Language rule

Isildur

Just for clarification: I assume the spelling rule applies only to regular non-ironic use that makes an entire post a royal pain to read, not to brief tongue-in-cheek use of poor spelling. amirite?

e.g. jokes like:

Original post: Yesterday I had to cut down a branch that had partially snapped under the weight of some snow and freezing rain and was leaning precariously over my driveway.
Someone else's reply: So... does that make you a s1337 h4x0r?

*mentally files that one away for possible future use*

Also, presumably, the kind of common internet abbreviations that have long been used on ZMD are ok?

yes, the ones that piss me off are the fucktarded users that think it's ok to bash on the keyboard like a 2 year old.

Tongue-in-cheek posts that mock said users are perfectly fine.

Last edited:
yes, the ones that piss me off are the fucktarded users that think it's ok to bash on the keyboard like a 2 year old.

Tongue and cheek posts that mock said users are perfectly fine.

Posts like: I have a wii, what system do u have ? Some abbreviations aren't that bad.

However, if d whole post is written liek dis, u kno its painfull.

For me, if it's something such as u instead of you, or skool instead of school, I'm fine with it. As long as it sounds like the correct word. Of course, I have a 12-year-old sister, so I kinda have to put up with misspellings all the time from her.

I'm not a big fan of this rule. The community more or less polices itself on things like this. Adding a strict language rule and throwing out ban threats after a person's first post just makes us seem unwelcoming to new visitors. If a person intends to stay, a gentle nudge is usually all that's needed. If they don't, then banning them is pointless anyhow.

I'm not a big fan of this rule. The community more or less polices itself on things like this. Adding a strict language rule and throwing out ban threats after a person's first post just makes us seem unwelcoming to new visitors. If a person intends to stay, a gentle nudge is usually all that's needed. If they don't, then banning them is pointless anyhow.

Agreed

(Just typing pointless words in order to get at least 10 characters)

I could see it being useful in some cases, but it is definitely true that most people aren't probably doing it for the sake of being obnoxious.

Back
Top Bottom