The Awesome Freeware Thread

This is a really old thread. I don't remember posting in it. But a good topic anyway. One that many of us could probably update with freeware we use today.

This is a really old thread. I don't remember posting in it. But a good topic anyway. One that many of us could probably update with freeware we use today.

Then for video/audio conversion I recommend SUPER from erightsoft. Use google to find it and then go through about 3 pages to get to the real download page. Already has all codecs to convert most common video formats to almost any common format.

EASEUS partition manager. Just like partition magic but free.

Go to the AusLogics homepage and get the free disk defrag, then the registry defrag, and finally the registry cleaner and they all work great including the registry cleaner that found a couple of things CCleaner missed.

CCleaner for cleaning up old files, cookies, tempfiles, ect.

Super Copier 2 for copy utility. When your copying like a 1/2 gig of files like after a windows reinstall. Just install this first and this makes the files at the end of the copy time copy just as fast as the first few where explorer usually slows down or even freezes this program goes full blast the entire copy procedure.

Unlocker. Will let you delete that file that windows says is busy or being used without a reboot or any other crap. Really handy for a very small program that runs totally in the background unobtrusive popping up when you need it automatically.

The KM Player. Will play almost any audio or video file you might normally find including wmv and dvd. Has a massive options list by just right clicking and you don't need to download any codecs though I had to install Real Alternative to play one RM file I had that is now an .avi file.

Irfanview. The best image viewer as in options and usability of any other image viewer. Has a slideshow player and thumbnail player built in with many options in sorting and thumbnail/image size.

Just use Google for finding the program homepages.

Shawn covered a lot I would have...I'll add a few more.

DVDflick is a pretty good, very easy to use DVD Authoring program. It, along with ImgBurn and DVD Shrink (as well as a decent DVD Decrypter, which I'm not linking to since I don't have a good recent one) have replaced programs such as Nero Burning ROM for me, and they're free.

I would add:

BIMP Lite: One of the quickest and easiest batch image processors I've used. Just about everything is self-contained on a single screen.

7-Zip: A free compression utility that supports it's own 7z format as well as a host of others. Great alternative to WinRAR.

VirtualBox: A free and powerful cross-platform x86 virtualization application. Comparable in features to VMware Workstation.

Dropbox: An online storage service with a great cross-platform desktop synchronization application. It creates a single "Dropbox" directory on your computer and any files added, removed or changed from it will replicate to all of your other computers using it. One of my favorite things about this service is that the files are stored locally so it can be used without any performance hit as well as offline when needed. They offer a 2GB account for free, 50GB and 100GB accounts are available for a monthly fee.

Also, the following application's aren't free but I think they deserve honorable mentions:

GoodSync: A file synchronization tool. Useful for synchronizing your files across multiple computers. Supports network shares, secure FTP, Amazon S3 and more. My personal uses for it are maintaining my backups and synchronizing my files to my laptop.

GameEx: A game frontend supporting MAME and just about any emulator that can be launched via command line. Also includes media playback functionality and resembles Microsoft's Media Center in appearance.

Unlocker. Will let you delete that file that windows says is busy or being used without a reboot or any other crap. Really handy for a very small program that runs totally in the background unobtrusive popping up when you need it automatically.
I used that when I still had XP, unfortunately it doesn't work with Windows 7 anymore.
LockHunter does.

Here is a list of software I like. Most of you probably know about them already.

Vlc Player : Its a media player that can play all sorts of random audio / video formats.
-
Nexuiz : Its a FPS game that makes me think of Unreal Torment 99.
-
PSPad : A Text editor that is geared toads the person that can code. I like it for the syntax highlighting.
-
FreeBasic Ide (FBide) : FreeBasic its like Qbasic but faster with some improvements and new commands. FBide comes with a old version of FreeBasic.
-
FreeDoom : Umm yeah.... No explanation needed.
-
Psycle : A really complex vst tracker.
-
FamiTracker : A tracker that uses the sound chip from the NES and also supports VRC6 and MMC5 add ons.
-
Audio Overload : sound chip emulator that can play NSF, VGM, YM and some other game music files.
-
Voxelstein 3d : It uses voxels for all the graphics no polygons at all. The tech behind it is the cool part and the fact you can dig threw walls.
-
Warzone 2100 : A Rts game with decent graphics. Most of the people I show it to really like it.
-
The Spring Project : Its a rts engine that has allot of rts games.

Back
Top Bottom