forwarding running X clients

hcs

I use X11 forwarding over SSH a lot on campus, but I'd like to be able to use it without actually starting the X client from SSH. Such as, I have a program running on my dorm machine, displaying on it's X server, is there a way I can SSH into it and have it reconnect the client to the remote X server? Or do I have to exit the client and restart it with DISPLAY set for the forwarding (which I do regularly already)?
I know there are some other programs to allow this, but I'd like to do it with just X and SSH if possible...
<P ID="signature"></P>

> I know there are some other programs to allow this, but I'd
> like to do it with just X and SSH if possible...

Sounds like what your needing is called 'screen'. It's console based so I'm not sure if it will work for X11. But give it a lookup and see if that will work for you.
<P ID="signature"><hr width=75%>
<center>
BurningShit.jpg
</center></P>

> Sounds like what your needing is called 'screen'.

Yeah, I've worked with screen. It's only for text terminals.
<P ID="signature"></P>

> Something like this, maybe:

Yep, that document was helpful when I was learning X11 forwarding over SSH. Not so much anymore.

What I seem to be gathering is that it's not possible, so you have to have something *like* an X server that the client connects to, then that variously connects to real servers.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by hcs on 04/03/06 08:22 PM.</FONT></P>

> What I seem to be gathering is that it's not possible, so
> you have to have something *like* an X server that the
> client connects to, then that variously connects to real
> servers.

So is a VNC server/client setup out of the question?
<P ID="signature">_______________________________________
</P>

> So is a VNC server/client setup out of the question?
>
I was thinking about suggesting that...I'm able to run X apps via vncviewer...fucking simple too!
<P ID="signature"></P>

> So is a VNC server/client setup out of the question?

Does that do essentially what I said, stand as a go-between for the clients and the actual server? If that's the only way then I guess I'll look into it...
<P ID="signature"></P>

So I set up VNC, seems to work nicely except there's a root window... I'd rather run it rootless. Is there a way to achieve this?

[edit]
still wondering about that, but not worrying much anymore since I have discovered http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.htmlthe source of all awesome</a>.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by hcs on 04/06/06 08:55 AM.</FONT></P>

> still wondering about that, but not worrying much anymore
> since I have discovered the source of all awesome.
>

he's right. it is pretty awesome, thanks for pointing to that
does anyone know if its possible to have vnc work like remote desktop in the sense that what i do doesnt show up at my terminal? nothing major, but it would be nice
<P ID="signature">Chris

/personal/mfc/newsig.png</P>

> does anyone know if its possible to have vnc work like
> remote desktop in the sense that what i do doesnt show up at
> my terminal? nothing major, but it would be nice

Ordinarily it runs like that, just run vncserver and it starts up it's own desktop, typically on :1
<P ID="signature"></P>

> Ordinarily it runs like that, just run vncserver and it
> starts up it's own desktop, typically on :1
>
i know how to do that when i already have an active session at my desktop, but it dies when i log out... how would you run vncserver at startup so it has its own port?
<P ID="signature">Chris

/personal/mfc/newsig.png</P>

I seem to remember reading something about starting it with xinetd... but I don't think that's what you want.

When I installed vncserver on FC4 it set up an init script (/etc/init.d/vncserver), which was disabled by default. The /etc/sysconfig/vncservers contains the configuration for each server you want to run on startup. I just tried it out and it seems to work, runs as whatever user you specify.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by hcs on 04/08/06 01:23 PM.</FONT></P>

Back
Top Bottom