Component Switch Question

Diskeater

I'm in the market for a decent component switch to add to my home entertainment center. I have two devices that use component, one that uses s-video, and around three that use composite.

My TV can accept two component inputs and three composite / s-video inputs. With the release of the Wii on the horizon, I would have to disconnect either the DVD player (not happening) or the xbox.

Or....buy a component switch. That is where ZMD comes in.

I have a shitty A/V switch right now that does composite. I got it at Radio Shack for like $10 a few years back but it is quite past its prime.

The only reasonably priced one that I could find online was http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=family&summary=summary&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=techSpecs&cp=2032057.2032187.2032188.2032200&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&accessories=accessories&productId=2290529&support=support&tab=summarythis</a> one from Radio Shack.

I'm willing to spend around $150 or so for one.

Any suggestions?
<P ID="signature">http://www.badjawa.com
signature.jpg
</a></img></P>

> I'm willing to spend around $150 or so for one.
>
> Any suggestions?

Don't waste your money? Or watch DVDs through your Xbox or something.
<P ID="signature">
politicians.jpg
</P>

> Don't waste your money? Or watch DVDs through your Xbox or
> something.

I guess I should add that I have two xboxs that we use on a regular basis and we have to switch the component cable to the one we want to use since we don't want to suffer with *gasp* standard definition while gaming. It would be real nice to be able to leave both plugged in.

<P ID="signature">http://www.badjawa.com
signature.jpg
</a></img></P>

Well, if you need a switch that includes all three component lines plus the two for audio in each switch position, I don't know what to recommend. But if you don't, you could get away with using something like your composite switchbox that has the one composite line and two audio lines for each switch. All you have to do is run two of the component wires through the lines meant for audio and the other through the single composite, and there you go. As long as the switchbox is not made of crappy parts (which, no offense, your $10 baby might be), you shouldn't lose any quality.

Speaking of quality, I'm going to have to recommend that you stay away from pelican and all really cheap no-name brand stuff, especially Chinese ebay junk. I've been searching for a decent scart switchbox for some time now, and all the cheap stuff compromises quality in close tests with direct connections.

Even if you do need audio to go through your switchbox, it will probably still be cheaper just to get two boxes and deal with two sets of buttons. If you want to keep it simple and you've got money to spend, that's your call. But you can definitely get two decent switchboxes with composite, audio, and even S-video for less than $100.
<P ID="signature">
sonicsig1.txt
sonicsig2.txt

</P>

Back
Top Bottom