Hi! Would anyone be willing to be interviewed about digital preservation?

heiberg

Hello! My name is Cherie Heiberg, and I’m a Masters student at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. I’m writing my Masters paper on emulators. Specifically, I’m writing about how online creators and users of emulators preserve video games. I’ll be comparing the work that online creators do to the work of professionals. The goal is to start building a professional model that can be used to preserve video games using emulators. A lot of the work will involve me observing what goes on in online communities that make emulators or preserve emulated games. I’ll be looking at what kind of games get preserved, what kind of information/metadata gets attached to these games, how they’re distributed online, and how people get access to them. The most important part of the project, though, will be talking to the people who actually create emulators and preserve games.

That’s where you come in! I’m looking for people who would be willing to be interviewed about their process of creating ROMs and/or emulators, about the creation of disk images, or the preservation of original distributions of digital games. If you are over 18, I really want to talk to you! I won’t be collecting any information that could identify you, like your real name or your home city or your birthdate. You don’t even have to use your forum handle; you can pick out a completely new pseudonym and that’s good enough for me. I want to know why you do what you do and how you do it. If you’re interested, let me know by emailing me at heiberg@email.unc.edu or responding to this post with your chat handle and your preferred chat client, and we can set up an interview by email or by a chat client of your choice.

I use skype, IRC, and gchat but I can set up an account for anything you like if you're interested.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

-Cherie Heiberg
UNC SILS 2013

You would probably find much more knowledgeable people on this matter by checking the forum over at Lost Levels. There are several people who are actively involved in dumping prototype/beta cartridges into ROM form and several of them can probably give you detailed information on the matters at hand.

Thank you InVerse! I will definitely go to Lost Levels and ask around.

However, if anyone here is willing to be interviewed, please let me know! I'm especially interested in people who develop hardware emulators. :)

Back
Top Bottom