Get rid of roms.zophar.net

Cornellius

We are not affiliated with it and all the links are down anyway. There's still people who come here and thinks and roms.zophar.net is affiliated with Zophar's Domain.

I've bitched at Edman about it. Supposedly, roms.zophar.net is what is keeping ZD running (financially), so he isn't making any plans to cut it off any time soon until ZD can make a profit. ;/

Feel free to offer suggestions.

Well, maybe put another sticky post under the "no rom or iso request" one that says in the title : "Not affiliated with roms.zophar.net" or "We do not support roms.zophar.net" or anything like that.

That or a picture of a prairie dog with a muffin on his head.

w187245239.jpg

How about both?

It's been like this since the beginning. It's kept like it since that's what Zophar always wanted.

Lifting the rule would make ZD, well... less "ZD." There are plenty of places to find ROMs nowadays anyway. Besides, I enjoy banning rom begging kiddie n00bs anyway. ;p

Oh i see....didn't mean to rock the boat.
Just figured it would ease the constant rom requests if we had somewhere for to point them...
But i can respect the wish to remain the way it is.

I always thought the 'No ROM requests' rule gave the site an air of respectability. We'll help with emulation, translations, and ROM hacks, but we don't supply ROMs or tell people where to get them. It also helps that since we don't provide or link to any illegal materials, I can link anyone from anywhere else to here for help with their problems since we don't violate any 'warez site' rules. The ROMs sub-domain takes a lot of that away though...

I've bitched at Edman about it. Supposedly, roms.zophar.net is what is keeping ZD running (financially), so he isn't making any plans to cut it off any time soon until ZD can make a profit. ;/

If it's the hosting costs, there are enough people who would offer free webspace for ZD. Even I could provide some on one of my servers. So a roms subdomain isn't really necessary to keep the site up and running.

Regarding the current rule I think it's the best thing to keep it as it is.
If you allow ROM requests, then it may be just a matter of time until the site becomes another romsite... and these types of sites tend to be closed sooner or later. If I need roms, I never go to Zophar. I get here because of the news, the forum and some emulators, archives etc.

If it's the hosting costs, there are enough people who would offer free webspace for ZD. Even I could provide some on one of my servers. So a roms subdomain isn't really necessary to keep the site up and running.

From what I understand, those free sites couldn't even begin to handle the bandwidth requirements that ZD puts out, so that isn't an option.

I don't understand why we keep it. It's there, wasting space and all the links are dead. On the right hand, we tell people that we offer no roms or isos, but on the left hand, we have a site that has all of them or almost.

Wait...according to the original post, all of the links on the site are down. If that's true, how exactly is it generating a profit?

Why do we still have the no roms rule?
Seems most companies don't even care anymore...

Don't ask. I remember starting a thread about hosting commercial ROMs on ZD, and let's just say that the conversation was rather lengthy and heated.

It's been like this since the beginning. It's kept like it since that's what Zophar always wanted.

Lifting the rule would make ZD, well... less "ZD." There are plenty of places to find ROMs nowadays anyway. Besides, I enjoy banning rom begging kiddie n00bs anyway. ;p

...Brings back memories of Alpha Omega. Ah, good times.

I always thought the 'No ROM requests' rule gave the site an air of respectability. We'll help with emulation, translations, and ROM hacks, but we don't supply ROMs or tell people where to get them. It also helps that since we don't provide or link to any illegal materials, I can link anyone from anywhere else to here for help with their problems since we don't violate any 'warez site' rules. The ROMs sub-domain takes a lot of that away though...

Y'know, I used to be all for hosting commercial ROMs on ZD, but as time has gone on, I've become glad that we don't.

I don't understand why we keep it. It's there, wasting space and all the links are dead. On the right hand, we tell people that we offer no roms or isos, but on the left hand, we have a site that has all of them or almost.

I know, but I've done what I can. :p I feel like Lillymon...that not hosting ROMs is a good thing, like it adds a certain respectability, which is why I've tried to keep them from the main site.

Last edited:
From what I understand, those free sites couldn't even begin to handle the bandwidth requirements that ZD puts out, so that isn't an option.

I'm not talking about the usual freehosting offers.
My servers are in Germany. They are pretty fast and have a large bandwidth. I used to host around 200 pages on one machine without lags. I even hosted browsergames on the same server, spent CPU power to seti@home, rosetta...
But that's only possible because of well tuned hosting software.

I don't intend to advertise my servers. I just wanted to say that if you would ask for fast reliable webspace you could get it from users of your own community. Of course you would still have to select the best offer for yourself.

I'm not talking about the usual freehosting offers.
My servers are in Germany. They are pretty fast and have a large bandwidth. I used to host around 200 pages on one machine without lags. I even hosted browsergames on the same server, spent CPU power to seti@home, rosetta...
But that's only possible because of well tuned hosting software.

I don't intend to advertise my servers. I just wanted to say that if you would ask for fast reliable webspace you could get it from users of your own community. Of course you would still have to select the best offer for yourself.
Well, if you feel that those German servers can handle ZD, feel free to talk to Edman about it.

Back
Top Bottom