Cave Story coming out on Wiiware tommorow in NA (also, a way to win a copy)

The 9th Sage

I don't know if anyone is anticipating Cave Story's release in the US on Wiware Monday like I am, but Nicalis is giving out free copies of it as you'll find out here. If you have a Wii, you really need to play the game, especially if you've not played the PC version, though it has a bunch of new modes as well as the remixed music and higher res artwork, so I feel it's worth it either way.

That's why I'm mentioning it here since I love the freaking game. If you haven't heard, it's a great little indie action adventure game that many have compared to games like Metroid (with the looks and music to match...it's somewhere between a NES and SNES game). You play as a boy who wakes up in a cave with no memory of who he is or what he's even doing there...the answers and more will be revealed to you as you blast through a bunch of enemies (with awesome boss battles) and explore your way through the floating island you find yourself on.

Trying to avoid spoilers is hard. Anyway, here's this video too (you can find tons of gameplay video of the PC version on Youtube as well...this one uses footage of the PC version):

I'm probably preaching to the choir with all of you, but I want to get as many people playing this game as I can. :p For anyone wanting to check out the PC version, you can find an easy download of it here on this fansite. It was translated by Aeon Genesis, they did some great work. I have to thank Gideon Zhi and ShihTzu for this one, since without them I have a feeling this game would not have had a chance to become as well known to some of us in the English speaking world as it has.

It's out now, and very awesome. If you have a Wii and you're reading this website, you have no excuses at all not to go buy it. ;)

So many cool wii ware games these days. I needed to use an SD card to fit them all on my wii. Maybe I'll get this when I get paid.

Eh, I may see about giving it a go after the HL series then.

I'm not even too sure how many points I have left. I may not be able to afford it, haha.

Eh, I may see about giving it a go after the HL series then.

I'm not even too sure how many points I have left. I may not be able to afford it, haha.

It's worth the $12 to be sure. I know how you feel though....I have so many games to play right now, heh. I count Half Life among them actually. Thanks to Steam sales, I accumulated quite a backlog while my computer was nigh incapable of playing games without crashing. Then I have several games on the Wii I want to play through as well, then Red Steel 2 has just come out...

It's kind of a nice problem though. lol I will definitely say it's a damn good time to own a Wii. This year is turning out to be a hell of a year.

Metroid: Other M!!

I am too excited to even worry that the gameplay may or may not work out.

Looking forward to that too...I recently saw a leaked video of what was evidently an intro cinematic...it was like a love letter to those of us who remember Super Metroid.

Then there's Mario Galaxy 2 coming out, and I've heard there's a possibility of Zelda Wii this year too, though I'm not absolutely sure on that one. Sin and Punishment 2 is coming out as well. Hell, even Endless Ocean 2 is surprisingly good. I haven't had a ton of experience with the first but it already seems like the second is way better (much more to do, to the point where it even keeps a 'quest book' for you so you don't forget everything).

Yeah, I've heared about a new Zelda. Hopefully there's no wolf this time :p

It's definately looking good this year.

Oh yah I've been playing it now. Word of advice, don't look at your map in the outer wall with new graphics. In case you didn't notice the map is bugged on the new graphics. You'd notice if you looked at the map the first time reaching egg corridor, assuming you picked it up. But for some reasons it seems to be the reason if can freeze in the outer wall.

Also for some reason both version music is bugged. Not that you'd notice much with the new music unless you avidly played the PC version, or had the original on. Hope the get around to fixing it, seams bother some more so than an occasional there/they're its/it's mistake. Especial since other wise it would be a definitive version, unless you care that you can't see the floor/ceiling in some room because of the 4:3, 6:4 rez.

Oh yah I've been playing it now. Word of advice, don't look at your map in the outer wall with new graphics. In case you didn't notice the map is bugged on the new graphics. You'd notice if you looked at the map the first time reaching egg corridor, assuming you picked it up. But for some reasons it seems to be the reason if can freeze in the outer wall.

Also for some reason both version music is bugged. Not that you'd notice much with the new music unless you avidly played the PC version, or had the original on. Hope the get around to fixing it, seams bother some more so than an occasional there/they're its/it's mistake. Especial since other wise it would be a definitive version, unless you care that you can't see the floor/ceiling in some room because of the 4:3, 6:4 rez.

I just heard that actually...I never really use the map so I hadn't noticed, and also about the music problems...I figured they were just going for a more ambient soundtrack but evidently they are supposed to have drums but they weren't playing for some reason. Nicalis has said something about releasing an update for the game, eventually (they said something about maybe the return of "Huzzah!" also, but I only kind of loled at that since the amount of hate it's disappearance has gotten is kind of strangely funny to me). Oh, and I did notice the old music looped a little odd. It's not always noticable though, and you probably wouldn't if you hadn't played the PC version.

Kind of disappointing, hopefully it's fixed up quick. With the dev time of it you'd think they'd have caught this stuff. Otherwise, I'm still having a ton of fun with it. Just got up to the Balcony and got killed by the Core. Aaaah, memories. lol

Okay, I first read here about Cave Story. I downloaded it and passed the first cave right now. Funny game, works great via PS2 Pad hooked up to my PC. Only thing I don´t understand: why is it 12$ on Wiiware!? Kinda expensive for a free game, I guess..

Okay, I first read here about Cave Story. I downloaded it and passed the first cave right now. Funny game, works great via PS2 Pad hooked up to my PC. Only thing I don´t understand: why is it 12$ on Wiiware!? Kinda expensive for a free game, I guess..

The bugs that will hopefully be patched soon aside, it has upgraded graphics (twice the resolution, some nice detail really comes out actually in the redone graphics) and it has three additional gameplay modes (Sanctuary Time Attack, Boss Rush (which is awesome), and a mode where you play through the game as one of the other characters in the game). It has built in Easy and Hard mode too, actually. Even if it's missing it's apparently intended drum track, I still rather like the remixed music too (though if it had the drums it'd be better).

I feel it's worth it...it feels great with my classic controller and looks great on my TV. I want to give money to Pixel too, the guy who created the original PC version and all the new character art for the Wii version and was involved in the process. Sad that it needs bug fixing, but after that it'll easily be the best version of the game I've played.

Ah, alright. That makes sense. With so much additional and updated content 12$ is a good deal. I thought it were just a port from PC to Wii. Unfortunately, I don´t own a Wii, so I´ll go on with the free version. I have a low powered PC for emulation. I´ll install Cave Story there, because that PC is hooked up to my TV - so I´ll get some "filtering" and smoother graphics automatically.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom