Help with gas mileage

Rattlehead

I have a '95 Ford Explorer that gets bullshitty gas mileage, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the mileage suck less. Oh, it's a V6 engine. If any more details are needed, feel free to ask.

only fill up to half tank (less weight)
remove uneeded seats
easy on the acceleration and try to decelerate instead of hitting the brakes.
replace the spark plugs, clean the fuel injecters.

I think that's some off the top of my head, and I'm not an expert on cars. I'm certain someone more experienced could give more insight

I have a '95 Ford Explorer that gets bullshitty gas mileage, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the mileage suck less. Oh, it's a V6 engine. If any more details are needed, feel free to ask.

Standard or automatic ?

- Don't go too fast

- Use the correct set of gears (If you can use, say, the 5th to go 90 km/h instead of the 4rd, do hit. It's easier on the motor.)

- Don't start too fast

- Don't brake too fast.

- Check the spark plugs now and then

- Use the correct oil (You should use oil that's a little more thick in Winter)

- Fill the gas tank only up to the half (I don't suggest doing that though, because it can create condensation in the gas tank, and add water to the gas.)

Last edited:
Standard or automatic ?

- Don't go too fast

- Use the correct set of gears (If you can use, say, the 5th to go 90 km/h instead of the 4rd, do hit. It's easier on the motor.)

- Don't start too fast

- Don't brake too fast.

- Check the spark plugs now and then

- Use the correct oil (You should use oil that's a little more thick in Winter)

- Fill the gas tank only up to the half (I don't suggest doing that though, because it can create condensation in the gas tank, and add water to the gas.)

My transmission is automatic. In the area where I live (Northwest Arkansas), the average speed is about 50 MPH and my engine (if I'm going said speed limit) usually runs around 1,000-2,000 on the tachometer. I tend to try to not to push it past 2,000 RPM after the gears have shifted about 2 times. That gets me going at about 50 MPH, and I do so because in 3rd gear (or whatever gear it's in at that point) it shifts gears at 45 MPH, and on a lot of streets the speed limit is 50, so it repeatedly shifts up and down rapidly. I'm guessing that it shifting up and down like that isn't too good for my transmission or gas mileage.

My transmission is automatic. In the area where I live (Northwest Arkansas), the average speed is about 50 MPH and my engine (if I'm going said speed limit) usually runs around 1,000-2,000 on the tachometer. I tend to try to not to push it past 2,000 RPM after the gears have shifted about 2 times. That gets me going at about 50 MPH, and I do so because in 3rd gear (or whatever gear it's in at that point) it shifts gears at 45 MPH, and on a lot of streets the speed limit is 50, so it repeatedly shifts up and down rapidly. I'm guessing that it shifting up and down like that isn't too good for my transmission or gas mileage.

well, you could always go 60 ;p

well, you could always go 60 ;p

I could, but we have a lot of cops that patrol around this area and about 85% of those cops are douchebags. That, and I'm a 17-year-old male driver, which means if I don't get lucky and have one of the 15% non-douchebag cops pull me over for speeding, I'm royally screwed, so I have to be really careful. Oh, and my parents are 85% douchebags as well.

Everyone else got all the easy tips :p But I'll throw in proper tire inflation.

This one isn't going to help you, BUT in the interest of sharing information...

I built an HHO generator. Google it. They save you between 30%-50% on fuel.

Now, before I hear dozens of replies from well educated people on the subject telling me how it can't work, and explaining why, I issue the challenge to do what I did, research it out, unbiased, not trying to prove it one way or another. You may be surprised.

Next, build one. I got a poor set of designs from http://www.mindstrain.com/.

Yeah, the guy is a little out there. Yes, some of his reasoning is a flawed. (HHOO?) Also I didn't stay with his design as my person liters-per-minute didn't pan out. But the idea is there. It will show you how easy it to build one of these. And even from his stock design, you will get results.

In short, it does work. I tired it.

I'm eager to get an EGT gauge on my car before doing a dial in. I do not support the guess work methods currently in use by most doing this, nor do I approve most of the "kits" being sold by get rich quick types.

Bottom line, if you're the engineering type (ie not a douchebag moron) then try it. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/index.php

P.S. For the love of humanity don't blow up your car or yourself and get these things banned by law. They work, and for those of us who enjoying the benefits, they are a Godsend.

Last edited:
Everyone else got all the easy tips :p But I'll throw in proper tire inflation.

This one isn't going to help you, BUT in the interest of sharing information...

I built an HHO generator. Google it. They save you between 30%-50% on fuel.

Now, before I hear dozens of replies from well educated people on the subject telling me how it can't work, and explaining why, I issue the challenge to do what I did, research it out, unbiased, not trying to prove it one way or another. You may be surprised.

Next, build one. I got a poor set of designs from http://www.mindstrain.com/.

Yeah, the guy is a little out there. Yes, some of his reasoning is a flawed. (HHOO?) Also I didn't stay with his design as my person liters-per-minute didn't pan out. But the idea is there. It will show you how easy it to build one of these. And even from his stock design, you will get results.

In short, it does work. I tired it.

I'm eager to get an EGT gauge on my car before doing a dial in. I do not support the guess work methods currently in use by most doing this, nor do I approve most of the "kits" being sold by get rich quick types.

Bottom line, if you're the engineering type (ie not a douchebag moron) then try it. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/index.php

P.S. For the love of humanity don't blow up your car or yourself and get these things banned by law. They work, and for those of us who enjoying the benefits, they are a Godsend.

You tired it? Really? Eh, I'm just fuckin' around. I'll try it as soon as I have money, which is pretty much required to buy anything. On a related note...I'm sad now. No money...*sigh*:(

Try coasting.

Impossible where I live. I've just recently noticed that I consume the most gas when I'm going to school in the morning. Of course, the road that I use is usually packed with cars. Traffic's sometimes so bad that it'll take me 45 minutes to get to my school, which I live not even 10 minutes from (if you're going the speed limit-- 40 to 50 MPH). So, yeah...

Unfortunately, you're driving a slightly aerodynamic brick. Most explorers get horrendous gas mileage. Here's what you *CAN* do to help. Drive up to 55 mph on said 50 mph road, this will get you into 4th gear and idle down quite nicely, then just back off on the accelerator and it should stay in 4th gear and lock the TC (Torque Convertor), You can also look up a TCC Manual lock switch. This can be slightly difficult to install and use properly. It will help quite a bit. If you have a stand alone coil and distributor, you can try to install a hotter sparking coil. It may help. One more thought before I head out, check your fuel filter and replace as necessary. See if one of your local area oil change shops do whats called a Fuel System Cleaner. That helps a ton, and often gains 10 to 15% gas mileage.

I go as high as 55 mph on the highway and 75 on the interstate when I go to and from work. I do use cruise control to take the guesswork out of accelerating. I don't use the A/C unless I defrost the windshield or if I need it. After a few miles, I conserved a little bit of fuel. I wish my car (2000 Dodge Stratus) would support MMT/octane boosters! But obviously, it doesn't seem to.

The Stratus is my second car. The one I had before, a '99 Isuzu Amigo - I lost control and flipped that vehicle twice. I wasn't hurt/killed despite that it was totaled out, and that I was able to get out through the sunroof, but I was shocked.

Over the years, (Daimler/)Chrysler optimized the MPG for almost every sedan including the Stratus that rolled off their factory belts. Mine's probably at least 30 on the highway. The reason I placed Daimler in parenthesis was that I heard it recently separated with Chrysler and decided to take business somewhere else.

I'm saving money for a Corolla, an Echo, Yaris or a Versa. I'd like a Prius if I had the money, but you have to change the batteries after 8-10 years, and this isn't cheap.
Always loved Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda.

Unfortunately, you're driving a slightly aerodynamic brick. Most explorers get horrendous gas mileage. Here's what you *CAN* do to help. Drive up to 55 mph on said 50 mph road, this will get you into 4th gear and idle down quite nicely, then just back off on the accelerator and it should stay in 4th gear and lock the TC (Torque Convertor), You can also look up a TCC Manual lock switch. This can be slightly difficult to install and use properly. It will help quite a bit. If you have a stand alone coil and distributor, you can try to install a hotter sparking coil. It may help. One more thought before I head out, check your fuel filter and replace as necessary. See if one of your local area oil change shops do whats called a Fuel System Cleaner. That helps a ton, and often gains 10 to 15% gas mileage.

Thanks. Yeah, I agree about it being ass-tastic aerodynamically. Not too sure about the coil and distributor...I'll maybe have my grandpa (mechanically gifted, unlike me) to have a look into it and the TCC manual lock switch. I need to get an oil change anyway, seeing as how I'm 1000 miles over, so I'll have them look at the fuel filter as well. Luckily, said grandpa is friends with the guys at one of the local mechanic shops, so they'll probably be cool with it.

I go as high as 55 mph on the highway and 75 on the interstate when I go to and from work. I do use cruise control to take the guesswork out of accelerating. I don't use the A/C unless I defrost the windshield or if I need it. After a few miles, I conserved a little bit of fuel. I wish my car (2000 Dodge Stratus) would support MMT/octane boosters! But obviously, it doesn't seem to.

Same here, with the A/C. The only times that I ever use it are in the mornings recently, as it's been unusually cool, thus fogging up my windshield, and after school, because it feels like it's 150 degrees inside...and I like to listen to my music loud, so I keep the windows rolled up to keep people from bitching about it, and pissing me off.

And another way I would use the A/C is by testing the heat and cool elements periodically to make sure they work. There could be times when freon could be gone, times when the blower (sending air through the vents) could act odd or be done for or even blow its ATC-30 fuse (like the way mine sometimes does), or even times when it blows without heat. For that, I get a few mechanics to survey this component and find out how much they could charge me for maintenance. 2 more cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom