11-9-96...13 years later and still here!

Zophar

Original Founder
Hey everyone,

I know I don't drop by very often but, at least for me, 13 has always been a lucky number. I'm really glad to see the site is still around - though leadership has changed many times over the years and the site has gone through a lot of changes and facelifts, typing in the words "emulation" in google still bring this site up in the top 10! That's an incredible feat and it's thanks to all of you. Though I have a different career these days, and a house and fiance to think about, somehow the old games and the power of emulation keep bringing me back for more.

As I sit here, I'm playing an NSF (Batman) in Winamp using an NSF plugin... which is running on a Windows 7 "Parallels" Virtual Machine... inside Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard....

Some things never change. ;)

Emulation Forever!

Brad "Zophar" Levicoff

Brad, I'm impressed, in my opinion that is one of the better soundtracks out there for the NES. I'd only rank Mega Man 2 and Kirby's Adventure higher.

Yeah, 13 years... I remember getting my very first Emulator here about 13 years ago... I think it was NESTICLE, the internet was all shiny and dial-up, and I was 7. You know, Zophar, there are alot of documents and tutorials that redirect people here too. It's a household name :p

And to follow a similar structure to your post, I happen to be listening to the F-Zero X soundtrack on Winamp 2.80... which is running on Windows 98se inside the oldest computer that I could find left from my childhood. I mostly keep it running because I'm a freak and I like old and crappy things...

You know, Zophar, there are alot of documents and tutorials that redirect people here too. It's a household name :p

It's true! The other day I was messing around with the Dolphin emulator playing Sonic Unleashed and my son was like, "Woah how are you playing Wii on the computer!" I was like, "Zophar man.....Zophar." :bigthumbup:

Red-XIII's right. I mentioned ZD in a local EB Games a few years ago and there were two or three kids who knew what ZD was and more amazingly, knew who I was.

Red-XIII's right. I mentioned ZD in a local EB Games a few years ago and there were two or three kids who knew what ZD was and more amazingly, knew who I was.

Had one guy working in Little Caesar's pizza literally a 100 feet from my shop and we were talking games and emulators. I ended up finding out he recognized my name from this forum. Feels pretty cool finding that out. I also know many who have used the archive here also without me telling them beforehand.

Wow, really? I'd never expect anyone to know who any of us are. :retardedlol: I guess someone has indeed been reading the site then.

You know, Zophar, there are alot of documents and tutorials that redirect people here too. It's a household name :p

Because many of my other interests are similar (demoscene, game music, classic gaming, computer history), i find ZD referenced quite commonly when referencing non-emulation boards.

I think its safe to say that among the more techie net circles, this site is legendary... perhaps even iconic given its spot on the net historical time line.

Of course we have to remind ourselves we are all part of a much larger elite slice of culture that is aware of the geek-essence of the net. There's an entire population of mostly older people who's net knowledge is primarily of Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Online banking, whatever else is advertised on commercial, etc... And there's a large teen/pre-teen population that has never known life before the internet, and still suck at it, being too young and having only a peripheral, perhaps even jocular, awareness of all things internet.

/broad generalization & speculation

Knowing Zophar's Domain is certainly a badge of pride in this context. Why we don't all have t-shirts is beyond me!

''01/01/98
Well, It's 1998. We're one year closer to the destruction of the world. So make you sure you purchase your bomb shelters from Zophar (c) Corporations. Have a good(?) New Year!

What a great way to celebrate the new Year (did you know 666 + 666 + 666 = 1998?)''

Ah, those were simpler times...

Back
Top Bottom