Concerning the legality

Mario-Fan

Hello!

I´m from Germany, and must say to the author(s) of the web page, that your site is very interesting and informative.

German web pages about Nintendo, Mario and so on don´t get approxemately to this level.

Nevertheless I have the following question:

Do you (the author) had once already problems, because you´re offering Roms and Music from the games? I hadn´t once already downloaded a Rom, but I´m interested in this. I think, this has to become legal, because Nintendo doesn´t suffer a loss, when somebody downloads games, that can´t be bought anymore . Hence I would like even to ask, if somebody of the downloaders from Roms has gotten a punishment, because he has downloaded copyright reserved content. 1 € per game is then the punishment?

In this way the question is also adressed to the user: Do you one already hs gotten an accusation because of downloading here http://roms.zophar.net/ roms or music of the games?

Thank you very much for answering beforehand!

Yours sincerely,
Mario-Fan

PS: Don´t misperceive me: I don´t condemn rom sites and their downloaders, I only asked myself, if there once already were accusations concerning downloading or offering Roms and their music.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is almost incomprehensible (though almost certainly better English than my German), but I'll take a stab at answering it anyway.

Do you (the author) had once already problems, because you´re offering Roms and Music from the games?
No, I don't think there's been any legal trouble over the ROM site. It seems the game manufacturers are less interested in these small-scale ROM sites now they've got torrent sites with PlayStation 2 games and beyond to think about. Some people still get very tetchy about piracy in general (the Gaia Online Software Police) or some ROMs in particular (Pleasuredome), but the continued existence of various ROM sites blatantly flaunting the rules seems to show that the feared beast is actually a paper tiger.

I hadn´t once already downloaded a Rom, but I´m interested in this. I think, this has to become legal, because Nintendo doesn´t suffer a loss, when somebody downloads games, that can´t be bought anymore.
It never become legal, it's just that Nintendo has stopped caring. They're making more than enough from casual gamers with Wiis and DSes, the Virtual Console has running costs so tiny that they're likely making a profit even with most people getting older games online. Maybe Nintendo finally realized that going after ROM sites costs more than they were ever going to make in return.

Hence I would like even to ask, if somebody of the downloaders from Roms has gotten a punishment, because he has downloaded copyright reserved content. 1 € per game is then the punishment?
I've actually never heard of anyone getting sued in the same way the RIAA has infamously done, though the RIAA would be asking for a hell of a lot more than 1€ per game if they started going after us.

In this way the question is also adressed to the user: Do you one already hs gotten an accusation because of downloading here http://roms.zophar.net/ roms or music of the games?
No, and I uncensored the site. It's a fucking sub-domain, I'd say if it's against the rules then it shouldn't be hosted on and branded as Zophar's Domain.

@Lillymon: Thank you very much for your detailed answer!
I know, due to my incomprehensible English is was for you aggrevated, to answer.

Furthermore much success and pleasure with your web page!

To answer another question I think you asked, the music has never been a problem so far as I know. I don't think I've ever heard of a site getting in trouble for hosting SPC files, NSF files, and things like that.

To answer another question I think you asked, the music has never been a problem so far as I know. I don't think I've ever heard of a site getting in trouble for hosting SPC files, NSF files, and things like that.

Except for the one April Fool's Day prank where the ZD front page was replaced with one of those FBI takedown pages citing the hosting of copyrighted music/data or something like that :D

Back
Top Bottom