E3 2010 Official Discussion Thread

Reaper man

Hey guys, it's that time of the year again!

Feel free to discuss the various ongoings/announcements of this year's E3 going on this week in this thread.

So far, we know that MS will reveal the XBOX 360 slim and showcase Kinect (formally known as "Project Natal")

Anyway, their conference will be at 10:30AMPST (1:30PM EST, 6:30PM GMT) I'm looking forward to it!

I'll provide a useful template that will likely cover 95% of the games announced:

"_____ 2 looks awesome!"

"_____ 2 is going to suck!"

I assume they called it Kinect because it sounds like of like "kinetic" and you control the thing by moving around, but I dunno...I don't really like how that sounds.

"If you start hurling vomit at me and try to tear me to shreds, I don't care if you're a baby, I'm going to take your skull off."

Greatest quote ever to come out of an E3.

so far, Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft had their conferences.

Microsoft: For the most part, "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE CASUAL GAMES WE HAVE FOR KINECT LOL." Then there was the typical "Halo, Gears of War, ETC ETC" shooter showcase. YAWN. Metal Gear Rising looked fucking awesome though. It's a shame that the ONLY worthwhile game shown was not an exclusive. They also revealed the new 360 slim, which is shipping immediately. Too bad we knew about it last night. They also bribed gave one away to all who attended. Oh and ESPN. Gee, they aren't trying to appeal to the fratboy demographic at all.... no sir. Lame. Grade: D

EA: The NFS: Hot Pursuit Remake looks fun as all hell. Also the new bulletstorm game looks badass. Other than that, nothing too special, but hey, at least they were showing, you know, GAMES, so kudos to them. Grade: C+

Ubisoft:I honestly think they were clearly confused where the fuck they were. I slept through most of it (since to be honest, I didn't really care. Ubisoft can go fuck themselves after the whole DRM fiasco), but from what I heard, they were for the most part showing anything BUT games. A laser tag game that only keeps score? A "screennsaver?" A fitness "game?" Just wow. Okay there were a couple of games thrown in ther (Driver, Assasin's Creed, even a Rayman game) but that doesn't make up for the absolute fail the rest of the conference was about. Grade: F

Anyway, Nintendo and Sony's are tomorrow at 9AM and 12PM respectively. I'm fairly certain that these ones will be much, MUCH fucking better. (at least, I KNOW Nintendo's will, what with Zelda and the 3DS and all)

(also, if you don't mind the 4chan community, join #/v/e3 on Rizon during the conferences for hilarity.)

Yeah, I wish that I could be here to see Nintendo's stuff live like I was lucky enough to see last year (have to go into work early today).

As was repeatedly pointed out by the people on G4, regarding Microsoft's ESPN announcement. "We could care less about ESPN but if they can do it with them, they can do it with other content providers as well, which is what we've been looking forward to since they first announced that intention back on the original Xbox."

I'll admit that NFS: Hot Pursuit looked pretty awesome. And I hate driving games. Dead Space 2, which I've been waiting for, also looked really great. Unfortunately, thanks to the new EA Online Pass system, I refuse to buy anything from EA.

The new Assassin's Creed game looked pretty bad ass. I still haven't played AC2 yet, but I have to get it soon for a journalism project.

I'm sure Nintendo will announce something that will interest me but seeing as how the only current system I own is a 360 and I have no intention of getting any of the others, I won't bother to watch them.

I´ve tried to watch some livefeeds from Nintendo and Sony - fuck the braodcasters. Three streams sucked. Only on Gametrailers I could watch some footage. Anyway, although I have DSL 6k - livestreaming sucks as in 1999.
Nintendo:
Okay, I don´t own a Wii and am not interested in the whole bunch of sequels like Zelda, Metroid, Mario-Sports and so on.
Their new Handheld, the 3DS, looks nice. I guess we´ll get some real cool portable device with this one.
Sony:
All I can say is: I like to move it! :thumb up:

Nintendo stole the show. The 3DS hardware preview as well as The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword was all they needed to make them a success but they showed so much more.
Pilotwings (the first one in 14 years), Kid Icarus, and Starfox 64 for the 3DS got me a bit excited.
Not to mention leaked pictures of a upgraded remake of Ocarina of Time for the 3DS

BUT

Skywards Sword looks pretty freaking amazing; the beautiful love child of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. The only thing that bugs me is I don't like the font they are using for "Skyward Sword".

Microsofts Slim 360 just looks like a PC tower. Not bad but arent they trying to target a younger demographic? I would get one but I can't stand the fact that all my fingerprints would be visible on every touch of the console. Which I'd have to do in order to get the harddrive out. But the touch senstive buttons just look cool :D

The Kinect looks interesting but not worthy of $150. "Kinect"...kinetic as in movement and connect as it brings people together? Hell if I know.

Add Portal 2, Dead Rising 2 and Fable III to my want list. I don't think I've seen a single new property that I'm interested in yet, though I would probably be all over Epic Mickey if it were coming out on a real console.

Edit: And Fallout: New Vegas.

Last edited:
O_O

It's called Skyward Sword? Damn, I need to watch the presentation. (just got home a little while ago from work)

*edit*
I've wanted a Zelda game like this one since I saw the Wii. I can't wait to play this.

Last edited:
I only hope, Nintendo won´t have been launched a 3DS lite and/or a 3DS XL in the end. Zelda indeed looks good. But I´m not a fan nor a serious rpg player. I liked Zelda on the SNES, the only installement of it I´ve played so far.

The last console Zelda I played was Majora's Mask and the last handheld version was Minish Cap. When did they switch it to an RPG?

The last console Zelda I played was Majora's Mask and the last handheld version was Minish Cap. When did they switch it to an RPG?

The more recent ones are not really RPGs any more than the older ones were back in the SNES days (or N64 days if you prefer).

Also, @schmoke: Makes me glad I didn't end up buying a DSi XL since 3DS is coming out.

Link to it's page on Youtube
I think I should post this here since I'm certain most aren't even aware this game exists.

*edit*
Hm, I don't think I can embed it without flash...but anyway, I should give a description (you're right there). It's for a Wii game called Lost in Shadow. I don't really know anything about the story, but you play as someone's shadow that has been separated, and you seem to be journeying up this huge tower, presumably to rejoin your body. It looks really interesting, and as you might expect light seems to factor very heavily into the game since you're a shadow. Other than that, it's easier for you to just watch the video. :)

Last edited:
You might want to provide a synopsis for those of us who don't have Flash installed. (Or since it's apparently a YouTube video, just post it without Flash.)

Through out what I've seen at E3, I'm really most excited for the Nintendo 3DS. Its not because I'm a fanboy or anything, I just love the fact that Nintendo is confident enough to release revolutionary technology to a wide demographic at what will be a reasonable price.
I really do not know how the PSP2 is going to trump this. Besides improved graphics and possible a touch screen, Sony better offer something that will help it compete.

I'm not feeling the sense of giddiness for Skyward Sword that I did for Twilight Princess, though, but that's probably for the best. I still have to wait at least another 7 months before its release. :( I think the reason why is that the trailer didn't do it enough justice.

Back
Top Bottom