Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Hard: Frustratingly control breakingly hard

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Moderate: Right mix of challenge and frustration. Just right

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Easy: Boring casual gamers zone

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Urgh...I hate ice block puzzles. I almost threw my Wiimote at the TV like you hear of those people doing because of the ones in Twilight Princess.

You serious about that? I though those were easy. I finished them in a few minutes no problem. They didn't even seem to get any harder. They certainly weren't the coloured block puzzles in OoSeasons/Age, let alone any of the puzzles in Lufia 2 type hard. Zelda has had harder puzzles than those Ice Block ones.

As for Etrian Odyssey except for final post game boss it isn't impossibly hard. It's for easier if you know what your doing. A Troubadour with Healing & Relaxing, a Dark Hunter with Drain, and throw in a Medic, you don't even need to touch Immunize intill post game content. Never mind a Hexer with HP Up & Revenge paired with a Troubadour and Stamina can be surprising effective. I did everything different when I played through it and still succeeded without my Medic and Protector knowing the game braking power skills Immunize and Anti/

Last edited:
The Super Mario Bros. Hell rom hack. That was pretty nasty. Myst... just because I don't get games like that. Getting 100% of everything in Star Ocean: Until the End of Time (maybe more time consuming than hard... some of it was pretty challenging though)

I don't mind hard games, although I don't like sadistically punishing games like the Wizardry series. Usually my problems with games are more along the lines of bad cameras, first person dungeon crawlers with no auto-map (a pox on Wizardry), or games that are needlessly complicated that turn me into an insane Red Mage (Phantom Brave, some other NIS titles), and adventure games, because you always have to use some ridiculous item at a ridiculous situation. Actually, games like Contra, Gradius, Ninja Gaiden I invested weeks and months into, even though I could only beat a few levels.
I'm going to add Brahma Force [PS1] to the list.

Very obscure, but maybe someone besides me will have tried it/own it.

I played it. I think I rented it one time. I don't remember it being significantly harder than other FP Mech games, though. Actually, I seem to remember Armored Core as being tougher, but maybe I'm wrong.

Contra on the DS as you needed to have a second pair of eyes for the other screen. While we are on about Contra the Megadrive version was way too hard i thought.

SWIV was a hard game on the Amiga too unless you put the cheat in.

They certainly weren't the coloured block puzzles in OoSeasons/Age, let alone any of the puzzles in Lufia 2 type hard. Zelda has had harder puzzles than those Ice Block ones.

I missed this before, but actually, you're right. That's still about the only spot in that game where I got stuck for a significant amount of time though (well, maybe a spot or two in the Temple of Time as well).

I missed this before, but actually, you're right. That's still about the only spot in that game where I got stuck for a significant amount of time though (well, maybe a spot or two in the Temple of Time as well).

Yes, the Temple of Time was hard. But there is one game I only won after several years: Maniac Mansion! Without FAQ and Workthrough it was impossible for me. I started my game in 1996 and finished it late 2004.
In general I always beat a game as soon as I get my hands on it. Hehe. But it is really time consuming. When I realized that I already have finished over 300 titles on all kinds of systems I had a break of 2-3 years. Then I switched to some more strategic series where I could spend a few hours and continue another day or week.
The latest one was "Hearts of Iron 2 - Doomsday Armageddon". It was inspiring for me to look for similiar older games. I have found Genghis Khan and though it is really old it's competitive and demanding. I never imagined so much micromanagement in an old school game is possible. Okay there are PC games like "Patrizier" or "Hanse". I should also mention "Romance of the three kingdoms". But the last one was too hard for me, because I don't understand Japanese.

The game I played most was Final Fantasy 3 - US (SNES). Must have been around 23-28 times. I find the character of Gau unfair. He has to learn from enemys and no attack is really worth the effort. Same thing for Strago. It's impossible to learn all attacks. Ok, not impossible but it takes just too long.

I find the character of Gau unfair. He has to learn from enemys and no attack is really worth the effort. Same thing for Strago. It's impossible to learn all attacks. Ok, not impossible but it takes just too long.

Step Mine. That's all I'll say.

WOW. I still can't beat Etrain Oddesy. I haven't played much, but i got wooped so bad I almost cried after confronting a mini boss on level 2 at level 12... yeah it was that bad.

most games these days are way too easy. I beat the first 10 levels of crisis core and 20 side quests in under 12 hours. and that was with continues game play.

Holy Diver on the nentindo entertainment system, is hands down the hardest game I have ever played. it puts contra to shame in my opinion. but then again, no console game I know of is harder then I wanna be the guy.

A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism. I would have loved to use the "multiple hits with elec beam against [whatever the yellow blob monster is called]" technique I used to see so much ado made of, but I couldn't even get through the level that fiend was in.

No, no, actually, I may have reached it one time, but was promptly destroyed by the beast's particles, long before I had an opportunity to fire upon them.

You can use that technique on Dr Wiley at the end also >:}

oh, and someone i play an online game with told me to post this, I have never played it myself, but I want to ( and I thought megaman, and bucky o hare were seizure games o_O) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmevFkY_dMc

by the way, I'm not sure if I'm not supposed to post links or anything here, kinda new, if so sorry about that

Last edited:
Since the topic is "hardest game you've ever played" and not "hardest game ever made", I'll forgive everyone for failing to mention Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde for NES. In fact, I'll commend everyone for never having played the game and strongly suggest that you never even consider doing so.

Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde is the hardest game ever made. I played through it several years ago in the process of writing an article about the game. Using the Game Genie code that made me invincible, it still took several hours to play through the game. In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.

I'm actually in the process now of putting together a documentary about the game. As far as I've been able to determine, it was designed by a Saudi Arabian company. My hope is to bring this company up on charges of terrorism. Failing this, I would at least like to punch one of the programmers in the face.

Even worse, the game has really nice graphics for an NES game. If you've played Just Breed, I would compare the two graphically. As far as play control, however, there's nothing in Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde that couldn't have been done on the Atari 2600, except I've never played a 2600 game with that shitty of play control. (And, on a random note, I bought two copies of E.T. for the 2600 yesterday for $2/each. I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the extra copy. Shooting seems a bit passe, I was contemplating gluing it to a dildo and selling it on eBay.)

But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.

As for Street Fighter 2010... I don't think that game was so much hard as it was crappy. I don't think I ever made it past the 3rd fight, but mostly because the play control was utter shit. Also, did anybody actually get this game NOT thinking it was like Street Fighter 2?

But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.
Argh...I forgot about that game. I wonder why. lol This just made me think of Athena on the NES. That game is stupidly hard at times (like the boss of the first level where it's basically impossible to beat him unless you have a decent ranged weapon), though as terrible as it is I still have some kind of sick love of that game (Athena that is...not Dr Jekyll. No way.).

In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.

Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? :erm: What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?

Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? :erm: What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?

When an enemy touches you, you're pushed back slightly. In later levels, there are a lot of enemies. And Donkey Kong style barrels. And you have a weapon, but using it causes YOU to take damage but doesn't harm the enemies at all. And the American version of the game removed the only way to refill your "life" because it was a prostitute.

And the way the game works, you start as Jeckyll and instead of a life meter, you have a sanity meter. When it reaches 0, you transform into Hyde, change worlds and go into a more traditional "shoot the enemies with your magical power ball" type of level. Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.

Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.

It's been a long time since I played it, and it wasn't extensively at that, but what? So you're penalized for progressing in the game, more or less? I realize that the idea is probably that "oh no! Hyde's evil or something!" but really?

Anyone ever played "Nyet"? I first played it in the 90's on my old IBM P/S 1. Seemed to be a rendition of Tetris ( I don't care if its a clone or original, w.e.) . Level 9, as SOON as you hit enter to start level, the screen fills with Tetrads and you fail...

And I always found Metal Gear for NES was an amazing fun challenge (if you play properly)

Ans since this is Zophar's I'm hoping ROM hacks count? If so, I'd like to elect Zelda: Parallel Worlds, and Super Metroid: Redesign.

Easily two of the most intensely difficult games I've ever played.

On the subject of rom hack's, I still remember playing through Anikiti's Luigi hack for SMW. I mean, c'mon, that was years ago, and I remember the author's name? That game definately busted a few of my nerves, as well as the blister that developed on my fingers, but it was well made, well designed.

Earthworm Jim is pretty tough, and definately the first TMNT game by Ultra. Hmm otherwise I'd have to say Bucky O'Hare for NES is a very nice challenge .

Of course with the exception of hacks, savestates negate the challenge. I remember having to rent battletoads 5 times same as bucky, before i finished it hehe.

Back
Top Bottom