Just voted for Obama

I'm for Obama, and I'm happy to say I agree 100% with Danoz and Colin Powell. :)

McCain is a good guy, but I really question his ability to make decisions under pressure. I mean, really, Palin?! Sure, I'd do her, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for her. She's like the NASCAR of politicians.

Yeah she's a Nascar Christian alright. :)

My voter apathy is unless I voteswap on the net, it doesn't matter in this, the most Red state in the union. McCain ticket will be voted in by 90% here in good ol' Utah.

Ah, yes. I should have realized this would have required some explaining. Another time.
My shift toward moderate/progressive politics happened gradually. I think McCain would probably make a decent president, but Sarah Palin's closed, archaic and Bush-like "everyman" mentality frightens me to no end. The Danoz who quoted Sean Hannity and pelted this room with riots ceases to exist entirely... I work for a non-profit global health center in Washington, D.C. that combats HIV/AIDs, Malaria, etc. -- I'm not nearly as concerned with domestic politics as I used to be-- and when I finally returned to partisan issues I found myself far less conservative.

OH MY GOD...who's next?

Quasius?

Nice to see you Danoz. We finally agree on something. I'm voting for Obama also.

I've seen alot i agree with and dont. I vote for who i believe in and who runs the best campaign. by best i mean alot of things. attacking your opponent and trying to make him seem like a terrorist instantly loses my respect, plus none stop transparent, hypocritical and just plain idiotic statements. Lying about a person being a terrorist is comparable to lying about a country having nuclear weapons (well on a not so grand scale). The things one does in a campaign reflects ones moral compass and the kind of things he will do to get to the ends he seeks. Now i always see both sides of the equation and they've both come down to attacking each other, but attacking ones agenda and policies they've backed is fair game. attacking ones race/nationality which has nothing to do with ability to lead and do whats right for his country, is unethical and immoral and stupid. I firmly believe that the only reason mccain has so much support is the shear number of redneck inbred morons in the country. Thats what i get if somebody says they'll vote for anybody but obama, no matter how they say it. ill vote for mccain or a third party came off as just that. i dont know what those parties are offering, but it doesnt matter, obamas black so ill just flip a coin and vote for one of the others. I'd vote for anybody of any color and gender if they make me believe they'll do what they can to support people like me and to keep this nation great. Back when hilary was vying for the democratic position a friend of mine said he wouldnt vote for her cuz shes a woman. that kinda pissed me off. its just the dumbest thing i ever heard him say and thats what elections come down to. stupid people voting for stupid reasons. black people voting for obama because hes black is just as stupid as not voting for him for the same reason. every racist is quick to scream "Colin Powel is only backing obama cuz he's black'" but refuse to admit why obama's not enjoying a landslide victory. eh i cant really think anymore.

More of a babbling rant than an intelligible post like some i've seen. well im tired and irritated.

What in the holy hell has happened? Danoz has gone insane, and D is showing logic.

eek.gif
whoa.gif
wtf.gif

I'm either in hell or the Twilight Zone.

I'm also voting for Obama.

I'm just so far above you all that, more often than not, you fail to grasp my logic. I chose the bubblegum example to make this post more accessible.

Congratulations on catching it this time. ;)

Here Israeli analyst provides a detailed comparison of Obama to Michael Jackson: http://samsonblinded.org/blog/michael-jackson-for-president.htm

It's interesting how racism in this country has changed over the years. I think a lot of people think they're only being bigoted if they use the "n" word, but depicting obama in arab headgear or rearranging his name to "Hussein Obama" are also racist and offensive to many people. These are the politics of fear -- trying to associate Barack Obama with things that scare ordinary americans -- and unfortunately we saw a lot of it leading up to the election.

Fortunately, your average American is a lot smarter than the author of this article gives them credit for and I don't think fear-mongering had a big impact on the outcome of the election. However, it still has the potential to radicalize the far right and, ironically, could lead to domestic terrorism. I hope I'm wrong, but if I were Obama, I wouldn't go anywhere without security.

I'm for Obama, and I'm happy to say I agree 100% with Danoz and Colin Powell. :)

McCain is a good guy, but I really question his ability to make decisions under pressure. I mean, really, Palin?! Sure, I'd do her, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for her. She's like the NASCAR of politicians.

The only differences being that she knows only how to turn to the right, and that she stores her airbag intracranially. ;)

Seriously, however...
Before the election I had some respect for McCain, but stuff like rashly picking Palin made me seriously question his ability to make responsible decisions, and some of the uglier ads by the McCain campaign wore away at my opinion of him regarding his integrity. (Seriously-- an ad claiming that Obama is some sort pervert who promoted "legislation to teach comprehensive sex education to kindergarteners", when in fact it was a measure to help children learn to avoid pedophiles? That's pretty low campaigning.) That's in addition to things like McCain making friends with Falwell, whom he had previously (and correctly) labeled as an "agent of intolerance". It become more and more clear that in the quest to finally win this time around, McCain had abandoned any free-thinking "maverick" ways of old in favor of pandering to "his base".

Plus, the prospect of a overwhelming conservative majority on the Supreme Court worried me. At least right now they're restrained a bit by the fact that Kennedy, while conservative-leaning overall, sometimes breaks away. Had McCain won, and additional conservative/reactionary justices replaced a couple of out-going liberal judges, as would have been likely, there would have been nothing to keep the court in any sort of balance.

All in all, I'm glad things turned out as they did. That's not to say I have no reservations about Obama (I actually voted for Hillary in the primary), but by the end of the general campaign I think Obama showed himself to be significantly more fit for the office than McCain.

Last edited:
Welcome back.

All in all, I'm glad things turned out as they did. That's not to say I have no reservations about Obama (I actually voted for Hillary in the primary), but by the end of the general campaign I think Obama showed himself to be significantly more fit for the office than McCain.

I agree, though it is a shame that someone with McCain's experience and record turned out to be such a clumsy presidential candidate. I suppose the current state of the Republican party is as much to blame as McCain himself, but a truly great leader should be able to stand up to the extreme wing of his party, no matter how vocal.

Back
Top Bottom