Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Hard: Frustratingly control breakingly hard

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Moderate: Right mix of challenge and frustration. Just right

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Easy: Boring casual gamers zone

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I never did play that one. ill have to go check it out some time. yes the japanese believe that we cant handle some of there games they deem too hard.

Oh no, I know. I've seen that cited as the reason the 'proper' SMB 2 never came out in the US. I just think we would have been able to survive somehow. lol

R-type series and Contra 3 come to mind. Also Actraiser 2. All for SNES.

On the PS, Megaman X6, ODT. I'm sure there are more.

It also seems like when a Japanese game (FFXII comes to mind) is released in the U.S., a newer and more awesome version is released in Japan shortly afterward. Damn you, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Damn you, I say!

It also seems like when a Japanese game (FFXII comes to mind) is released in the U.S., a newer and more awesome version is released in Japan shortly afterward. Damn you, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Damn you, I say!

I actually read a GameFAQs review of the FF12 International (the only one on the site), and it was rather lukewarm. It's apparently a fair bit easier than regular FF12, the new License Boards can be rather frustrating as your chosen jobs cannot be changed, the most powerful spells have be got from obscure treasure chests rather then being bought at shops, some of the new weapons have a very unfinished feel to them, and the most powerful new weapons also have be found from treasure chests on airships (which only have about a 1 in 1000 chance of containing the weapon you're looking for).

All in all, it had some improvements but some very questionable changes too.

I actually read a GameFAQs review of the FF12 International (the only one on the site), and it was rather lukewarm. It's apparently a fair bit easier than regular FF12, the new License Boards can be rather frustrating as your chosen jobs cannot be changed, the most powerful spells have be got from obscure treasure chests rather then being bought at shops, some of the new weapons have a very unfinished feel to them, and the most powerful new weapons also have be found from treasure chests on airships (which only have about a 1 in 1000 chance of containing the weapon you're looking for).

All in all, it had some improvements but some very questionable changes too.

But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

But, still...there's more "International Versions" for games than just FFXII, right?

Star Ocean Till The End Of Time had one i think. Final Fantasy X i heard had one too. i dont see how many of the nintendo games could get any harder than they already were.

I know FFX did, but cool thing there was that the European version of FFX was so late that it was based on FFX International, meaning I effectively have that here. Unlike FF12 International, FFX International actually has improvements you'd want to have (raised difficulty, choice of sphere grids right from the start, dark aeons). I was disappointed the same didn't happen with FF12 until I read the above review and realized we got the best deal.

River Raid-Atari It was relentless non stop river raid'en!!!
(I still have nightmares!)

Street Fighter 2010-NES The game was cool graphically(for its time) but was such a pain.

Cobra Triangle-NES..could you beat the triangle? Freaken sweet times.

Nintendo and Atari were the king of non save one life start the stage over games..I could say most of em were fairly hard.

In more modern times..I'd have to say most of the Japanese (action) titles on the 360 have some crazy feats..but nothing takes the cake like racing for 50+hours in Need for Speed: Carbon and still not getting an acheivement..and thats an EA Game!

Last edited:
THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED AS THERE SO MANY SIDE MISSIONS YA DNT KNOW WHERE 2 GO IS OBLIVION ON XBOX 360 IT MAKES ME SICK:mad:

THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED AS THERE SO MANY SIDE MISSIONS YA DNT KNOW WHERE 2 GO IS OBLIVION ON XBOX 360 IT MAKES ME SICK:mad:

Oh hai!

keyboard4.jpg

Consider this your official warning. posting in all caps and using "2" instead of "to" will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record. Followed by a temporary ban.

If I remember correctly, almost every Final Fantasy game released since 7 (and including 7) has an international version that includes some or all of the changes made for the US version then adds even more changes.

Triggs said:
yes the japanese believe that we cant handle some of there games they deem too hard. there are instances where theyve released an easier version of a game in the states than they released over there. im not sure but i think its more geared toward rpgs. my brother was doin research into that subject.

That's true sometimes. For example, one of my favorite games, Act Raiser, was made significantly easier for the US version. However, other times the game is made harder for its US release. Sometimes the game just gets other changes to the point where it's hardly recognizable. It's not so much some sort of xenophobic belief on the part of the Japanese developers that Americans won't be able to handle hard games as it is the US office's belief that the difficulty needs to be changed to ensure better sales.

If you want to play a game that's hard for all the right reasons (no cheap deaths) play Alundra sometime. If the ice block puzzle doesn't make you want to fling a controller across the room, you're a better gamer than I.

I don't care for games that go out of their way to be exceedingly hard. I don't like those that are too easy, either, though.
I bought Wind Waker for the Gamecube when it first came out and didn't start playing it until a few weeks ago. It's got the right combination, and I'm enjoying it big time.
On a similar note, please don't make fun, but I had a hell of a time with Sonic Heroes.
That could just be my reflexes diminishing with age.

Oblivion can be challenging, but I don't understand what you mean by this. The active missions are listed in your quest book and they usually explain exactly what you need to do. The missions for the main quest, in particular, are usually pretty unambiguous. I got confused by a few side missions (and some are even buggy), but they're not required to finish the game.

I'm going to add Brahma Force [PS1] to the list.

Very obscure, but maybe someone besides me will have tried it/own it.

Back
Top Bottom