How do you guys deal with user signatures/avatars?

S

symbolic X

There are some forums out there that want to limit the dimensions and file sizes of each avatar and signature image and it looks pretty common. I never seen any rules here that would detail such limitation. It's only a big deal if your content is beyond bandwidth-intensive. That, and/or how big the image can be.

I don't know about you, but if there's an option to turn them all off, then I select it.

They just take up room in the topic and distract you from the actual replies.

The avatar size limit used to be 65x75 pixels.
But it seems like larger avatars work now too.

As for the signatures, I don't use one. But keep it reasonable.
The one you use right now is just fine.

According to the "edit avatar" page,
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 120 by 120 pixels or 39.1 KB (whichever is smaller).
As for signatures,
The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 9.8 KB
I have not tested the forum software's ability to enforce those limits, however.

According to the "edit avatar" page,

As for signatures,

I have not tested the forum software's ability to enforce those limits, however.

The forum would not let me submit a signature with a size of 9.8KB...it had to be 9.7KB. I haven't tested avatars, but I'm guessing they're the same way.

Avatars will just be resized and converted to JFIF data. So if the avatar is a GIF file with a transparent canvas it turns to white and is resized down to a JPG file.

That is unless a super moderator uses the moderator control panel to change avatars. So yeah...the post elements feature I mentioned has come in use for those ocassions. :p Back on another forum I blurted out secrets like that; now the place is dead because of egocentric love philosophers who hate everything.

Nah people fought a lot, but that was one of the results of me spitting out finds like those is just messing with people. No one left because of that.

Big reason why it's down is because anyone could request to be a moderator. A couple or three guys in larger positions hadn't been online before and thought an emulation site would be a nice place for a social crowd. Eventually there were six super moderators including myself.

No one wanted to be a moderator at first, but they liked the site. Eventually a few tried to replace the admin's responsibilities. One time this complete spam thread named "Random Info!", man every five seconds they were moderating the thread title because of this new Renaissance idea of a new name. Super moderators who didn't moderate that particular forum are crying and screaming in pain online at the thought of it not being left where it's at after they changed it. (kinda literally in the funny responses imaginable)

It goes on but you didn't ask really.

I'm more familiar with phpBB than vBulletin - so I really don't feel like being a moderator/administrator here anyway. Most people don't know exactly how they function and what responsibilities would ride on the shoulders of one. Only those that are smart, advanced, and careful, can live to handle it all.

The guy lives with his parents and didn't take a keyboarding class and still can't spell. When the bastard got temporarily revoked of moderator status for skipping an admin instruction he sets his status on MSN to Away with the subtitle, "Leave me alone...I can't do anything right...." or something like that. Being a moderator just means someone likes you in some sense...not that you're smart. (Every time I read that word I get this granny rolling over jiggling and laughing stuck in my head. "If I can't see it...it's not there!! *dies laughing*)

In any case that one instance of an artificial emulation site has just chatty shit going on, so it's one of those places you see formed by people who practically live on the Internet. Don't get me wrong; they all have girls. But they all left the site because they outsmarted their boys.

Here's a typical example of intellectual analysis:
http://www.emulysianfields.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821
You ever wonder why these guys all have the "interwebz"?

I can't even get to the words. All I see are animated gifs and turquoise letters.
I didn't know that kind of forum existed anymore. I thought people like those all moved on to my-space years ago. It allows much more freedom in locking up browsers with layers and layers of uncoordinated, shiny, jiggly trinkets.

I came across that site. Is that Ryden that we're talking about?

I would guess more people less about emulation and myspace than just myspace, but that is one of the more unusual sites by the cause.

Not necessarily; he's just one of the major figures behind that site still existing. When I talked about the six super moderators and the site/forums being closed (temporarily) that was a separate issue, but that site I just linked to is a "rebellion" started mainly by a counterpart of myself. This isn't really important, but I'll go on.

In the end it's my fault both existed; it's my fault the Ryden guy became a moderator for the first time and similarly my fault for a lot of other effects of that site's creation. Since they decided to move on to social merit and good attitudes only and abandon the cause of emulation that got that shitty site started in the first place I was backstabbed and got myself banned rather nicely. It was fun torturing them, but I can't really talk more about them since there's so much. Almost every individual on those forums is their own corner of disposition and their own definition of confined arrogance and intoxicated self-deception.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but not all animated signatures or avatars are bad.
I have personally used this avatar before somewhere, and I don't think it is too distracting.
adb7b649.gif

Although what I saw behind that link was just too awful.

Just my opinion, but not all animated signatures or avatars are bad.
I have personally used this avatar before somewhere, and I don't think it is too distracting.
adb7b649.gif

Although what I saw behind that link was just too awful.

No no no, that one isn't annoying at all. It just that some people abuse Flash too much.

IMHO some are fine. It's the really distracting insane ones that aren't (for example, I saw on this one forum a guy who had a sig and an avatar that were mostly flashing colors...it was blinding. I couldn't stand it...I don't know why they let him have that, surely I wasn't the only that couldn't stand it).

Back
Top Bottom