Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

icenine0

I've been playing this on DOSBox, so I guess it's emulation now.

In my internet travels, I came across a collection of every classic Sierra Adventure ever produced, and I've decided to play "catch up" on all the titles I missed. I just polished off the Space Quest series (discounting 6, whose troubled development was very apparent through the 20 minutes I gave it) and have moved on to the Knight series. Regarding the first game ...

If you haven't played it ... DO, NOW. This is my favorite Sierra adventure. A lot of people give KQ6 that title, but I'd hand it out to GK1.

Its art and location design is nothing short of stunning -- every background looks like a lavish oil painting, and each area is filled out with knickknacks, "curios," and dusty merchandise which, though completely unnecessary to completing the game, yield an extra game's worth of entertainment. The amount of recorded description for lamp posts, trees, benches, jazz bands, desks, and antique drum sets is incredible. It must have been a true labor of love for the voice actress recording hundreds of lines like "The park administrators would not appreciate Gabriel doing that to the statue."

The breadth of conversation you can have with characters is also incredible. When a new topic becomes available, you can talk to EVERYBODY about it -- right down to asking your bartender about obscure voodoo idols. Every major character also has an enthralling personal history, which you can inquire about at length. And all this dialog comes from stellar veteran actors -- Tim Curry, Mark Hamill (whose Detective Mosely is one of my favorite characters in anything ever), Michael Dorn ...

Oh, and lest I forget, the puzzles, plot, and gameplay are awesome. The slowly unraveling murder mystery is gripping and, although there are some incredibly difficult puzzles, I only had to consult a walkthrough once.

Really, the level of detail in this game almost makes me feel like I'm visiting somewhere and meeting people. I don't think it's been met before or since.
<P ID="signature"></P>

Holy shit, I've got to get DOSbox working.

Damn, why do video games take up so much of my time?
<P ID="signature"></P>

> I've been playing this on DOSBox, so I guess it's emulation
> now.

This series and the Dig have really been of interest to me lately. Since you recommended it I grabbed this one first though the other is still on my hard drive too. The game certainly has a lot of personality, particularly with the type of narrator they chose and the setting it self being so unique.

I've got to ask though, if you've played the Dig, how do they compare?

<P ID="signature"></P>

> This series and the Dig have really been of interest to me
> lately. Since you recommended it I grabbed this one first
> though the other is still on my hard drive too.

I'm playing through the second right now, and I must say, I was initially really disappointed at the number of sacrifices made to incorporate the FMV. If the first game was maximalist, the second game is minimalist: one(!) interaction icon, limited character animation, fixed position in most scenes, and sparse/recycled music. Also, the empty blue screened sets (instead of the colorful bgs and portraits of the original) took some getting used to.

However, for all that, it's definitely grown on me. I had to wait until about chapter 2/3 for it to get really interesting, but now the story's taking off with lots of good characters and plenty of intrigue. Definitely a worthy game in its own right and one of the best of the FMV era, but, still, I don't see why it gets more attention than its predecessor.

> The game certainly has a lot of personality, particularly with the
> type of narrator they chose and the setting it self being so unique.

Yeah, the narrator's superb. Most narrators I want to nix after about 30 minutes (Space Quest IV, for example), but GK's never grated on me.

I'm hoping http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/graymatter/news.html?sid=6156436&mode=previewsGray Matter</A> (Jane Jensen's upcoming 2D game) has similar production values. The BG art looks really promising so far.

> I've got to ask though, if you've played the Dig, how do
> they compare?
>

Unfortunately, I haven't played the Dig yet, but I've always liked its premise. I'm WAAAYY behind on classic LucasArts adventures, even moreso than Sierra.

Games to finish:
DOTT
The Dig
Monkey Islands
Indiana Joneses
<P ID="signature"></P>

i meant to comment on this before. want to check it out as i'm an old sierra adventure game fan (been through most of the kings quest and space quest) but never did catch this one. thanks for the recommendation.

will return and report.
<P ID="signature">http://www.directionless.bravehost.com
m_ec3cad9605e5bc2dfcc88a3a32b13eaa.jpg
</a></P>

Back
Top Bottom