the palette codes, for VirtuaNES just look under options and click on palette edit, the Bottom two rows of colors are the games palette changing it there only would change it for the emulator, you just need to write them down like the doc say's and search for them with a hex editor. Nesticle is more spot on then the other emulators if you can use it for the game.

I already did that for VirtuaNES (had to check out Doki Doki Panic!) and even saved a .pal file. Is there any way to permanently attach the file so I can spread the patch?

You could include the Pal file with the game patch IPS I guess, that doesn't really change the in game palette, and isn't really palette hacking, as you need to change the hex codes in the game outside of the emulator with a hex editor to make permanent changes to the game with out needing a separate palette file. Some people have release there hacks with a Palette file before.

The important thing is that you learn something from making a hack, I'm not trying to be a downer, but the only way to permanently change a games palette and eliminate the need of a extra Palette file is with a hex editor.

your welcome, I'm glad I could help.

illiterate.gif

Hehe that's hilarious.

But there isn't a way to make the .pal file part of the patch?

No, there's not. A .pal file is something that an emulator or some graphics editors can use. It's not in the same format as the ROMs palette.

Try ancient tutorial by Toma which is how I learned to hack palettes about 12 years ago.

Here are the modifications to Toma's tutorial that you'll need to make on a modern system:
  • Instead of Nesticle, use FCEUX.
  • Instead of clicking 'View' -> Palette, click 'Debug' -> 'PPU Viewer'

Everything else remains the same. The hex editing you'll need to do is extremely simple, so it won't even require a ROM hacking specific editor. Any free editor will do. (WindHex is the most popular hex editor for ROM hacking but it's pretty ugly so you might just want to do a Google search for free hex editor and find one you like.

Try following that tutorial and if you have any problems, then ask specific questions and detail exactly what you've done and I'll help you figure it out.

Actually, I think that'll help. Thanks! But if there are any difficulties, I'll ask here.

My English teacher once gave me two copies of a test; one to take and one to proofread since there were so many errors in it, and I kept pointing them out.

She also spelled tacos "tachoes"

Anywho, this reminds me... I should probably get back to working on this. Heh..

My English teacher once gave me two copies of a test; one to take and one to proofread since there were so many errors in it, and I kept pointing them out.

She also spelled tacos "tachoes"

Anywho, this reminds me... I should probably get back to working on this. Heh..

Tachoes? How's someone even DO that? :p

Back
Top Bottom