Hooking up TV to PC

Lillymon

I'm thinking of just bypassing all this with my own solution. Ingredients required:

Lengthy DVI-to-HDMI or DVI-to-VGA cable (shouldn't be difficult to find)
Some way to hook up my sound card to my TV without any noticeable quality loss (may be more difficult)
A good emulator for whatever I want to play, that works well on Linux
BitTorrent
A PC gamepad that won't break in 5 seconds (never seen one yet)

Solve all of these, and I can just use my Core 2 Duo to emulate whatever the hell I want, and play it on my plasma screen. Should work out cheaper than the Virtual Console or similar in the long run. Maybe I should make a Tech Talk topic about my exact plan.

(Admin's note: I moved your post, but it seems that it did quite a lovely time warp and now is the earliest post. LOL timezones?)

This is something I've considered for a while, but having a powerful PC and a decent 37" plasma screen makes it even more tempting. Here's what I've got, and what I want to do.

PC side

GeForce 8800GT, with two DVI sockets, using the Nvidia binary driver.
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, currently working through OSSv4.
Kubuntu Linux 8.04, I'm currently torn between Kubuntu 9.04 or Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 as my upgrade path.

TV side

Panasonic TH-37PX80B
Two SCART sockets (both used)
One set of component connectors (used)
One set of composite/S-Video connectors using shared audio inputs (all unused)
Three HDMI sockets (one used)
VGA socket (unused)

What I want to do

I really want some way to get both audio and video through my TV. The composite and S-Video connectors are not ideal as they're on the front on the TV, so anything connected to them would get in the way of the centre speaker of my home cinema system. The home cinema system itself is a possibility though, as it has auxiliary inputs that use the same audio connectors as composite or component. Curiously, I've also noticed the subwoofer on my speakers is connected to the other two speakers by exactly the same sort of cables. Connecting that to my TV or home cinema system may work, though I'd still get bass through my PC's subwoofer.

The main problem I can see is sound. HDMI should be good for the video, since my PC monitor is using the same type of cable (DVI on the video card end, HDMI on the monitor end), but I'm not sure what do with the sound. I'd probably have to split the audio output at some point, but I'm not sure how to do that without killing the audio quality (I've gained a new found love of good quality audio) or how to couple it with the video on the other end.

As an aside, I could also do with a good gamepad, as playing console games on the keyboard is never ideal. All of the ones I've seen so far, be they cheap or expensive, die within a few weeks or months of regular usage. I'd prefer something corded (so I don't have to mess around with batteries), with a relatively lengthy cord, that uses USB (I have all of one USB port remaining), and that's tough enough to withstand years of gaming. I'm willing to spend some good money on this, but only if it won't fall apart on me.

You can probably tell I'm not experienced with this, and I've never tried this before. It's always an idea that's fascinated me though, and I can see it being a lot of fun.

You're planning on getting a DVI to HDMI convertor I take it? I'm not sure if there is a way to get the audio to go through the HDMI as well (I was looking out of curiosity but I don't see anything). Normally what I do is I use the headphone jack on the front of my computer's casing. I have a cord that has the mini-jack you'd find on a headphone but terminates on the other end with left and right RCA jacks, which I then plug into my stereo system.

I doubt it would support 5.1 or anything, but it works just fine if you don't mind just stereo. Also, you could check your computer and see if it has optical out. If it does and your home theatre setup has a hook up for this, then great...that's probably the best quality you could hope for.

You're planning on getting a DVI to HDMI convertor I take it?
Well, they are electrically compatible, so it only requires a cable with the right plugs on each end.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get the audio to go through the HDMI as well (I was looking out of curiosity but I don't see anything).
Yeah, that would really be ideal, as HDMI can carry audio as well. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy though.

Normally what I do is I use the headphone jack on the front of my computer's casing. I have a cord that has the mini-jack you'd find on a headphone but terminates on the other end with left and right RCA jacks, which I then plug into my stereo system.
I do have a headphone jack on the front of my PC, though I've not confirmed that it even does anything. If it's hooked up to the integrated sound card, then it won't as all sound comes from the X-Fi. The X-Fi itself has four sockets. One is for microphone input, the others are simply labelled '1', '2', and '3' (the speakers are on 1). All look exactly the same, apart from different colours.

It'd also be a bit awkward, as my PC is in its own alcove in my desk, behind a door. Using anything on the front would either require leaving the door open (meaning extra noise, which I do not like) or twisting the cable back on itself, so it comes out of the back. I'd really hope the X-Fi has an additional output, so I don't have to do anything like that.

I doubt it would support 5.1 or anything, but it works just fine if you don't mind just stereo.
Stereo will be just fine. Only my DVDs have 5.1 audio, and my home cinema system handles them just fine since I broke the region lock on it.

Also, you could check your computer and see if it has optical out. If it does and your home theatre setup has a hook up for this, then great...that's probably the best quality you could hope for.
The home cinema system has a handily labelled 'OPTICAL IN' socket, but my PC has nothing that looks even remotely similar.

Hi.
I´m not into PC-Audio-TV- onnection issues but have an idea about your controller question. I use this little thing for years now. It works with any pad-supporting emulator and PC games so far. Of course you need one or two PSX/PS2 controllers.

http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc013/pc013-1.htm

regards, schmocke
I've long considered these, but the "Need to install driver" and "Compatible with Win 98, Win98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 or Win XP, and Direct-X 7.0a or above" put me off. I really don't want to buy this, then end up trying to install new drivers or end up fighting with ndiswrapper for the rest of time. I really want to know ahead of time that I can actually use this with no problems. Aside from that, I already have a spare DualShock2 and absolutely love the design of it. As long as this has a half-decent lead itself, then there should at least be no physical problems with it.

If you´re using it with WinXP or above, you don´t have to install its drivers. Driver is only needed if you want rumble-support.

If you´re using it with WinXP or above, you don´t have to install its drivers. Driver is only needed if you want rumble-support.

PC side

GeForce 8800GT, with two DVI sockets, using the Nvidia binary driver.
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer, currently working through OSSv4.
Kubuntu Linux 8.04, I'm currently torn between Kubuntu 9.04 or Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 as my upgrade path.
Read that last part again for me.

It's fine if I only lose rumble support though, I'll mostly be playing emulated games that never had anything like that.

I also tested the sockets labelled '2' and '3' on my X-Fi, and found neither outputting any sound. I'm not even sure what they really do.

Oh, excuse me. I assumed that you´re using that Linux-system not for gaming/emulation purposes. My fault.

I've set up several console-oriented PCs before...

DVI male to HDMI male and DVI male to Component male are easy to find, and work fine (Have my GeForce GTX 260 connected to my LCD monitor via the HDMI type).

HDMI does support sound, but the nVidia driver for the GTX series doesn't do it properly for some reason. I hear that the 9000 and 8000 series work ok, though.

If you can't get the sound working via HDMI, you'll need RCA/Composite cables. If you're happy with two channel stereo, a "Split Y" cable is what you want (1/8" male to 2 RCA males). This would simply be plugged into the headphone/speaker jack.

If you have multichannel inputs, simple audio cables and the aforementioned Y-Splitter should allow you to connect each output to the corresponding female port on the TV itself. Remember that you will need to make sure the volumes for the channels are unmuted via ALSA Mixer or whatever OSS4 uses (Seem to recall you saying you used it).

Oh, and regarding controllers, I've used PSX and PS2 Dual Shocks for years. I use a dual port adapter (I can verify this one works under Linux, except for force feedback), which only requires a single USB port.

Last edited:
I have a regular CRT tv without the nice PC compatible inputs. I went and bought a video card with TV out and hooked my tv to the computer using it.

It may not be great for surfing the net or playing games due to the low resolution, but it is great for watching movies and tv shows.

HDMI does support sound, but the nVidia driver for the GTX series doesn't do it properly for some reason. I hear that the 9000 and 8000 series work ok, though.
Well mine is an 8800GT, so maybe there is hope here. I'll have to figure this one out really.

If you can't get the sound working via HDMI, you'll need RCA/Composite cables. If you're happy with two channel stereo, a "Split Y" cable is what you want (1/8" male to 2 RCA males). This would simply be plugged into the headphone/speaker jack.
I can only see one working output from my X-Fi though, so this would require some cable swapping, unless I can figure out another solution. I really need a better understanding of what my hardware can do.

Oh, and regarding controllers, I've used PSX and PS2 Dual Shocks for years. I use a dual port adapter (I can verify this one works under Linux, except for force feedback), which only requires a single USB port.
I'm definitely buying this. I'm tired of using my crappy keyboard to play games with, and knowing this will work with Linux makes it perfect. Even if I never end up making my TV work with my PC, at I'll get something out of this topic.

I'm definitely buying this. I'm tired of using my crappy keyboard to play games with, and knowing this will work with Linux makes it perfect. Even if I never end up making my TV work with my PC, at I'll get something out of this topic.

That is what I use a lot too actually. Either that or my Wiimote/Classic Controller.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15853&nav=1

I assume it's this Soundcard. So here is the spec. The connections are used for multiple functions so you can buy some cables to get all the signals you need.

Regarding the soundsetup, I prefer connecting my TV to my HiFi center (DENON).
Perhaps this is an idea for you, too.

PC => TV
TV => HiFi

or

PC => TV (video signal only)
PC => Hifi (sound)

My current setup:

PS2 / other console => TV (frontside)
TV => Hifi
Sat => TV
DVD recorder => TV
PC => Hifi
PC => TV (backside)

Sometimes I change connections to have a different setup.

But very important for all kinds of signals: Use shielded cables and if possible golden connectors.

Last edited:
...and if possible golden connectors.

Yeah, only if the jack is gold plated too. Gold + Tin will eventually cause corrosion of the tin component. Electrical issues with dissimilar metals and all that.

Back
Top Bottom