Anyone following the new update to Portal?

The 9th Sage

It's pretty mysterious....there's a new achievement. I noticed it as soon as I started playing, the radios in game are different. you need to take any one that you find around the level with you and eventually you find a spot with static and with some luck, a message that's evidently morse code.

I think there's 20 some odd of them, found about half of them thus far. It seems to tie into some kind of alternate reality game...it's pretty fascinating really. People are finding some really cool things.

I think GlaDOS is in the process of rebooting. ;)

*edit*
At the risk of spoiling it (if someone else is trying to figure this out...so...)
SPOILER
SPOILER
My favorite thing so far is a freaking BBS number people puzzled out. I wish I had a modem so I could try it. People have connected to it and gotten a prompt to log into GlaDOS....she did say she was still alive, that she had science to do. O_O

Last edited:

Reaper man

*loads up portal*

Hooleee shit, you're right. The forums though are like completely lit up with speculation. The current popular rumor is that it's pointing to HL2 episode 3 with a possible portal 2 tie-in.

The 9th Sage

*loads up portal*

Hooleee shit, you're right. The forums though are like completely lit up with speculation. The current popular rumor is that it's pointing to HL2 episode 3 with a possible portal 2 tie-in.

I think that it's probably something to do with a new Portal game (would make more sense to me). If it was out and out Half Life 2: Episode 3 it seems like they'd have stuck something into one of the HL games too (I mean, they've done a LOT of pretty ornate stuff here). Also, the thing I mention above seems to have what I think HAS to be quotes from Cave Johnson, CEO (former?) of Aperture Science (if you want to find some info on Cave, if you haven't already go to the Aperture Science website and use the login that you'll find on the wall in game in Portal..Cjohnson:Tier3 I believe). There were auditions for him a long while back for a probable Portal 2...don't know if anything ever came of that though, it was quite a long while ago. Really want to 'meet' that guy...he reminds me of Fred Willard because of these quotes, though Cave is probably ACTUALLY insane.

Also, this radio challenge is pretty fun..I've had to think pretty creatively/do interesting things to get to many of these. Even if there wasn't OMG HAX to find, this new achievement is pretty cool.

Last edited:

The 9th Sage

They changed the ending. Gave me the biggest "wtf?" moment in a good way earlier when I finished playing through it again on my quest for the fabled radios. (evidently this change was made yesterday..."Added valuable asset retrieval").

Has a company ever changed the ending in a game like this before? I suppose you could say they extended the ending more than actually changing it though.

Burzy

Awesome Member
lot better than waiting for a "sequel". Perhaps also devs are now seeing the appeal that home-brewers have for "new endings" or changing things around. Now they are simply doing it for us! :)

The 9th Sage

I know I thought it was cool. I was replaying it anyway for the radio challenge (as I like to call it) and to have this extended ending was pretty amazing. Had the effect of getting me hyped about Portal again too, so mission accomplished Valve.

Top Bottom