Phishing at old site

platypode

Just thought I'd let whoever it concerns know that I, and from the look of things others as well, have been getting (blatantly, almost insultingly, obvious) phishing solicitations via private messages to our accounts at the old site. Since I couldn't find a way to delete my account there, I disabled private messages so I shouldn't be getting these anymore, but I just thought I should let people know it was happening.

And yeah... everyone probably already knows this, but if you get a PM at the old site (or for that matter, any form of message from anywhere) telling you malware or spam has been detected coming from your machine, from someone who could not possibly know that even if it were true, do NOT click on the link it tells you to go to for any reason.

From the old wwwthreads site?

wat... *checks*

Well holy shit, you can still send/receive PMs there. Also, I'm betting swamp never blacklisted gmail email addresses either, wonderful. I'll have to try and see about getting a former wwwthreads admin to fix this.

edit: well, it seems as though no one had made any new accounts. Could you perhaps tell me who is sending these private messages?

Hm...afraid there isn't much that I can do. I had moderator rights there, but we didn't have a global page for general forum settings there that I could access.

The most recent one was from the username MichealUllman; I don't remember, and seem to have deleted, the username on the previous one but it was (and this is a problem in its own right) someone pretending to be an admin. The username was NOT "Administrator" but I do remember it had "Admin" in it somewhere.

Actually, here's the previous one. I'll just copy the complete text here so you'll have a better idea what I'm talking about:

Originally Posted by ALLAdmin
Dear, Omega99;Kirallia;yuujoo;platypode;bjnw777!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://securitytool2010.net/Omega99;...typode;bjnw777
If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).
----------------------------------------------------
Forum Administration roms.zophar.net.

(Username bolded.)

whoa... ROMS.zophar.net?

Yeah, that isn't us at all. You'll need to get a hold of the admin over there (Edman AKA "Administrator") to resolve the issue.

Ah, I thought he was referring to the old site as well. I'm afraid we can do even less about the roms.zophar.net forum.

Actually, here's the previous one. I'll just copy the complete text here so you'll have a better idea what I'm talking about.
I've actually seen this too, but not here:

BoardSupport said:
Dear, Rhapsody;mariana_popoulianna;Burufea;viksvuk;erikb rownn!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://securitytool2010.com/Rhapsody...k;erikb rownn
If you do not pass this test* we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).
----------------------------------------------------
Forum Administration www.gamefileforums.com.
Seems it's a scam going at various sites. I was a bit surprised to get a message from GameFileForums (my last visited status indicated I hadn't used the account for more than two years) and also amused that they were claiming to have found a virus on a well-secured Debian GNU/Linux system.

They really were doing a good job of pretending to be an admin too (down to the the humorous 'Lady Admin' avatar that looked like exactly the sort of thing a board admin of this sort of site would be using), the half-awake me that was looking at it was almost fooled, I'd hate to think what a less knowledgeable user might end up doing. Fortunately this specific user has since been banned, but you know there's going to be more.

Back
Top Bottom