Edit time limit

Isildur

Should a time limit perhaps be instituted for editing posts, as I believe we had on wwwthreads? Gutted threads like this one (and even some less extreme examples) can leave latecoming thread readers wondering "Wtf?". Additionally, if people know that their words will be permanent, they might choose them more carefully to begin with. Lastly, should an argument arise in a thread, adding a time limit could lessen the potential for abuse of the edit function-- that is, an attempt to make it seem like one originally said something else, while explaining away the "Last edited by ___" footer by claiming it's merely the result of a trivial edit such as a spelling correction. (As it stands now, can moderators see a diff history?)

Good point (that is pretty bad use of the edit function). What does everyone else think? If there are no objections I'll look into what our options are within the board software.

my main concern is it limits the time for legitimate edits. I always hated the 6 hour limit at the old ZD. Also, as Mods/Admins, we can revert the changes back.

EDIT: and I just did, ha!

my main concern is it limits the time for legitimate edits. I always hated the 6 hour limit at the old ZD. Also, as Mods/Admins, we can revert the changes back.

EDIT: and I just did, ha!

Reverted what now? And yes I know, I was just waiting for more opinions before I changed the way something like that worked on the board since I'm all about democracy.

I think in the case of a one-time-help thread like that one, once it seems like the problem is solved it would probably be just as easy to either lock the thread or delete it entirely.

I think in the case of a one-time-help thread like that one, once it seems like the problem is solved it would probably be just as easy to either lock the thread or delete it entirely.

Locking seems overkill to me. I definitely wouldn't delete such threads, as there's a chance they could be useful to other people with the same questions; at least half of the times that I've encountered a technical problem that had me stumped, an internet search turned up a thread that some similarly stymied soul started on the subject in some forum or another, and sure enough, a few posts down I find an answer.

*dutifully goes to sit in the unnecessary alliteration penalty box* :badjoke:

Sometimes people make a mistake even after double checking their posts (I have I have had, double words) which would... we've all been there. So give them two minutes to edit without displaying "last edited by username".

Locking seems overkill to me. I definitely wouldn't delete such threads, as there's a chance they could be useful to other people with the same questions;

That's exactly why I wouldn't lock it or delete it. Someone else might benefit from the questions he asked.

Back
Top Bottom