Mother fucking Vista & Micrsoft Word

FleshCage

Fucking A man. I swear. For some reason the computer keeps telling me to put in the 25 key code in order to run it.
I tried putting the code in that on the bottom of the laptop to no avail. Why you piece if shit?!

Some one please help me!?

I have looked all over the internet, and they want me to download so ridiculousness, but I don't feel so safe about it.
I tried some other things as well, but there don't seem to be the correct files. ugh

If you mean an activation code to verify your registration or purchase of the software i.e. Vista/MSO it will not be at the bottom of a laptop; you might have it if you installed Vista yourself from a CD.

Have you tried open office? I haven't, but I hear it's good. I usually use wordpad that comes on every computer since the vaccum tube was invented.

Open Office is just as good as Microsoft Office and quite superior in certain areas. Open Office Writer can open/save in MS Word format, so if you really need to deal with Word's proprietary format, it's still possible.

As for the activation code, the code on the bottom of a laptop would be for the operation system. That would have absolutely nothing to do with Office or any other software outside of the OS. My guess is that you're using the free trial of Word that often comes with Vista and you've exceeded the trial limit. If that's the case, you'll have to shell out $100 or so if you want to legally continue using Word.

OpenOffice.org is ok for casual use, but I would have to say that Microsoft Office is still the standard. The feature set between the two is really not comparable and OpenOffice.org only has the core applications.

I downloaded Jarte. So, I think we'll keep it at that. And I think the microsoft camw with the computer.

What features would make the typical user choose Microsoft Office over Open Office? The only one that stands out as obvious to me is that Open Office doesn't have an equivalent to Microsoft Publisher but I haven't noticed anything else that wouldn't be considered highly specialized.

And I doubt there are a whole lot of "professional" Word users, as opposed to "casual" users. I would doubt that even a majority of the people who use Word for business use more than the basic features. There may be some features within the spreadsheet or database applications that I'm not aware of but I really can't see anything offered by MS that justifies spending $100 or more.

Ungodly,

You're right that most users would be satisfied on OpenOffice.org. But regarding the features that are missing when comparing it to Microsoft Office, I can say that Calc doesn't come close to Excel 2007/2010. There are far more formatting options and Excel is capable of making more advanced charts and pivot tables. I'm sure there are far more, but I'm not what you would consider a power user that would actually notice.

The reason I choose Microsoft Office is mainly for the features of Excel. I also use Outlook on a constant basis with my Exchange account. In general though, I also prefer Office 2007/2010's interface to OpenOffice. The only real feature I've found that OOo has but Microsoft Office doesn't is PDF support, but that can be added with an optional download from the Office site. The only reason it wasn't included is because Adobe bitched that it would hurt Acrobat sales.

I can't speak of the newer "ribbon" interface for Office, I read an article about it prior to it's release but haven't actually used it myself.

To me, the definition of a power user would be this... If whatever you're working on will make enough money to justify the cost of Microsoft Office then by all means, buy it. But if the features that you would get with MS Office won't help you make money, don't bother. And I'd guess that for 99% of people, Open Office will easily satisfy their needs. Also, if security is an issue, look long and hard at Open Office.

The reason I originally switched to Open Office was this... The company for which I served as the I.T. Director had one of the top human resources managers quit in a very shady manner. He refused to disclose any manner, including the passwords he had attached to various crucial Word and Excel documents. After a bit of Googling, I was able to find a program that removed the MS Office passwords in a matter of seconds. (Note: It completely removed password security, it didn't crack the password.) During my research, I saw numerous people advocating for the superiority of Open Office's security. Now, security isn't going to be the primary issue for most users and it's possible that said security has been upgraded since MS Office 2005, but it's definitely something that should be kept in mind.

I read online that open office was slow, and that it let in back door viruses or something along those lines. This isn't my computer, so I didn't even want to risk it.

I read online that open office was slow, and that it let in back door viruses or something along those lines. This isn't my computer, so I didn't even want to risk it.

Just do a Google on how secure is Open Office. As for slow, I used to have it and it was slow but that was years ago and I installed EVERYTHING. I imagine if you had a decent amount of ram and a pretty modern CPU it would run fine since they have been optimizing the code for years. I'd wait now a bit since there are some hardcore Linux users here that also run MS and know a hell of a lot about Open Office and are very familiar with it.

As a side not I was just reading IBM a huge computer company who have strong security rules on company software have mandated just like a couple months ago the use of Open Office whenever possible.

Here's the press release http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/IBM-Throws-Out-Microsoft-Office

If they are doing this I think the software must be safe/secure to use and also faster.

If you just need word you can just install the Open Office version and whatever else you think you might need plus the base program itself and it shouldn't take up a lot of room or slow down the computer to much.

I can't speak of the newer "ribbon" interface for Office, I read an article about it prior to it's release but haven't actually used it myself.

The ribbon is actually one of the nicer features introduced in 2007. It basically solves the age-old problem of toolbar clutter by creating one consistent UI element that controls everything. It also dynamically changes depending on what you are working on. For example, if you select a picture, it will change with options relevant to image manipulation. It takes a little getting used to, but it is well worth it. It's also nice from a support perspective because now everyone has the same options, custom toolbar pretty much don't exist anymore.

The only gripe I have about the ribbon is the one they are introducing in Office 2010 for Outlook really doesn't make much sense. Hopefully as the beta progresses, they will improve it.

To me, the definition of a power user would be this... If whatever you're working on will make enough money to justify the cost of Microsoft Office then by all means, buy it. But if the features that you would get with MS Office won't help you make money, don't bother. And I'd guess that for 99% of people, Open Office will easily satisfy their needs. Also, if security is an issue, look long and hard at Open Office.

That I would fully agree with. I think if the majority of people tried OOo, they would be quite happy on it. Most people only buy Office at this point because they feel they need to and OOo has had little to no exposure in the mainstream.

OOo is a bit slow since it's based on Java, but on any modern computer the speed difference should be next to unnoticeable. In general, there are no security issues you need to worry about when running OOo. The only exception would be if you had someone send you a document that was crafted to be malicious and exploited a security hole by executing some sort of code. Unfortunately, that's an issue that every office suite suffers from including Microsoft Office. As long as you keep your office suite consistently up-to-date and run a decent antivirus application, this shouldn't be a concern.

For those not in the know, I'm planning on making a sex simulator. It'll be free, and open source, so you can modify the girls and situations to your heart's content.

I'm going to call it Open Orifice.

The only difference in that regard to MS Office is that the security holes in Open Office are visible for anyone to find and fix. A fix is usually available almost instantly for any popular open source software.

With Windows, there have been security holes remain open for years at a time because the people who knew about them (and exploited them) weren't making the knowledge public. In M$'s view (at least prior to their "New Security Initiative") if the knowledge wasn't public, it didn't need to be fixed. It didn't matter how many people were getting hacked as long as they didn't know that they could blame Microsoft for it.

In general, if you're worried about viruses and trojans, all you need to do is disable any NICs, modems, disk drives and USB ports connected to the computer and it should remain virus free. Outside of that, you need to install a Chair-to-Keyboard interface intelligent enough to avoid viruses. Failure to do one of the two will almost guarantee the introduction of a virus into the system in due time.

Back
Top Bottom